•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Carousel of Progress

Okay, I keep seeing posts on this thing closing but I haven't seen anything official as of yet. It's never closed when I go and it seems to be in working condition as far as I can tell.

Can anyone confirm that they are going to close it down or is this just some silly rumor that has been surfacing.

This has always been a must see everytime I go to WDW and it will sadden me to lose it.

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Carousel of Progress

Nope, any talk of CoP closing are just rumors. In fact, CoP just recently (this past month) got a nice refurb. In the last scene, many of the skins were replaced. Dad got a facelift as well as a new sweater, the dog got a new coat (of fur) & the white tree lights got replaced by blue lights (which are more than likely LED lights). Look for pictures at WDWmagic's forums. If anyone here has pictures, post them.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Carousel Theater Host

Great to hear that they are keeping the CoP maintained! I was hearing rumors about it going into disrepair. This is definitely an encouragement!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I doubt it will ever be retired, as it's one of the last things Walt had a personal connection with. It's part of the Disney legacy.

• Screenwriter for NLF

It's always sad when we lose the rides we love. Mr. Toad's for an example, bit that's the other topic. Point is IF COP ever closes it truly will be the destruction of the bridge that connects the original magic to the magic of today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.newlineagefilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    I doubt it will ever be retired, as it's one of the last things Walt had a personal connection with. It's part of the Disney legacy.
    And you think this will keep it going? (INSERT SARCASTIC SMILIE)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I still liked America Sings better.

:: runs like hell ::

• Banned User

i love COP but it needs a major overhaul and redesign. not just the last scene either. I know it's the only attraction that walt had his personal hands on in WDW, but in it's current condition, it doesn't belong in tommorrowland. there is nothing about the future in it anymore. but then in my opinion, tommorrowland needs a total overhaul.

• Screenwriter for NLF

Maybe that is one of the scenes they could update. Maybe they could make the last scene way in the future. Wouldn't it be cool to have a scene from a departed ride with the family living on the moon, or underwater etc?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Movie news, reviews, and short films at: http://www.newlineagefilms.com

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie Pueblo
    Maybe that is one of the scenes they could update. Maybe they could make the last scene way in the future. Wouldn't it be cool to have a scene from a departed ride with the family living on the moon, or underwater etc?
    But each time WDI wants to update it the numbers of guests that return to visit the attraction are strong enough that it doesn't require an upgrade. While they do have ideas and are constantly coming up with and want to update it... it doesn't quite need it yet. Although the numbers are low in the off times but during the summer and holiday rush times the numbers are great. Which keeps it going and CoP continues as a Disney classic. Maybe guests keep returning thinking it will be their last visit, especially since Timekeeper has left the area that keeps the numbers high? But who knows. That's just the current status. I'm glad to here there have been small updates to the attraction. I love it! We're one step closer to an even bigger advancement in Progress.

Is COP currently open? I read that it is seasonal and I'm heading to the MK in early February. I'm hoping I get to see it. It's one of my favorites.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Toadaholic
    Is COP currently open? I read that it is seasonal and I'm heading to the MK in early February. I'm hoping I get to see it. It's one of my favorites.
    You know I read that its seasonal to but I went every couple months last year and it was always open and I can really only go when its slower anyway so you would that is when it WOULD be closed.

I think you will be fine. Check www.allearsnet.com for scheduled closures and down rides for the park, that should help!

• Disney Memory Maker

CoP was open full year when AE shut down to a little after Stitch came back up. I don't know if it's running in seasonal now (although the current "seasonal" is much better than the old "seasonal").
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    CoP was open full year when AE shut down to a little after Stitch came back up. I don't know if it's running in seasonal now (although the current "seasonal" is much better than the old "seasonal").
    It was open every day I went to the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland these past few months (and some of those were slow days). If that helps any.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Nope, any talk of CoP closing are just rumors. In fact, CoP just recently (this past month) got a nice refurb.
    I wish I could remember where I saw this, but there was discussion online about the fact that the Operations folks (those in charge of the refurbing of CofP) were unaware that other divisions within the Disney hierarchy had already decided to pull the plug sometime in the near future. Yes, it's all rumor. But with the often scattered way Disney is managing its assets these days, a refurb doesn't seem like that much of a guarantee.