Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disney is Testing A Flying Dragon

This is very interesting to see. I really can't think of where it would be used other than for Avatar

• Under that tree again!

This does not look like the birds in Avatar at all. My main reason is those animals have a rear set of wings. These wings greatly effect the aerodynamics and would have to be tested if they were going to be used.

I could see F! getting a new story line and using this since at night the paraglider wing which creates the lift would be very visible during the day.

They do have a very short take off and landing distance. A paragliding wing can allow a very steep landing, though with the appearance of the unsprung body on this tester you would want to drop out of the sky.

• WDW will always be home.

This doesn't really look like any creature from the Avatar movie... Much more like a classic, generic, "fantasy style" (think Lord of the Rings) dragon. So either...

1. This isn't connected to Avatar
    2. This is an Avatar creature that just wasn't in the first movie
    3. Disney designed the exterior of the prototype to not look like something from Avatar to throw us off
    4. The entire article is bogus and the photo isn't connected to Disney at all

I'm kinda leaning towards number 1 or number 4 but we'll see...
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    This doesn't really look like any creature from the Avatar movie... Much more like a classic, generic, "fantasy style" (think Lord of the Rings) dragon. So either...

1. This isn't connected to Avatar
    2. This is an Avatar creature that just wasn't in the first movie
    3. Disney designed the exterior of the prototype to not look like something from Avatar to throw us off
    4. The entire article is bogus and the photo isn't connected to Disney at all

I'm kinda leaning towards number 1 or number 4 but we'll see...
    This vehicle was being developed before Avatar was in production. It was intended as a simple flying dragon. As it is a parakite, it will only be effective at night when the canopy would be hidden.

IF they ever develop an Avatar land, they could modify the body to match a Pandora banshee(?). But it would still be a night time effect. And as the Pandora banshees don't breathe fire, that effect would probably be abandoned.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

WOW!!!! Looks pretty damn cool, I wonder what show it's for exactly???
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Not here to help

That dragon better have a silent engine. It looks like a bad idea to me if it is something to be used in the parks.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Sock Puppet

OMG, DLR needs this!! #Fantasmic

• Metro-Retro Historian

Beastly Kingdom!

someone had to say it.

It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Iron-Clad Allie

In t's desire to pit Avatarland up against Wizarding World, Disney is fighting fire with fire. Suddenly I'm hungry for some hot wings.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

it cant be for avatar because Disney filed the patent in march 2010, this patent was filed even before Disney decided to team up with James Cameron Name:  flying dragon.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  26.1 KB

• Future Cast Member

This is so fascinating! I wish there were pictures of the pterodactyl one, too, I have an obsession with dinosaurs.

Maybe its Puff !!??

• Metro-Retro Historian

The article says the thing breathes fire, which makes it much more dragon than dinosaur. Clearly since this thing is a modified parakite, it looks a lot more like something for a show than an attraction. When I saw it the first thing I thought of was something along the likes of Surprise in the Skies.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    That dragon better have a silent engine. It looks like a bad idea to me if it is something to be used in the parks.
    It's not the first time Disney World has used parakite based characters. Surprise in the Skies was a really neat daytime lagoon show at Epcot. It used motorboats in the lagoon pulling kites, colored smoke and crackling fireworks, along with giant inflatable characters on the shores of the lagoon. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and DD would flyover head in parakites that took off from an old heliport where the Art of Animation resort is now located.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Disney Freak

I've never seen Avatar, but I'm pretty sure there weren't any dragons... I could be wrong...
    Welp, Beastly Kingdom, anyone?
    Okay, that's a little far-fetched, but if this thing is for real, I don't think it's made for Avatar. Who knows, it might even just be there so that the signage makes sense!

They've got all the other animals!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast