Is Mickey's Christmas Party Worth the Extra Momey?

I just booked my vacation for Nov 6th-11th and saw that the Magic Kingdom closed early for the Christmas Party online. I was wondering if it was worth the extra money. I have never been able to go to WDW for Christmas/Holiday season before. Also I was wondering if the Osborne Lights would be up that week as well at Hollywood Studios. I didnt know if it would be too soon for them because Thanksgiving hasnt even occured yet it doesnt seem to be stopping the Mickey party. I am taking my mom because she went to Disney in 71 for Christmas and she talks about it every trip we take. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I just realized I typed to fast and spelt money wrong in the title.

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Is Mickey's Christmas Party Worth the Extra Momey?

Some have referred to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party as "the $50 cookie" and I generally agree with them. What's meant by this is that there isn't anything in the Christmas party that's exclusive to the Christmas party if you're there close enough to Christmas. For instance, if you visit WDW the week before Christmas, during normal operating hours, with just your regular admission, you would be able to see all the shows that are supposedly "exclusive" to the Christmas party. However, obviously it's not possible for everyone to visit that close to Christmas, and also by visiting early in November, you'll avoid the crowds that will be there that close to Christmas. So, if you're interested in seeing the Christmas shows/parades that the MK has to offer, and won't be able to visit closer to Christmas when those same shows/parades would be included in your regular park admission, then yes, the Christmas party is probably worth it.

Also, I believe the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights normally starts performing as soon as the resort switches into Christmas mode, which is usually Nov. 1-2. So you should be able to catch that during your trip.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

If you have never done it before then go and do it. It will be a lot of fun. For those of us who go year after year we tire of the same offerings and want something new. But if this is your first time go and experience some holiday magic.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Actually, in our little family, we like the Osborne Lights more than the Christmas Party, but that's just how we roll! Still, it will make for a magical night, if you've never gone before. I suggest going and then telling us what you think! At the very least, its a smaller number of individuals in the MK with many of the popular rides still open, so you can go on those as well, with very little wait.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

I agree with KingEric and RooBear, if you haven't been, then go. I was a bit hesitant when we went last mid-Nov., but it turned out to be our 9 and 7 yo boys highlight of the trip (as well as their grandma and grandpa and great aunt- everyone just had fun). Just a little extra magic and something different, plus shorter lines.

Have fun!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I also agree, if you have never went, than go. We went twice and it was nice. I probably would not go again, unless there is something spectacular to see that is different.

I do like the Osborne Lights better than the Christmas party.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Thanks everyone for all the info. I wish I could be there more towards Christmas but when you work in retail or a hospital as my mother does its hard to get off during the Thanksgiving/Christmas time. Its def added to our list of things not to miss then.

Oh and I forgot. How crowded is the parks during the early November time? I read that some of you said that the lines wouldn't be as long during the Christmas party but is it like this the whole time or is it crowded like summer time is?

November is usually pretty light crowd-wise, as long as it's not around Thanksgiving, which you won't be. The Christmas party has a limited number of tickets sold, so the rides will have little to no wait whatsoever. But I wouldn't worry about it, as the parties in early November don't sell out like they do closer to Christmas itself. If you like characters, the party is THE place to go. I have a picture with Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, and the stepsisters all together. That happens very rarely. The parade runs twice during the party, and the second time is less crowded. There are big and small performances all through the parks. I love the special pirate band that plays tropical Christmas songs in Adventureland. It is a wonderful experience, I recommend it!
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Former ODV/SE CM

Not sure how it will impact crowds but Disney is hosting the Wine and Dine Half Marathon on Saturday, Nov 10. I, with a group of 10, will be traveling into town for this event.
    I actually heard this said by a CM over the loud speakers at Big Thunder in 1995, "Please do not sit on the rocks. You will fall...and you will die."

Thanks again for all of the info.

@Churros9 That's cool. Are you there to watch people or are you actually in the marathon?

• Former ODV/SE CM

I'm running the half marathon. Already did the Tinkerbell Half in January and will be doing the Disneyland Half in September. Can't wait to get the Coast to Coast medal after Wine and Dine.
    I actually heard this said by a CM over the loud speakers at Big Thunder in 1995, "Please do not sit on the rocks. You will fall...and you will die."

• Mice Chat Columnist

We went to WDW the week after Thanksgiving last year, and it was fantastic. It was our first time going during the Holiday season, so we had to check out the Christmas Party.

I was hesitant at first, especially because of the price, but my girlfriend and her son really wanted to go, so I splurged on it, and im glad I did.

Granted, we went during a very non-crowded week, so it was a fairly empty park for most of the Xmas Party, which may be why we enjoyed it so much. We walked on every single ride, enjoyed the Holiday Wishes and hot chocolate (it was chilly!) and made the most of our time there. There were times when we saw no one else for a looooong time because it was so empty!

Like everyone else said, if you havent experienced it before, definitely go. You'll be glad you did!

• Banned User

It isn't as good as the Halloween Party, and as one has said it is a $50 dollar cookie is pretty close to true... however when we are at WDW during a hard ticket event we always go at least once sometimes twice... not because the parties are that great but because the lines for rides are much shorter and often non-existent. Frankly I would pay extra and they could skip all the supposed add-on benefits/parades and just call it "short line Tuesdays" or whatever.

I do think that you are able to get some meet and greet photos with characters in costumes that are not otherwise available... that is probably things you can get at the party that you can't otherwise get... so whether you see that as a benefit is really up to you and whether you do the meet and greet stuff or avoid it like the plague.

If you dont already have tickets purchased, then the party is a good deal. Instead of buying a ticket for that day, you can buy the party ticket, and they let you in at 4pm. We went last yer and it was a good time. The park is always less crowded, the lines are shorter for the rides, and the families start to leave after the early parade. If you already have a ticket package purchased than it may not be worth paying for what would be two tickets for that day.