• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Has the Fastpass system been pushed too far?

Sunday night at 1945 hours the Magic Kingdom wasn't busy(heck the crowds weren't bad all day!) It was about 30 minutes after the rain and people were starting to leave as well as line up for the Electrical Parade. My group and I headed to Space Mountain, the standby line stated 120 minutes, but it wasn't up the stairs or anything so we headed down the queue and we finally caught up with the line ąt the first interactive queue game. Some people were leaving the line, but we were like ok we're here let's wait. Fastpass continued to move very well but we stood in the same spot for 15 minutes only moving forward when someone left the line.finally when we got up to the control tower 35 minutes had passed, but we saw why the standby line wasn't moving, fastpass was not only using the EMPTY Omega side, but also the Alpha side. It took 2.5 hours to get on Space that evening, and I've NEVER seen people that flat out ANGRY over waiting in line for a ride. They brought a supervisor out to help, I guess (I don't know she was there and gone in under 3 minutes) I didn't even get to catch her name before she left again. It seemed as if the CM directing traffic at the time(by that time it was 2100 and all of the CMs had their breaks and come back) didn't even try to alleviate some of the pressure on the standby line by letting a few groups of people into the STILL empty Omega side, by the time we got on the ride it was 2115 and we had missed eating at the harbour house like we intended to after we had rode Space.

All day the lines were long but never like this and it was by far the worst management of people that I've personally experienced at Disney. I complained to Guest Relations and the CMs were very understanding and kind, so now I'm awaiting to see what kind of response I get from TDO...

Sorry I had to put my experience on why Fastpass needs to go up here for all you guys to see...Has anyone got an explanation on why Space Mountain's wait was THAT bad or why no Standbys were let into the other side?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Musical Fireman

Re: Has the Fastpass system been pushed too far?

I would imagine. I mean how many attractions have FP when they don't need it mainly the omnimover attractions (Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion) or even huge capacity attractions like pirates ingeniously using a dual loading system. So yea I think Disney is over doing the FP system by using it on attactions already designed for max capacity and minimum wait time.

See ya walkin right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    I would imagine. I mean how many attractions have FP when they don't need it mainly the omnimover attractions (Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion) or even huge capacity attractions like pirates ingeniously using a dual loading system. So yea I think Disney is over doing the FP system by using it on attactions already designed for max capacity and minimum wait time.

See ya walkin right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA
    It will only get worse with NextGen/Xpass, as they consider adding a second line to attractions like Spaceship Earth and Journey into Imagination. DisCo has already admitted the standby wait times will get even longer in the future, thus the addition of NextGen queues to keep the standby guests busy while they wait... and wait... and wait.

That being said, I have to admit the only time I dislike Fastpass is when I'm not using it. But I don't think its availability should be determined by how much money you spend.

• Minion

I don't think this certain case is an issue with fastpass as much as it is that CM/group of CMs. If one line is empty, they should definitely be feeding some standby-riders into that line. In fact, I think some people from that line should be entering the fastpass line anyway...

• Disneyland Original '55

I went to Disney World a year ago and i noticed a similar pattern the Alpha side of Space was for stand by and the empty Omega side was used for fast-pass. Wasn't the point of the two sides was to get the line moving and Fast pass is only supposed to skip part of the line not take up the entire side. I also recall that because of the Fast-pass at Toy Story Mania the Stand-by Line is twice as long. The TSM in DCA got rid of their Fast-passes and the line is a regular 30-45 min as apposed to the 60-75 minute wait that regularly comes with DHS. Some rides are not capable for a fast-pass system, but on the most part these are the only two rides and the only two specific versions of these rides i see regular problems. I like the way the Disney has approached fast-pass and the Dumbo Fast-pass is something i rather enjoy, though it will not work with every ride. Next Gen could pose problems but im hoping for a more efficient system.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

Disneyland's Toy Story Mania never had a fastpass

• Disney Trivia Queen

I love the fast pass system! If you know how to use it right, it can save you tons of time in the park which is just what Disney wants, because they hope that extra time is spent eating and shopping and spending more money. I have noticed that many of the people who complain about the system either don't use it, refuse to use it, or don't use it well and then complain about waiting in regular lines. Plan your day early and if you want to ride a ride without waiting in the regular line, get a fastpass for it. Also, just because the line looked shorter than a 120 minute wait, doesn't mean it is. They have those signs for a reason.

• WDW will always be home.

In the OP's example, I honestly think that sounds more like a problem with line management by those CMs than a problem with the FP system in general. I am not a fan of FastPass, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to show that that particular experience is typical of the FastPass system.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    It will only get worse with NextGen/Xpass, as they consider adding a second line to attractions like Spaceship Earth and Journey into Imagination.
    I was under the impression that XPass would actually alleviate some of these problems because there will be far fewer XPass reservations than the current number of FastPasses distributed. Am I mistaken on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    DisCo has already admitted the standby wait times will get even longer in the future, thus the addition of NextGen queues to keep the standby guests busy while they wait... and wait... and wait.
    When did Disney say this? Even if it's true, I'd be shocked if the company admitted it. And if so, was it in the context of "XPass will cause this" or does Disney just anticipate longer lines due to greater crowding/demand in the parks?

In either case, the simple solution for TWDC is what it's always been, even before they came up with FastPass: add more attractions and increase capacity!! It's pretty sad that in 2012, the capacity (not to mention overall quality) of MK and Epcot are less than what they were in 1994, yet we're now paying grossly more to enter the parks; even when adjusted for inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglehopper View Post
    I love the fast pass system! If you know how to use it right, it can save you tons of time in the park which is just what Disney wants, because they hope that extra time is spent eating and shopping and spending more money. I have noticed that many of the people who complain about the system either don't use it, refuse to use it, or don't use it well and then complain about waiting in regular lines. Plan your day early and if you want to ride a ride without waiting in the regular line, get a fastpass for it. Also, just because the line looked shorter than a 120 minute wait, doesn't mean it is. They have those signs for a reason.
    I think you're missing the point. Of course FP works great if you know how to use it. But the reason it's eventually being phased out in favor of the Xpass system is that too many people don't know how to use it and/or think you have to pay for it. Whether or not it's good for informed individuals, it's bad for the majority of guests as it causes them to wait longer in standby. That means that for most of the people visiting a Disney park on any given day, Fastpass degrades rather than improves their experience. That's not good. Not to mention all the people (like myself) who do know how to use FastPass and use it regularly but would prefer for all lines to be shorter and for a day at a Disney park to be more relaxing and spontaneous rather than filled with reservations and appointments.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 07-11-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Disney Trivia Queen

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post

but would prefer for all lines to be shorter and for a day at a Disney park to be more relaxing and spontaneous rather than filled with reservations and appointments.
    I don't understand... Disney can be relaxing and spontaneous? Haha :-) I agree there but I also kind of enjoy the running from one end of the park to another when it's time to get another fastpass!

I agree that maybe I missed the point, however, I still see the OP complaining about a wait time that wasn't that different then the wait time posted, just because the line looked shorter.

Also, I wanted to ask if the ride was broken down at all before this, because they will honor fastpasses from that time period and they will try to just shovel them through and then take from the regular line. Which isn't necessarily the right way to do it, but that could have been the problem.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Something doesn't add up. If omega was empty why would they put more in alpha just so they could wait? Maybe there was something operationally going on that the op was not privy to.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I'm going to agree with Flynn on this. I'm thinking there was something technical going on. With the current enforcement of return times, believe it or not, stand-by times have decreased somewhat, to the point where I've noticed nothing longer than a 70 wait. With the next gen, which will be apportioned part of the FP population, that might even go down some as the computers will install those individuals into specific time slots that aren't as busy.

If something had broken down, they'd need to get all of those FP people out of the way. I'm thinking something 101 happened.

ORD, you should have let us know you were down here! We have meets on Sunday over in EPCOT, if you were interested!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Metro-Retro Historian

I had a similar but not nearly as extreme situation to this on Toy Story Mania during my last trip. I stayed still in the standby line right where you pick up your 3D glasses for about 15 minutes while fastpass people cruised by. The ride was pretty new at the time so I expected the line to be long so I didn't mind too much.

If fastpass is seen as a burden to more guests than those that see it as a boon it should be stopped. From the standpoint of a standby guest there is no difference between people using fastpass and people cutting in line. The only difference is that one is encouraged by the parks while the other gets you kicked out of them. Either way, the person in the standby line just sees sees people passing him and gets frustrated.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I honestly wish they had more single rider lines. They move so fast!

• N/A

There was probably an extended downtime earlier in the day or a reduced capacity situation. When these happen before all the Fastpasses have been distributed adjustments can be made, however when they happen after or near the end of Fastpasses distribution the result can be exactly what the OP experienced. What was experienced was not necessarily the fault of the Cast merging Fastpass and standby Guests. This exact situation is what makes the Merge location one of the most disliked Cast locations at any attraction, it can become extremely hostile for that poor Cast Member.

As a side note, dumping more Guests beyond the merge point does not increase the capacity of the attraction, all it does is make wait for Fastpass Guests longer.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglehopper:1056803990
    I actually know how to use the fastpass system, however when I arrived back at the park this particular evening all of the fastpasses were used up...and to be fair the people behind me had the update card and they updated the wait time to 160 minutes...

my biggest beef with the whole situation the entire time was the fact that the bleedover.didn't happen, whether that was because of the training or what I'm unsure, and the ride wait was nonexistant for fastpass so, at times there was only one or two groups in the omega line, and I'm pretty sure that is what was upsetting the other people in line as well...it was a speedbump in an otherwise good day.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus:1056804098
    Something doesn't add up. If omega was empty why would they put more in alpha just so they could wait? Maybe there was something operationally going on that the op was not privy to.
    To my knowledge there was no operational reasoning behind just having the omega side open just for fastpass...if there is something like that stated in a reply back from Disney for that then I'll post it up here, buy I'm already predicting a standard response to a complaint letter...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton