Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• WDW will always be home.

Re: What's next for Epcot after Test Track refurb?

Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    They had to limit the amount of Duffy merch sold to individual guests to meet demand. That's what the parks blog said...

And it will never sell like Duffy and have the appeal of Duffy.

It is fine. That's my opinion. The ride isn't a ghost town. There's been lines nearly every time I've been up there. The wait time is comparable to Spaceship Earth. But certain nostalgia-mongers will never suggest shuttering Spaceship Earth in a million years, or they would call for people's heads. Honestly, the original version of Imagination wasn't as great as people suggest. I recall it quite vividly. It was actually kind of annoying on some level personally.
    lazyboy already responded to the "limited edition" Duffy merch adequately, but let me provide some perspective on Duffy vs. Figment. I was in Epcot on Sept. 30th and Oct. 1st. At the sold-out D23 event, they had a panel discussing the history and development of the original Imagination pavilion. When the first sketches of Figment were shown, you could hear a very loud (and very feminine) "Aawwww" come from the audience - it would seem that Figment's appeal with the ladies is alive and well.

At the very end of the Imagination panel, they presented a virtual ride-through of Imagination 1.0. Afterwards, there were people all around me who were wiping tears from their eyes. You could hear people sniffling and blowing their nose throughout the audience. Somehow I doubt that 30 years from now, people will have the same reaction to a video of Eric Idle.

(Also worth giving a brief mention, at one of Marty Sklar's talks on Oct. 1, he said that the only reason Imagination 1.0 was replaced was because Kodak wanted the pavilion to be updated, and that he doesn't think there's anyone who wouldn't say that it's unfortunate that Imagination 1.0 was not retained.)

The next day, Epcot's 30th, the line to get into Mouse Gear, which had the exclusive Epcot 30 merchandise, was literally 2 to 4 hours for most of the day. Shortly after park opening, the line stretched back to the Leave A Legacy plaza in front of SSE. After the CMs re-routed the line, it stretched back to the World Showcase promenade. The Epcot 30 vinylmations - featuring Figment - sold out within 10 minutes of park opening. The Epcot 30 pins - featuring Figment - were a restricted, limited sale (sound familiar?) of two per person. The Epcot 30 t-shirt that featured Figment sold completely out of stock in three days, which meant that it was gone even before Epcot's 30th anniversary, as it went on sale on Friday the 28th. When was the last time Duffy could compete with that level of demand/sales?

Finally, your assessment of Imagination 3.0 is totally off base. First off, it's worth remembering that the only reason we have Imagination 3.0 is because people screamed bloody murder when Figment was removed in Imagination 2.0. (And that wasn't just the hardcore fans - if Disney really cared about what the hardcore fans think, we'd have an updated Horizons instead of Mission: SPACE, and you'd still be able to see 20K from your spot in line at Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in the MK.) But second, you can't judge attraction popularity/attendance simply by comparing wait times because different attraction capacities can and do vary wildly. Case in point - Spaceship Earth has carried the distinction of "most popular attraction in the world" (in terms of ridership) for most of its existence, but rarely has long waits (except for the morning) because it is such an efficient "people eater," similar to other omnimover attractions like HM. Aside from the fact that I've never, ever seen a line at Imagination 3.0 that even approaches the lines that SSE gets in the morning, Imagination is a much less efficient attraction than SSE, so even if they had the same wait time, that would indicate that many more people were riding SSE than Imagination.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 10-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Metro-Retro Historian

How about bringing back pavilion logos? They're fast, cheap to install, fairly marketable especially when it comes to selling things in sets. I totally would have jumped on those shot glasses they were selling for the 30th if they had all nine instead of just the random 4. The only down side is that they are park specific.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Musical Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    How about bringing back pavilion logos? They're fast, cheap to install, fairly marketable especially when it comes to selling things in sets. I totally would have jumped on those shot glasses they were selling for the 30th if they had all nine instead of just the random 4. The only down side is that they are park specific.
    Yea I always wondered why they were phased out? I redesigned the logos sometime ago for the current shows (while I was supposed to be listening to my earth science teacher) I'll have to find them.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Love the idea of reinstating the logos. while we're at it let's bring back the comunicore name

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I thought they were heading in that direction with the Spaceship Earth refurbishment in 07 with it's unique logo.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Epcot_Logo.svg
    but sadly it seems as though the new Test Track is not following suit.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/New_Test_Track_logo.jpg
    http://www.epcyclopedia.com/wp-conte...sttracmarq.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345