Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Posts
    22

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    I love Captain EO and I hope Duffy dress up as Captain Eo! I was thinking to have a new 3D movie in the Imagination?
    JEANY SANCHEZ






  2. #32

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Duffy is one of those things that breaks my brain. I get the idea of a cute plushie that you can buy different outfits for and dress up. I also get that World Showcase provides a good number of unique outfits to dress up a cute plushie that wears people clothes. I also get that Duffy is very popular in Japan. Things start to fall apart when I think about this as an Epcot thing. Epcot already has Figment. Figment is very popular in Epcot, which is a lot closer to Epcot than Japan seeing as Epcot and Epcot are the same place. Figment also sometimes wears people clothes. He also on occasion has been known to wear people clothes from the various cultures represented in World Showcase. Why does Epcot need Duffy to do a thing that Figment already does. Couldn't they have just made a cute Figment plushie that wears people clothes? It would make the whole thing look a lot less like the Build-A-Bear ripoff that it is to have a dragon instead of another bear. Maybe that's why they wanted Duffy, because Build-A-Bear was successful and just buying Build-A-Bear was too expensive so they just ripped it off and using a dragon instead of a bear was way too outside the box to assure success. We know bear works. Let's stick with a bear.

    Crazed ranting aside, I accept that Duffy exists now. So if Duffy is supposed to be the mascot for Epcot or World Showcase, or animals that wear people clothes, or whatever, why doesn't he have a Captain EO or Dreamfinder outfit. Is there anyone behind the wheel of this thing at all?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  3. #33

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    6

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Is there anyone behind the wheel of this thing at all?
    Nope. Not at Epcot anyways.

    I surely hope Future World gets the love and attention it needs soon. Iger said now that new DCA is done, they don't have any MAJOR construction projects in store other than New Fantasyland. They're just planning to sit back and rake in some revenue for a while and start "dreaming" up something new i guess. Hopefully Epcot is the next patient in line for a checkup (and is probably the park that needs it the most), and has enough to cover the expenses of getting a real attraction, not some Next Generation nonsense. There are loads of venues open that Disney isn't taking, like upstairs Imageworks or WoL or even the Odessey. That upstairs Imageworks area hasn't been touched since its closing, just completely abandoned Image Works @ The Imagination Pavilion: Then and Now - YouTube. I guess Disney doesn't want to take any chances dark rides that aren't character-related or don't have a sponsor. Plus, I highly doubt any major company would want to take the risk of sponsoring a non-thrill-ride nowadays. I just want Epcot to be classy again

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    I don't think that the people on this message board, who are extremely passionate, hardcore fans, are a very accurate sample to judge the popularity of Horizons. The people who will take the time to read and post on message boards about a ride that has been closed for years are people who loved that ride... but the majority of park visitors at the time were losing interest. And as great as the ride was, the idea of bringing it back now is silly. The ride was built to show life in the future, but that future is now. The only way it could be brought back would be to do a completely updated version, and would we really want that? Sure, it might be great, but there is a real chance it would just pale in comparison to everyone's memory of the original ride. WDW would be better off building a completely new attraction, methinks.

    This thread is making me laugh...it seems like all anyone has said lately is that DHS is the obvious problem park at WDW that needs attention ASAP, but now, Future World is getting that honor! If the next big project(s) at WDW do indeed take place at Epcot instead of DHS, I would love to see the Imagination Pavilion redone RIGHT. I loved the old Imagination ride, but again, I would love even more to see something new. I think someone on these boards had the idea a while back that Apple would make an ideal sponsor for this pavilion - YES! Who better to outfit a whole new Imageworks lab with lots of fun technology?! Figment is the mascot of Epcot, and the best way to engage kids there without resorting to shoehorning Disney characters into rides (ahem, see the Mexico Pavilion). Figment needs a proper home! I love Captain EO for the nostalgia factor, but if the pavilion is redone, it needs a new movie to complete a new theme.

  5. #35

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    737

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    If they were to add anything new, I think the 30th Anniversary of Epcot happening tomorrow would be the right stage to announce.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.











  6. #36

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    625

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    Do you guys know what might be the next project for Epcot after the Test Track refurb is complete. My guess would be that since the new version of Test Track is so futuristic maybe a New Fantasyland type project could be in the works for Epcot, like expanding pavilions for new versions or return of Epcot attractions that we know and love like enlarging the building that houses Mission: SPACE to make way for the return of Horizons, enlarge the transportation pavilion to make way for World of Motion 2.0, bringing back the original Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder and the upstairs ImageWorks which I am hoping is Epcot's next project. That my opinion, what do you think is the next Epcot project?
    I don't know what is definitely next, but it would be nice if they could do a new version of the Imagination pavilion.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

    1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

  7. #37

    • We'll hold them at bay
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    im rooting for a new WS pavillon like Brazil
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom


  8. #38

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    27

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Duffy is one of those things that breaks my brain. I get the idea of a cute plushie that you can buy different outfits for and dress up. I also get that World Showcase provides a good number of unique outfits to dress up a cute plushie that wears people clothes. I also get that Duffy is very popular in Japan. Things start to fall apart when I think about this as an Epcot thing. Epcot already has Figment. Figment is very popular in Epcot, which is a lot closer to Epcot than Japan seeing as Epcot and Epcot are the same place. Figment also sometimes wears people clothes. He also on occasion has been known to wear people clothes from the various cultures represented in World Showcase. Why does Epcot need Duffy to do a thing that Figment already does. Couldn't they have just made a cute Figment plushie that wears people clothes? It would make the whole thing look a lot less like the Build-A-Bear ripoff that it is to have a dragon instead of another bear. Maybe that's why they wanted Duffy, because Build-A-Bear was successful and just buying Build-A-Bear was too expensive so they just ripped it off and using a dragon instead of a bear was way too outside the box to assure success. We know bear works. Let's stick with a bear.

    Crazed ranting aside, I accept that Duffy exists now. So if Duffy is supposed to be the mascot for Epcot or World Showcase, or animals that wear people clothes, or whatever, why doesn't he have a Captain EO or Dreamfinder outfit. Is there anyone behind the wheel of this thing at all?

    Considering your name is Dan and you are probably 40-70 years old, I kind of doubt Duffy was made with you in mind. Seriously, why do people such as yourself never even try considering the fact you are viewing things through an extremely biased point of view? And it's always the older guys complaining about things like this or meet and greets, or Storytime with Belle, or whatever else that wasn't designed to appeal to them in the first place. Duffy is made to appeal to women and girls, and he sells great. You lost that one, since he's a successful product. If girls and women wanted Figment, they would be selling him. But he doesn't have that same kind of appeal, so Disney would be throwing money away and making a horrible business decision if they listened to you.

    And I'm going to post something else that is going to shock people. The Imaginations dark ride is fine. I enjoy it as is. If they want to dump more money into Epcot, build something new in the unused space like the Wonders of Life Pavilion or the expansion pads in World Showcase. I'm also fine with Captain E-O. Michael Jackson is still one of the best selling music artists on a yearly basis. Everyone still listens to him, and the Francis Ford Coppola movie has amazing set design and photography.

  9. #39

    • WDW will always be home.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    697

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    Considering your name is Dan and you are probably 40-70 years old, I kind of doubt Duffy was made with you in mind. Seriously, why do people such as yourself never even try considering the fact you are viewing things through an extremely biased point of view? And it's always the older guys complaining about things like this or meet and greets, or Storytime with Belle, or whatever else that wasn't designed to appeal to them in the first place. Duffy is made to appeal to women and girls, and he sells great. You lost that one, since he's a successful product. If girls and women wanted Figment, they would be selling him. But he doesn't have that same kind of appeal, so Disney would be throwing money away and making a horrible business decision if they listened to you.

    And I'm going to post something else that is going to shock people. The Imaginations dark ride is fine. I enjoy it as is. If they want to dump more money into Epcot, build something new in the unused space like the Wonders of Life Pavilion or the expansion pads in World Showcase. I'm also fine with Captain E-O. Michael Jackson is still one of the best selling music artists on a yearly basis. Everyone still listens to him, and the Francis Ford Coppola movie has amazing set design and photography.

    1. Duffy merchandise has not met sales projections or goals in the U.S. parks - it sells ok, but it's not even close to being the runaway hit that Parks & Resorts was hoping for. Duffy's continued omnipresence in the parks has more to do with Disney trying to force everyone to buy into Duffy than it has to do with Duffy's level of success/popularity.
    2. Figment merchandise still sells (which is why Epcot still sells it).
    3. The current Imagination dark ride is not fine, and that is not the ramblings of a disgruntled fanboy. The fact that Imagination is not fine is evidenced by the fact that the attraction is a ghost town at any/all times of day/the year, and even more damningly, there is 0 change in guest satisfaction levels when the ride is closed vs. when it is open. (I believe King Eric can provide verification/more details on that one.) As someone who believes in the ideals/goals/vision behind EPCOT Center, the art of Imagineering, and cohesion of theme, I may not be happy with Soarin' in The Land, but at least it's a "successful" (popular) attraction. The current iteration of Imagination is not successful by any standard.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney



  10. #40

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    27

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?


    1. Duffy merchandise has not met sales projections or goals in the U.S. parks - it sells ok, but it's not even close to being the runaway hit that Parks & Resorts was hoping for. Duffy's continued omnipresence in the parks has more to do with Disney trying to force everyone to buy into Duffy than it has to do with Duffy's level of success/popularity.
    They had to limit the amount of Duffy merch sold to individual guests to meet demand. That's what the parks blog said. I'm going with the blog. I know some very pathetic psychopaths are claiming that's a cover-up that's part of a conspiracy at other forums, but I've learned enough that they're just shoving their hate of the TDO down everyone's throat in every opinion they articulate online. Obscuring the truth, that some new girly merchandise item they bizarrely do not approve of, sells well is par for the course.

    Figment merchandise still sells
    And it will never sell like Duffy and have the appeal of Duffy.

    The current Imagination dark ride is not fine
    It is fine. That's my opinion. The ride isn't a ghost town. There's been lines nearly every time I've been up there. The wait time is comparable to Spaceship Earth. But certain nostalgia-mongers will never suggest shuttering Spaceship Earth in a million years, or they would call for people's heads. Honestly, the original version of Imagination wasn't as great as people suggest. I recall it quite vividly. It was actually kind of annoying on some level personally.

  11. #41

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    20

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    PSUMark, I couldn't agree more! The Imagination pavilion needs desperate help. The original Journey Into Imagination was, in my mind, Epcot's masterpiece. While it will, sadly, never be re-created, there needs to at least be a new E-ticket where it once stood.

    I loved Horizons and World of Motion, and I have very mediocre feelings on Mission: SPACE and Test Track, but at least an E-ticket was closed to make way for a NEW E-ticket. When JII closed, the two most recent reincarnations of the ride are barely at a "C" in my mind. For me, Journey into Imagination began as Epcot's best attraction, and is now Epcot's worst attraction.

    I can't imagine a greater thing, than having the original Figment be back in an E-ticket. He really is the icon of Epcot, he just needs an attraction to be proud of!

  12. #42

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    Considering your name is Dan and you are probably 40-70 years old...
    Well you're already wrong. Starting off your opinion with an assumption pulled out of the clear blue sky is never a good idea. The rest isn't worth responding to because I know any factual evidence anyone presents that conflicts with your belied that everything is fine as it is will be immediately ignored. Even if everything is fine, fine isn't good enough when people expect amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    Seriously, why do people such as yourself never even try considering the fact you are viewing things through an extremely biased point of view?
    Hello Mr. Pot, there was just a kettle in here asking about you.

    My spider senses tell me that they are taking a long look at Imagination. At first I thought things like trotting out the Dreamfinder at D23 were just lip service stunts to the fans in order to move some limited edition merchandise, but I think they might have been testing the waters to see if the character still worked. I don't think they can afford to wait for a sponsor to come a long and pick up the tab anymore. They know that the Imagination Pavilion is gigantic mess and they finally realized that they need to do something about it.

    I also think Future World in general needs some cosmetic freshening up. The flying triangles on the south side of Spaceship Earth and the tombstones on the north side need to go away. This really should have been done for the 30th but they could just um... make it part of the year long celebration, right?
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-30-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  13. #43

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    737

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    And it will never sell like Duffy and have the appeal of Duffy.
    Just like Duffy will never sell or have the appeal of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Chip, Dale, Daisy, and Pluto.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.











  14. #44

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    20

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Let's hope that Imagination is next!

    Oh, and happy 30th Epcot!!!

  15. #45

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,060
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    They had to limit the amount of Duffy merch sold to individual guests to meet demand. That's what the parks blog said. I'm going with the blog. I know some very pathetic psychopaths are claiming that's a cover-up that's part of a conspiracy at other forums, but I've learned enough that they're just shoving their hate of the TDO down everyone's throat in every opinion they articulate online. Obscuring the truth, that some new girly merchandise item they bizarrely do not approve of, sells well is par for the course.
    Ever heard of a "limited edition"? It is a means by which retailers are able to sell a product at a premium by deliberately limiting supply below demand levels. Basic economics. It is not a strange concept nor is it considered to be in the realms of conspiracies. Understanding sales figures it very much what Disney does best and it is very easy to adjust production to meet the known demand. To infer that selling out of merchandise indicates a certain level popularity is to assume a great deal, as it offers no indication of production size or of the size of prior production runs.

    Duffy merchandise never sold out when it was initially available. You're also discounting the completely failure of Duffy's initial release as "The Disney Bear" before he was rebooted as Duffy and tied into Tokyo DisneySEA. And to this day, the poor guy hardly gets any visitors on either coast. Want to meet Duffy? Then just walk right up! If its a busy day, there might be a group or two ahead of you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So What's next for Tokyo Disneyland?
    By WDWSageoftime in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
  2. So what's next for Disney Sea?
    By WDWSageoftime in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM
  3. What's next for TDL's Tomorrowland
    By pancakesaregood in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 01:06 PM
  4. What's next for Roller Coaster Tycoon??
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 04:08 AM
  5. What's next for WDW
    By CaliforniaAdventurer in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 10:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •