Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: I Wanna Go Back To Disney World - Or Should I?

Right now, I am doing a daily watch on airfares for both my Disneyland trip in January, and my WDW trip in April. The fare to California dropped a little bit, but the fare to Orlando is stuck at the same amount. I hope to see the Orlando fare drop below 200 dollars, and then I will book a flight. My friend wants to fly Southwest, but I don't like having to go to the smaller Midway airport in Chicago, versus the large Ohare Airport.

My Disney World guidebooks came in the mail the other day. I bought Birnbaum's 2013 guide. I also bought the Unofficial guide to Walt Disney World, as well as the Unofficial Guide Beyond Disney, which includes information about Universal Orlando and Sea World. I haven't had a chance to read these, but I am sure I will have them pretty worn, before my April trip.

• Jedi Knight

I am traveling to DW in June, I have been waiting for any Summer deals but know I won't see anything 'till End of Winter/Spring >:/ I am too excited, but trying to convince the boyfriend to go to Universal but he thinks we won't have time... we are staying for 7 days

I want to go back in the Fall of 2014 for about a week in Orlando (to see New Fantasyland, New Test Track, and Universal's renovations).

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been waiting for over three years. By the time I get back it will be almost four. That's almost as long as the time before my first visit in 1997, and my 2nd visit in 2003.

I remember how much I planned that first trip. I actually had a schedule thought out in my head. This time, I am not going to do that at all. I am just going to take things as they come. I was 50 years old on my first trip, and now I am 65. I guess I have slowed down, and become less concerned about trying to do it all. I guess it helps that I have been there before, and I know many of the do's and don'ts.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is all that you will really miss at Walt Disney World. Have you done The Little Mermaid at Disney's California Adventure? If so, the Magic Kingdom will only feature a different exterior and queue.

How big of a Harry Potter fan are you? Unless you wait a few more years you will miss Diagon Alley which is being built at Universal Studios Florida. It will connect with Hogsmeade over at Islands of Adventure by the Hogwart's Express, which will be an inter-park attraction. Universal is also moving swiftly to build a new ride which is widely rumored to be Transformers and to open by late 2013.

So unless you can put off until 2014 / 2015, I can think of no other reasons to delay a visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I loved the Harry Potter Movies. There's a thread right here on MiceChat that contains wonderful photos of Hogsmeade. I'd love to experience the essence of the place that was portrayed in the movies, and it does appear that that is possible with a visit to Universal.

I just feel so out of touch with Walt Disney World. I need to spend more time in this forum and start educating myself as to what has been going on since my absence.

Since I am most likely not staying on property, I will plan my trip much differently than I have in the past. I do need to study up on what I absolutely want to do, so I don't come hope feeling that I missed something.
    Very interesting Lazyboy. I will definitely be looking to see how this turns out.

But Barbara, please take this from another HUGE Potter fan. I saw the Wizarding World of Harry Potter last year and I was a bit disappointed quite honestly. The Hogwarts ride is not for the faint at heart (did I say that right?). Though you're entirely in the dark, the ride feels almost like one of those flying roller coasters at times. But the queue was very cool. That was the only ride in the area I went on. The rest was simply too crowded. Though it was less than a year from when it opened, it was also due to how they built the place. Naturally, Ollivander's was too crowded (with an hour or two wait) because of its popularity. But souvenir wands can be purchased, one nearby the Hippogriff ride. So we didn't wait to do Ollivanders. And the stores were really small. One of them which I believe was Dervish and Banges could only allow a certain amount of people in at a time, and it was really cramped. Money & time was really short, so we didn't try the foods, and we didn't stay very long. It was my first trip to the park ever, & though we went there first, I wanted to have time to see the rest, plus it was also hot.

With those in mind, don't let me discourage you from seeing it for yourself if you can. Though it was crowded, and small and I've only been there once, it still is a sight to behold when you walk into that area for the first time, seeing Hogsmeade and the castle for the first time. I just wish they could've made it a little bigger, with a little more room to move. But that's just me.

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 10:10 PM ----------

So I am now planning both a Disneyland Trip at the end of January, and a WDW trip for next April. My hotel will be covered in both locations, by my Wyndham Timeshare points. I am debating with myself whether or not I should purchase the new Annual Pass that includes both Disneyland and Disney World. It is pretty pricey at the new price of $849 dollars. My Disneyland trip will most likely be for 5 nights, although I'd really love to do 7. The Disney World trip will be for 7 nights for sure. I most likely won't spend all those Disney World days at those parks, because I'd really love to see The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter.

Anyone care to comment, and help make this decision easier. Although, I really don't need to make a final decision until my January trip.
    If you had the money to spend, not only on the pass, but to frequently go between Anaheim & Florida many times within 12 months, then I'd say get the pass. Otherwise, don't spend the money cause it would not be worth it. You'd probably spend less money getting multi day park hopper passes for the times you go to both resorts.

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 10:21 PM ----------

Speaking of, and probably should be asked in another place, what is the best pass to buy for Universal if I am mostly only interested in the Harry Potter attraction. Or should I venture out further? I am not a thrill rider persay?
    Just like with the Disney parks, the admission is separate. So you don't have to go to both parks. BUT, they don't give you separate admission JUST to see the Potter area. Honestly Barbara, you can do Islands of Adventure in one day, most likely in half a day. I know the admission is a lot to ask for for just half a day, but I guess there is no way around it. When we went last year, we were only there for a half a day. And I'm not much of a thrill ride person either, at least in the really extreme sense when it comes to their rides. But I still enjoyed being able to walk around and see the park for the first time, seeing the Jurassic Park area & the Dr Seuss area (which is also in Islands of Adventure), and browsing through the many shops in the park. So just paying for one day instead of a pass is a money saver there. When I walked around the JP area, I felt kind of like I was in the first movie. I also didn't mind not going on the big rides because my wife & I had our then 4 year old, and one of her friends. So they went on the rides while I pushed the stroller.

To re-answer your question, there is no place to buy a ticket just for Potter. You'll only be able to buy a one day admission, which is best since you say you're not into thrill rides, you'll be able to get the park done within a day or less. If you finish it in half a day, you still have City Walk if you don't go into the other park. Try looking into the other park if needed. I can't really visualize anything for you in that park outside of shows and just the experience itself of being there. Because its mostly thrill rides, shows, & shops.

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Barbaraann,

I reckon I'll be headed back to Walt Disney World in exactly 75 days...last time I was there was last March...

Now, I opted for the Annual Pass in both Walt Disney World and Universal (Wizarding World)...and, I've saved a bunch. A big thing folks don't usually factor into all this is parking. Last time I was at Walt Disney World that was $14 a day or $98 for 7 days. At Universal it's $15 a day or $105 for 7 days. At both places parking is FREE with an Annual Pass. Annual Pass = Significant savings.

Now...an Annual Pass...one full year...at Universal Orlando is only $259.00 last time I looked. $259 divided by 7 is $37 dollars a day plus FREE parking plus 10% discount on stuff. Mighty reasonable...and you already know how much I love Hogsmeade myself... Now, if you take two 7 day vacations during the year, 14 days total, your per day admission cost would be just $18.50 a day plus FREE PARKING plus 10% discount on stuff.

I'd be takin' a serious look at that Disneyland/Disney World pass. A year is a long time...two weeklong or more visits in one year to each park and you could be savin' money.

The thing I like about the Annual Pass is freedom to wander wherever and whenever I want, No Parking Fees, and that 10% Discount can add up to significant savings too.

Should you go? Of course you should. They are always gonna be buildin' somethin' new that you wont get to see until "next time"...but, who knows when "next time" might be? Never put off happiness. Life is way too short to be doin' that...

Go. And be happy.

Along 192 just outside the gates of Disney World you can find some incredible deals on nice, clean, comfortable hotel rooms...don't pay too much. The money you save on your motel room can be used for a special meal or two...or shopping for stuff to take home.

You are gonna love the Wizarding World of Harry Potter...butterbeer...pumpkin juice...and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans!

Never...ever...delay happiness!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    I get what you're saying with all of that when it comes to the parking. But on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to an annual pass, it would just be cheaper to buy the admission tickets for the amount of days a person will be there. A person should only buy an annual pass if they live in a relatively commutable distance to the park, and that can vary depending on how much the person is willing, & can afford, to travel or make the commute. As I said to Barbara earlier, if she is able to afford the costs of going to Florida A LOT within those 12 months of having the pass, than its a reasonable investment. If she can only go once, maybe twice, then its not. At least in my opinion its not. Disney offering their prestige pass or whatever it was called was only an offering for those that had the money to shell out to do it, or those that might be spontaneous to do it without thinking first, similar to the expensive wedding package they finally caved on & offered to those wanting to get married in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle. Again, in my opinion. If Barbara really only goes to Universal once, and plans on only going once in 12 months, it would just be more cost effective to do the admission for whatever day or days she goes, and pay for the parking or find another way to get there such as shuttles or what not. I just disagree with you when it comes to passes, they should only be for those that can afford to visit 3 or more times in 12 months. In this economy, not many can.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Could you compare the ride to something that is at Disney. I need a point of reference so that I know if I am brave enough to ride.

I would still love to see all the stuff that is at The World Of Harry Potter that isn't actually a ride.

I have been looking at the Islands of Adventure website, and it looks like there is plenty to keep me busy for on a day's trip there.
    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    There is NOTHING at Disney you can compare Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey to really. It's a totally new/unique ride system (a Kuka arm on a track with the ride vehicle attached - I have photos of the ride with the lights on from 2010 as the first time I ever rode it... it broke down just as it started, so I got to see the whole thing with the lights on). No other park has it. If you want to stretch it though, the closest Disney has is The Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions, which is a Kuka arm simulator.

Forbidden Journey is really something to behold, but that ride really flips you around. You don't go upside down, but there's times you're practically flat on your back. It also take everything you might have know about ride clearances and throws them out the window.
    Yeah, what he/she said. If you know by sight say with commercials, the FJ ride is like I said earlier, similar to a flying roller coaster at times. The only other way I can put it is this. Take elements from a couple different rides, such as Mr Toads Wild Ride or Indiana Jones (basically cause of how things come out at you), Star Tours for the simulated flying portions, (only you're not in an enclosed vehicle with only a seat belt), and the extremeness of California Screamin multiplied 5 times at least. Like Lazyboy said, its not tame. It took me by surprise, because it was not what I expected. And the seat system is designed for an extreme roller coaster:

Name:  800px-Harry_Potter_and_the_Forbidden_Journey_station.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  81.0 KB

So much that you have to be at a certain body weight or proportion to ride it. Basically, if you don't fit in the seat (not saying you will or won't), you can't ride it. But the above image should give you an idea what type of ride it is. They only place that type of restraint on a passenger if the ride is not only going to go upside down, but suspend the person at different angles, similar to a flying roller coaster:

X2 (roller coaster) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or more in line to what Aimster stated, here's the info on Kuka:

KUKA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did the homework for you, so I hope what I provided can answer the question.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

And if it helps, here's some detailed info on the Forbidden Journey ride at IoA.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

After reading about the Harry Potter ride, and watching a few videos on Youtube, I am really doubting that I will be doing it. I am a big chicken when it comes to stuff like that. I can easily see my grandson loving this, and his mother isn't afraid of anything. It's too bad they won't be joining me on this trip. I do hope my friend Annette won't mind riding the ride alone. I'll send her through by herself if she will.

I have been reading about the other attractions at Universal, and there does seem to be quite a bit that I will enjoy.

There is also the Blue Man Group, that performs regularly at Universal Studios Orlando. You'll see signs for them all over. I haven't seen them yet, but everyone who has seen them has raved about them. You should look into it as part of your experience. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I can easily see spending two days there at Universal. First of all, I have never been there before, and 2ndly, I like to take my time. My friend Annette has been there before, and she is really looking forward to seeing the new Harry Potter stuff. However, I like to not be rushed to get everything done in one day. I also love to take pictures, so I am sure that I will do a lot of that. Rides are never, necessarily my top priority. Shows are fun, as well. I have visited the website, and I will be sure to do that shortly before I leave, so as to not miss something I might enjoy.

I can easily see spending two days there at Universal. First of all, I have never been there before, and 2ndly, I like to take my time. My friend Annette has been there before, and she is really looking forward to seeing the new Harry Potter stuff. However, I like to not be rushed to get everything done in one day. I also love to take pictures, so I am sure that I will do a lot of that. Rides are never, necessarily my top priority. Shows are fun, as well. I have visited the website, and I will be sure to do that shortly before I leave, so as to not miss something I might enjoy.
    I like your style, Barbara. To stop & smell the roses, to slow down and take it all in. Not everyone does that.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My age has something to do with my slower pace. Although, I have always been someone who doesn't like to run through a place. Whether it be a themepark, a shopping mall, a grocery store.

Universal will be brand new to me. In fact much of Disney World will feel new as well, since I haven't visited in almost four years.

My biggest worry is that my friend Annette may have a different touring pace.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yesterday I received the Vacation Planning DVD that I ordered off the Disney World website. I was hoping it would have more footage about the Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom. The new Fantasyland was mentioned, but not shown except for a few scenes of construction walls. The same was true of the Disneyland section on the DVD. Carsland was mentioned but not complete when the present DVD was made. I guess it takes them, longer than I thought, to catch up.

Good thing we have Micechat then.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

MiceChat does a wonderful job of reporting on all the great things that are happening at both Disney World, and Disneyland. They have wonderful photographers who take excellent pictures. I tripped upon this place in 2005 when I was planning my very first trip to Disneyland, and they have never disappointed me. The give me information, provide me with photos of the parks, and they tell it like it is.

I noticed when I was watching both the Disney World side of the CD, and the Disneyland side, that lots of what I was seeing and hearing was exactly the same.

I am looking forward to both of my vacations. I almost made my airline reservation today for my January trip to California, but American Airline didn't offer me an isle seat. It seems they are reserved for those belonging to some special program. I usually fly United, so I'll just have to wait for those prices to go down a little further.

Right now my April airline prices are stuck on $238. I hope to see them go under 200.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast