• Former Epcot CM

The last 12 months at the WDWR

Following Mr. Lore's example over in the Disneyland Resort forum, here is my view of the last twelve months at the Walt Disney World Resort; the good, the bad, and the ones which you can decide on yourself for.

Soarin' - the best thing to come out of California since Splash Mountain.
    HalloWishes and Holiday Wishes - and I thought Wishes couldn't be improved. Be dazzled by the first fireworks at the Magic Kingdom which surround you.
    "it's a small world" refurb - you really cannot explain the changes to this attraction on a scale that is deserving. You have to experience it for yourself.
    The Return of Tomorrowland - well, the planets are orbiting again:P. Not part of 2005, but Space Mountain should soon be going Disneyland-style...
    New and Improved Streets of America - again, I see them in a new light.

Cinderella Castle's decorations - yes, some see them as nice, but the mirror is humongous and frankly, I preferred the concept art. Who is fifty years old anyway?
    Lucky the Dinosaur - this is the HCOE's contribution to DAK? No, Expedition: Everest is, but that opens in 2006. Amazing technology, but yawn yawn.
    Hundred Acre Playground - is this really a sufficient replacement for the Submarine Voyage?

Lights, Motors, Action! - of course WDW must have the best attraction from the worst Disney park in the world!
    Cinderellabration - a beautiful show, but not for those who have seen Tokyo Disneyland's version. Could it have been better?
    Disney's Magical Express - convenient, but worth it?
    Happiest Celebration on Earth - yes, without it we wouldn't have Soarin' etc., but with it, we have Cinderella Castle's bling bling and a marketing storm like nothing ever before (yes even the Millenium Celebration is humbled)
    Living Seas rehab - well, updated - but is it for the best?
    Siemens sponsership - maybe we need a sponser who is more willing to update Spaceship Earth.
    Rising attendance - yes of course you would automatically think great, more people are coming and enjoying the parks, that means more money to spend on the parks, but, I liked a quiet stroll around the Studios once upon a time...

Lets all wish the Walt Disney World Resort an even better 2006, which hopefully will bring new attractions, less litter, and a new Space Mountain!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: The last 12 months at the WDWR

Excellent observations, but I think the Living Seas rehab will really be abled to be evaluated better once the work is complete, and the seacabs are (hopefully) reinstalled. And if that comes true, then I think any return of the Seacabs, with the rumored longer track, would have to be a plus in my book.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Vehicle rotating backward

You've mostly got it right, as for your orange column:

LMA: Positive. It was something I was interested in seeing when I first read about it in DSP. It's probably the ONLY part of DSP that sounded interesting. Considering that what was lost in exchange was recreated houses from 80s sitcoms like Empty Nest and the Golden Girls, who almost nobody under age 30 can remember, it's not that bad a deal.

Cinderellabration: Negative. They appearantly don't do the show justice, although the princess crap has never appealed to me at all, obviously.

DME: Positive. In my time in Northern California, I had to pay nearly $60 every trip I made to take a shuttle between San Francisco International to and area near, but not at my house, and then something near that in my destination city. I can't speak for how well the baggage is handled, but if your trip is about the Mouse and nothing but the Mouse, then no need to buy a shuttle or rental car.

HCOE - ? I don't know what the big deal of this is. Marketing the 50th everywhere in the parks division isn't too outlandish from a consumer standpoint (without DL the other parks wouldn't be there) or from a marketing standpoint (WDW attendance hasn't moved lately and they're hoping for a jolt.) Nobody said that an anniversary event had to be limited only to the park having the anniversary, and WDW advertises in the west coast all the time.

Living Seas - ? Can't tell for now, but leaning negative just because the original SeaBase Alpha theme was one of the last unique Disney experiences that was not a tie-in with a movie or TV show.

Siemens - Positive. Spaceship Earth is timeless to a degree. Obviously the script and sequences have changed a bit, but to rip out the slow ride inside for a roller coaster? That makes me slightly ill.

Attendance - ? I didn't know it was going up. I had read that they were worried that it was mostly staying the same while Disneyland has gangbusters business.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Attendance went up pretty significantly this year...Disneyland saw the greatest increase, but the Magic Kingdom was not far behind (and it is still the most-visited park in the world for 2005). Attendance increases are good--they cause more expansion, which we are seeing. And while attendance went up a maximum of 6.5% this year, park hours for 2006 are much more than 6.5% longer than in past years, especially if we include Extra Magic Hours. A few years ago, the Magic Kingdom was open 9 am to 9 pm during the summer (10 pm on select days--SpectroMagic was not played nightly). This summer, it is open 9 am to 11 pm nightly, with it opening at 8 am twice a week and closing at 2 am twice a week for resort guests. That is about 20 hours of extra park time per week. Animal Kingdom was open 9 to 5 (sometimes 6) a couple years ago and this summer will be open 9 to 8 plus EMH--about 30 extra hours per week with EMH. These hours increases more than make up for the increased attendance and waits. Overall value has increased exponentially in 2005. I think most of the other additions are positive. Pooh's Playful Spot may not appeal to me, but it was greatly needed for Fantasyland and it only takes up a small section of the former 20K lagoon--still room for a major E-Ticket. The castle isn't fantastic, but it's no castle cake, and it will be gone within a year. All of the attractions I view as positive. Lucky's May-July visit was kinda a joke, and you could tell it was thrown in last minute so every park would have SOMETHING in May of this year. 2006 will likely not be as big as 2005 was (even with Everest), but maybe we can hope for a little more refurbishment like Disneyland saw prior to the 50th celebration. Still, we have quite a few things to look forward to--Everest, the new Finding Nemo show, the new Living Seas, work possibly starting on a Wonders of Life replacement, I would imagine a new parade or two--it's been five years, which is really the maximum lifespan for parades; the new Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm excited--the early 2000s slowdown seems to have ended.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Siemens - Positive. Spaceship Earth is timeless to a degree. Obviously the script and sequences have changed a bit, but to rip out the slow ride inside for a roller coaster? That makes me slightly ill.
    I never actually said that. Siemens have refused to update the ride's script etc... I would hate a rollercoaster as well.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    LMA: Positive. It was something I was interested in seeing when I first read about it in DSP. It's probably the ONLY part of DSP that sounded interesting. Considering that what was lost in exchange was recreated houses from 80s sitcoms like Empty Nest and the Golden Girls, who almost nobody under age 30 can remember, it's not that bad a deal.
    Agreed! LMA has continued to pull in guests, especially to that end of the park allowing other surrounding attractions to receive an increase in attendence. It pulls guests away from Sunset for the Tower/Coaster thrills to thrills that guests of all ages and heights can experience. The only things I would fault in this show is the way the stadium is designed (how guests are loaded, they have to walk up to seats instead of down... and it's hard to get people to move at a quick pace.) and the concept of the show. Once you see it you know "what happens" and the "tricks" so guests might not jump to see this again. But if most guests visit every 3-5 years, it's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Disney's Magical Express - convenient, but worth it?
    I guess I don't see how, for the guests, this is not a positive. If you were spending money on a shuttle, you save it (and don't have to hassle with your luggage), if you did a town car service before, you can still do that - same with rental car.

The added bonus, that isn't technically part of DME, is the ability to check in and check your luggage at the resort, instead of going to the airport (if you're on one of the 'right' airlines).

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Agreed! LMA has continued to pull in guests, especially to that end of the park allowing other surrounding attractions to receive an increase in attendence. It pulls guests away from Sunset for the Tower/Coaster thrills to thrills that guests of all ages and heights can experience. The only things I would fault in this show is the way the stadium is designed (how guests are loaded, they have to walk up to seats instead of down... and it's hard to get people to move at a quick pace.) and the concept of the show. Once you see it you know "what happens" and the "tricks" so guests might not jump to see this again. But if most guests visit every 3-5 years, it's perfect!
    Well...that's no different than Indy. I think by this point, everyone who comes to the parks knows the guy in the bright shirt isn't a real guest...at least LMAX has better special effects.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The one, the only...

I think that Lucky the Dinosaur could be a great attraction, but is not really being exploited right now.

How does he improve:

First, he needs to have a show and not just "appear," (especially in the worst themed area of AK. I know that is my opinion, but Dinoland stinks to me!)

Second, he needs to talk. I have not personally seen him, but no one has reported that he speaks. I think you could put him on stage with a group of children from the audience and have him interact. Adults would have fun watching the reaction of the kids to the animatronic. It would be great!

Third, get him to dance. This is the first free moving animatronic. I want to see him dance. That would put the WOW factor in.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Lucky is in an unattractive area but it ought to be that it makes people want to go to that area.

I agree that adding a sound rig like Push the talking trashcan at DL would be neat, but Push doesn't have lips. I'm not sure if they can hook up a voicebox in there AND have it work with some kind of mouth moving animation.