Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Agreed! Disney will never bring back the original Journey into Imagination, they will never rebuild Horizons, and, even though it would be relatively easy to do, they will never bring back WoL. And honestly, they don't need to. They just need to actually put imagination, ingenuity, and creativity into their additions instead of just throwing Nemo into the Seas, shoehorning P&F into WS (with yet another cheap "interactive" game). Why does TDR and HKDL get amazingly detailed unique attractions, while EPCOT, a park build on the ideas of innovation, gets Nemo onimovers replacing a future ocean pavilion, rides designed for other parks and thrown in where they don't fit, and interactive games that distract guests from how incredibly lacking the park now is.
    So Disney will never bring back these great attraction that what made Epcot of the 80's and 90's so great in your opinion, would you please explain why we'll never see any of the great attractions again. I agree with Coastierox about retro-future being one of the fun parts of Epcot, when it opened as EPCOT Center back in 1982, it was billed as a permenent world's fair, and edutainment is what made Epcot far more unique than all the other Disney theme parks. I don't agree at all with what Bronco21 said about Disney never bringing back Horizons, the original JII and such, because things billed as "it's never going to happen" have happened before, and there are alot of Disney fans who remember how great Epcot was back in the 80's and 90's, not to mention that I myself was fortunate enough to see the old EPCOT Center back in the 80's and had the great pleasure to see Horizons, original JII, WoL and such and I would love to see 2010's generationers to see these great attractions just like I did back in the 80's. These people are campaigning and petitioning to Disney to bring back these great Epcot attractions so who know maybe Disney will have enough sense to see how dreadful Epcot is now, so don't ever say it's never going to happen, because who knows it just might.
    Last edited by edward1978; 07-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Does anyone within the company who is able to make such decisions even like Epcot, or at least know what it's supposed to be? Practically everything they've done with the place since the 90s has indicated that the answer is no.

EPCOT Center was the first non Disneyland park ever built and was such a tremendous departure from what everyone expected from Disney that it surprised a lot of people. It surprised them so much that they didn't know what to do with it or how to market it properly. The only thing they could come up with was to make it more like Disneyland, but the park itself refused. They continually try to cram this place built to challenge what we as people are capable of full of of wishes characters and fairy dust in the hope that a castle will spring out of the ground, but it's not working. Epcot was designed way too well to ever allow itself to be turned into another disneyland.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

edward, it'd take tens of millions of dollars to bring back an attraction like Horizons. And Disney has no reason to. The attraction, as much as you and I loved it, was a failure in keeping the crowds over a long period of time like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion has. If Disney is going to sink tens of millions of dollars into an attraction, it'll be something new, not bringing back a failed attraction.

I only wish it reeked of 1985 still! That would be a step forward!
    1982 - Contemporary (1 week), 1987 - Visit (2 weeks, offsite), 1988 - Visit (1 week, offsite), 1989 - Visit (3 weeks, offsite), 1990 - Visit (5 weeks, offsite), 1991 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite), 1992 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite)
    1993 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite), 1994 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite), 1995 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite)

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    edward, it'd take tens of millions of dollars to bring back an attraction like Horizons. And Disney has no reason to. The attraction, as much as you and I loved it, was a failure in keeping the crowds over a long period of time like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion has. If Disney is going to sink tens of millions of dollars into an attraction, it'll be something new, not bringing back a failed attraction.
    Couldn't have said it better myself... Costs in 1980's Disney were much lower than 2012 Disney (DCA's Little Mermiad cost $100 million compared to huge Expedition Everest built not too long before). Horizons was demolished because it was not as popular as us Disney fans sometimes think. Modern Disney is not going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a ride that was lacking popularity in the 90's. Captain EO was brought back because it was cheap! If Captain EO was an elaborate dark ride, no amount of Michael Jackson fan call out could have brought it back.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Mostly Harmless.

Couldn't have said it better myself... Costs in 1980's Disney were much lower than 2012 Disney (DCA's Little Mermiad cost $100 million compared to huge Expedition Everest built not too long before). Horizons was demolished because it was not as popular as us Disney fans sometimes think. Modern Disney is not going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a ride that was lacking popularity in the 90's. Captain EO was brought back because it was cheap! If Captain EO was an elaborate dark ride, no amount of Michael Jackson fan call out could have brought it back.
    Captain EO was brought back to capitalize on a dead guy... Just sayin'.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Imagineers have said they got some big plans for the Imagination pavilion but aren't at liberty to say what yet (still waiting to get the green light). In the meantime, I want EO to stick around for at least another year or 2 because as cheesy as it is, I love it - shut it haters. (plus my aunt is making a Captain EO costume for my Duffy for Halloween this year so I want to be able to show it off as much as possible once she sends it to me).

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Imagineers have said they got some big plans for the Imagination pavilion but aren't at liberty to say what yet (still waiting to get the green light). In the meantime, I want EO to stick around for at least another year or 2 because as cheesy as it is, I love it - shut it haters. (plus my aunt is making a Captain EO costume for my Duffy for Halloween this year so I want to be able to show it off as much as possible once she sends it to me).
    Id like to see EO stay as a memorial to Micheal Jackson. And personally I like it better than HISTA, the movie responsible for Imaginations current state.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Unhelpful User

Oh really? I didn't know that Horizons was not that popular in the 90's than I thought. Based on what I read through message board threads and youtube comments, they are all posting and petitioning to Disney wanting Horizons back and I don't blame them, so what if Horizons was all that popular in the 90's, it's a hell of a lot better ride than Mission: SPACE. Maybe Horizons would be more popular here in 2012 than it was in the 90's.

Hey Amister, when in your opinion will work will begin on the big plans for the Imagination Pavilion as you stated in your reply?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    How about fixing the entire Future part of EPCOT? Talk about a place that reeks 1985.
    If only! I can't remember what blog it was, but I agreed with a blogger who wrote that Future World "looks like 1994 threw up all over it."

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    Oh really? I didn't know that Horizons was not that popular in the 90's than I thought. Based on what I read through message board threads and youtube comments, they are all posting and petitioning to Disney wanting Horizons back and I don't blame them, so what if Horizons was all that popular in the 90's, it's a hell of a lot better ride than Mission: SPACE. Maybe Horizons would be more popular here in 2012 than it was in the 90's.

Hey Amister, when in your opinion will work will begin on the big plans for the Imagination Pavilion as you stated in your reply?
    I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF DISNEY BROUGHT BACK HORIZONS! I'm just saying that there is no way Disney is going to invest in bringing back an old dated ride! I'm not arguing over this, it's not my opinion, it is a fact! Disney will not invest on a ride that costs as much as Horizons would without knowing it would be a huge draw.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

...it's not my opinion, it is a fact!
    Well, no. Unless you have some inside information or are actively working for the Walt Disney Company, it's just an opinion. It's an opinion I share, and I'm pretty sure we're both right, but it's still just an opinion.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    I honestly have no idea of a timeframe. I just remember back in 2010 when EO reopened at Epcot, I saw a video on YouTube from I believe it was Attractions Magazine (was them or Inside the Magic), where they interviewed some Imagineers about it and when they were asked about the ride part of the pavilion, they stated they have big plans but weren't at liberty to say what. That was 2 years ago. That's where I got my information.

I love Epcot because it's so uniquely Floridian, it will never be duplicated anywhere. While DHS the third best park at WDW gets copied. I agree that Disney would never rebuild an attraction, it would be and admission of a bad decision to close the attraction in the first place so you have to look forward.

Even though it had a sponsor I think Mission Space may put the last nail in the coffin for sponsors. It was designed by Disney (I believe anyway), it was a ton of money and almost never has a line. It goes so fast that you can't see the cool theming of the attraction.On the plus side it's a beautiful building. But if I were the sponsor it would be very hard to justify such a large investment to the Board of Directors for a seemingly small return.

Disney is such a conundrum sometimes, on the one hand they provide a product deeply ingrained in our culture and emotions on the other they are clearly a corporation whose mission is to make a profit. So it's just common sense that they select projects that have the smallest layout of cash and the largest return in income. Once in awhile they do take big risks such as DCA and it looks like it will pay-off handsomely for them. Perhaps that will make them less risk averse and more willing to take large projects, let's hope.

I hope after the success of DCA and Fantasyland, they will look at EPCOT futureworld. It's in dire need of some love.
    1982 - Contemporary (1 week), 1987 - Visit (2 weeks, offsite), 1988 - Visit (1 week, offsite), 1989 - Visit (3 weeks, offsite), 1990 - Visit (5 weeks, offsite), 1991 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite), 1992 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite)
    1993 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite), 1994 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite), 1995 - Visit (6 weeks, offsite)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast