Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: I Wanna Go Back To Disney World - Or Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I am looking forward to both of my vacations. I almost made my airline reservation today for my January trip to California, but American Airline didn't offer me an isle seat. It seems they are reserved for those belonging to some special program. I usually fly United, so I'll just have to wait for those prices to go down a little further.

Right now my April airline prices are stuck on $238. I hope to see them go under 200.
    I'm surprised you looked towards American, after all the trouble they've had lately.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I'm surprised you looked towards American, after all the trouble they've had lately.
    Yes, I considered it, and then changed my mind, for several reasons. Not too many airlines fly direct from Chicago to Santa Ana Airport.

Yes, I considered it, and then changed my mind, for several reasons. Not too many airlines fly direct from Chicago to Santa Ana Airport.
    My instant witty retort when I saw those reports on the seat problems was "I know I asked for reclining seats, but this is ridiculous!"
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I admit being out of the loop when it comes to American Airlines.

Google is my friend. I guess I need to pay better attention to the evening news.

I admit being out of the loop when it comes to American Airlines.

Google is my friend. I guess I need to pay better attention to the evening news.

Did you see the report? It was on local news and even made ABC Nightly News with Diane Sawyer for a few nights. Seats had come loose on a few AA 757 planes while passengers were sitting in them during take off. In one photo, the seats had tilted way back. A new meaning to reclining seats.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

This must have happened during the time when my husband was recently hospitalized.

This must have happened during the time when my husband was recently hospitalized.
    If that was within the last two weeks, then yes.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That's exactly when my husband was hospitalized. I spent time doing everything except watching the news.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yesterday, I finally looked at the guidebook that I bought titled, "Beyond Disney". Actually, the full title is the Unofficial Guide Beyond Disney. I immediately fast forwarded to the pages covering The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. What I read was a bit confusing, so I will read it a second time for sure. Next time I think that I will put the Universal map on the computer, so I can familiarize myself with the way things are arranged.

It's nice to be seeing pictures of parts of the new Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom. The Dumbos look really great. It is one of my favorite rides. I usually hit that first thing in the morning. Although, the queue looks quite long for The Little Mermaid attraction, I am especially looking forward to riding that ride. I am sure I will take a lot of pictures.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It looks like my Disney World - Universal vacation just went from 2 people to 3 people. My grandson's mom will be the third traveler. Kathy has traveled with me to Disney World before on several occasions. She will ride just about anything, so at least Annette won't have to ride Harry Potter without me, if I should chicken out at the last minute.

My hotel room is actually a 2 bedroom, so that won't be a problem, and airline seats are three across. Kathy, and Annette are both drivers, so that is a plus as well.

I need to sit down, and really read the guidebooks that I have purchased. I am sure a lot has changed since my last visit in 2009.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

If you go to Hogsmeade, be sure to eat at the Three Broomsticks and ask for a table where you might see the shadows of house elves and owls and things upstairs in that establishment. If you are a Harry Potter fan you will be delighted by the food and drink, the music, and the overall enchantment to be found in the place. You will feel that you really are in Hogsmeade...and don't forget to pick up a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. You can also get them, much, much cheaper, in bulk...but buy at least one box...because...hidden in the very bottom of that box you will find a folded sheet of paper
    on which is a detailed, full color chart identifying the flavours of the various beans. You'll
    find Sherbert Lemon, Blueberry, Banana, Green Apples, Cherry, Watermelon and such...but you will also find Bogies, Earthworm, Dirt, Sausage, Ear Wax, Black Pepper, Rotten Egg, Soap, and Vomit. Be brave...like Ron Weasley, I love these things. They've sold millions and millions of boxes to us Muggles you know... Seriously, you will love them...just like Ron.
    The Chocolate Frogs are huge...come with a collector's card featuring one of the four founders of Hogwarts...and they come in a box even more beautiful than the ones in the movie...lots of chocolate...so wait till you are about to go back to your hotel before you buy one. You are gonna love Hogsmeade...and New Fantasyland too. Undiscovered wonders and enchantment awaits!

You are going to absolutely delight in all the details...you might even get to see Ron make it snow in the Defense Against The Dark Arts Classroom...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks, Dan. I want to spend at least two days at Universal Studios. I sure hope that's going to be enough, so I go home satisfied, and not missing much. I absolutely loved the Harry Potter books, and movies, and to actually experience the world represented there makes me very excited just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

If you go to Hogsmeade, be sure to eat at the Three Broomsticks and ask for a table where you might see the shadows of house elves and owls and things upstairs in that establishment. If you are a Harry Potter fan you will be delighted by the food and drink, the music, and the overall enchantment to be found in the place. You will feel that you really are in Hogsmeade...and don't forget to pick up a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. You can also get them, much, much cheaper, in bulk...but buy at least one box...because...hidden in the very bottom of that box you will find a folded sheet of paper
    on which is a detailed, full color chart identifying the flavours of the various beans. You'll
    find Sherbert Lemon, Blueberry, Banana, Green Apples, Cherry, Watermelon and such...but you will also find Bogies, Earthworm, Dirt, Sausage, Ear Wax, Black Pepper, Rotten Egg, Soap, and Vomit. Be brave...like Ron Weasley, I love these things. They've sold millions and millions of boxes to us Muggles you know... Seriously, you will love them...just like Ron.
    The Chocolate Frogs are huge...come with a collector's card featuring one of the four founders of Hogwarts...and they come in a box even more beautiful than the ones in the movie...lots of chocolate...so wait till you are about to go back to your hotel before you buy one. You are gonna love Hogsmeade...and New Fantasyland too. Undiscovered wonders and enchantment awaits!

You are going to absolutely delight in all the details...you might even get to see Ron make it snow in the Defense Against The Dark Arts Classroom...

Wild Ol' Dan
    <sigh>

I am speaking as someone who does not like roller coasters. The fastest/thrillest ride I will go on is Big Thunder Mountain and that is on a good day. On a recent trip to Universal Studios I decided The Mummy was too much for me. That being said I was perfectly fine on the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I know the seats look hard core but the ride does not go that fast. At one point you are put flat on your back but that is more to look at the ceiling. You do not make a full loop around. This ride is tamer than Big Thunder Mountain if you are looking for a point of reference. I was the girl laying on the sidewalk after my one and only ride on Tower of Terror so I am as scared as they come and this ride was fun for me. So much fun that I rode it twice. Now the dueling dragon ride...I sat that one out.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well...first...let me express my admiration for the wisdom of tenchikiss in the matter of those dragons. I'm not particularly a fan of roller coasters either. Did you know that Professor Dumbledore himself once went on that ride? He did, and afterwards his words of wisdom were, "Never again!" Still, it is fun to go through the queue for that...to see the Weasley's car deep in the Dark Forest...to see the Tri-wizard Cup, the Champion's Tent, and all the banners supporting Potter, Diggory, Crumb, and Delacour in the contest.

To me, the real magic of the Wizarding World is simply exploring the place looking for memories from the films and books. It's hard to describe the magic of actually walking up on the Weasley car, in it's wild state out there in the woods, and have it flash it's lights and beep it's horn at you.

Looking in the windows of the many shops in Hogsmeade it is possible to see and hear a Howler, just like the one Ron got from Mrs. Weasley, in action. You might spot several books by Gilderoy Lockhart himself in the window of the bookshop. You might spot Neville Longbottom's favorite cactus in the window of another shop along side of a rather noisy Mandrake plant. You'll hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathrooms. And, you'll actually be able to buy an Extendable Ear in Zonkos! I have mine right next to me as I type this.

Now, we've all seen Harry get his first wand at Ollivanders...imagine what it would be like to actually stand in that shop and watch someone as a wand selects them...I can tell you that it is more than a wee bit magical. We've all seen those beautiful girls from the Beauxbaton Academy of Magic...or those young men from the Durmstrang Institute... imagine seeing them perform live right in front of you.

I was there many months ago when they had a special event celebrating the films and many of the stars visited...I can show you the exact spot where Harry, Ron, Draco, and Professor Dumbledore sat inside the Three Broomsticks. It's hard to explain the magic of seeing Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang, Seamus Finigan, Ginny Weasley, Arthur Weasley, the Weasley Twins, and, even, Lavender Brown live and in person. They were all there including Mr. Filch and Professor Flitwick who shared with us a quick lesson in one of the most rudimentary of magical skills...levitation! Oh, what a delight that event was...and I surely hope that events of that nature become an annual tradition.

But, wandering through those gates...seeing the Hogwarts Express up close...discovering details taken directly out of the imagination of J.K. Rowling herself...it's amazing beyond words.

Hogsmeade is far, far more than just a thrill ride park...it is a tribute to the whole Wizarding World. To hear Hagrid's voice giving you instructions in the dark forest...to see his hut...to see and bow to Buckbeak, the Hippogriff...to watch and hear the Hogwarts Frog Chior...to see the Mirror of Erised...to actually stand in Professor Dumbledore's office as he warns you about an escaped dragon...to watch portraits of the four founders of Hogwarts actually move and talk to each other. Oh...you will never want to leave... Did I mention Butterbeer or Pumpkin Juice? Did I mention the wonderful things you might discover in Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods?

I visited Hogsmeade every day for two weeks earlier this month...and already I've been away too long. My box of Peppermint Toads from Honeydukes is empty...be sure to try these when you visit... Plan to take your time and savor every bit of the magic that you can.

One tip about Hogwarts...just after you enter the castle ask a student if you might take the "walking tour" first. He or she will direct you to a pathway that allows you to enjoy and savor many highlights at a relaxed pace. In the main line for the ride you will be moving much too fast, but on the walk through you can take as much time as you would like listening to the four Founder's of Hogwarts arguing with each other...you can listen to all of Headmaster Dumbledore's words about dragons and ghosts and things...you can listen as Harry and Ron and Hermione appear from under the Invisibility Cloak in the Defense Against the Dark Arts Classrom trying to help you escape from Professor Binn's lecture. You can spend a few minutes in the Gryffindor Common Room looking around. Sadly I believe many muggles go through the Gryffindor Common Room so fast they do not even know where they are...they are so focused on the ride up ahead.

Later as you go through the ride line you'll see what I mean... Somehow I can't possibly imagine visiting Hogwarts and not wanting to savor every second...to hear the Potions Professor yelling at Mr. Longbottom...to see Professor Sprout's Mandrakes all locked up in those cages in the greenhouse...but, sadly, many muggles miss much of the magic because they are in a mad rush to meet Hermione in the Room of Requirement and fly off to the Quidditch Pitch with Harry and Ron... If you ride, watch out for that big ol' Willow Tree by the way...not to mention a few "other things"...

Undiscovered wonders and real enchantment await...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 10-28-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast