Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Super Hero

Disney is Testing A Flying Dragon

Disney is testing a flying dragon.

From the article

Flying a mechanical dragon hundreds of feet in the air above Shafter's Minter Field is no way to keep the thing a secret.

That was apparently Disney's intention, however, when it swore airport officials to secrecy by having them sign a nondisclosure agreement as part of its rental of a hangar, a golf cart and rights to test the modified ultralight before shipping it off to Florida later this summer.

Restaurant manager Tammy Zaninovich snapped photos and posted them on Facebook. So much for the surprise.

"It breathes fire and the mouth opens and closes," she said. "It's pretty cool."

The independent Disney fan website Neverland Gazette says the dragon is part of a show Disney World is putting together based on the movie "Avatar."
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-22-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Clarified quote from article, clipped for copyright issues

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney is Testing A Flying Dragon

Wow, that's pretty cool. Should be cool to see how they use it.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• The Pumpkin King

Looks cool, wonder what show that would be.

• Minion

Shouldn't this be in the WDW forum instead. Anyways, that dragon looks cool.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

Cool! It's almost like witnessing a secret Air Force test in the desert, but this time Disney! Thanks for sharin!
    Because Bert Said So!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Looks like someone is getting fired.

• Certified in everything

This is pretty neat... what is even cooler about it is that a patent design looking like this was filed a short while back, and I think someone posted it here on the WDW forums. I just remember seeing it and thinking to myself "Yeah right". I guess its not an attraction like I thought, but it sure does look cool.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Is it april fools day? Sounds too cool to be true. Flying dragons in a show? What?? Yes please!

• Minion

The beginning of the end. World domination brought to you by a mouse. Be afraid.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    "It breathes fire and the mouth opens and closes," she said. "It's pretty cool."
    What'll be cool is watching the fun when the Senior VPs at Disney Legal find out that someone in the Company is planning to use a radio-controlled flying flamethrower in a Disney theme park show.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Avatar doesn't have fire spitting dragons that can fly, they have flying animals that look somewhat different. I saw Avatar once, I don't remember if they flying creatures spit fire, but I kinda think they didn't.

Anybody know of a theme park land based on a movie where the characters do ride around on fire breathing dragons? Hope the dragon doesn't harry anybody on the ground . . .

Seriously, doesn't look like Avatar unless they make some major modifications . . . maybe it has something to do with the Maleficent movie

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Disney is testing a flying dragon.

From the article

Flying a mechanical dragon hundreds of feet in the air above Shafter's Minter Field is no way to keep the thing a secret.

That was apparently Disney's intention, however, when it swore airport officials to secrecy by having them sign a nondisclosure agreement as part of its rental of a hangar, a golf cart and rights to test the modified ultralight before shipping it off to Florida later this summer.

Restaurant manager Tammy Zaninovich snapped photos and posted them on Facebook. So much for the surprise.

The independent Disney fan website Neverland Gazette says the dragon is part of a show Disney World is putting together based on the movie "Avatar."

The site links to a March 2010 patent application for a "flying entertainment vehicle" complete with technical drawings and explanations of how the dragon's tail wags and the wings fill up with air without upsetting the aircraft's aerodynamics.

Witnesses say the dragon has orange wings that span about 15 feet. They say Disney people come about once a month to test its flight performance and the distances required to take off and land.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 06-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ... a radio-controlled flying flamethrower...
    Uh... something just jumped to the top of my Christmas list.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Hope the dragon doesn't harry anybody on the ground . . .
    What you really want to hope is that you're not on the ground within flight range of this thing when some jerk transmits on the radio controller's frequency.

I saw Avatar once, I don't remember if they flying creatures spit fire, but I kinda think they didn't.
    Correct. Which is one of several reasons why I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the story is a fake.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Avatar doesn't have fire spitting dragons that can fly, they have flying animals that look somewhat different. I saw Avatar once, I don't remember if they flying creatures spit fire, but I kinda think they didn't.

Anybody know of a theme park land based on a movie where the characters do ride around on fire breathing dragons? Hope the dragon doesn't harry anybody on the ground . . .
    Yeah... I think it actually looks a lot more like one of the dragons from "How to Train Your Dragon".

So very awesome. So a fleet of these, the 12th largest submarine fleet in the world ... hm.

Though there's some key design differences between this guy and the avatar dragons. Wonder if that'll be fixed or not? Though if I had my wish, Avatar would be off the table and we'd go back to beastly kingdom. Dreaming.

Whatever happens, I would love to see the show this guy stars in. A real, (almost) live dragon!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast