Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Is Cars Land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

I should mention I was not evaluating them based on thrill alone, but I think that misses the point. If you close your eyes the whole time yeah RSR would certainly rank lowest. It is however aimed at a more inclusive demographic. But I'll reserve judgement until I've actually experienced it.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    So why do you want to confuse the park even more?
    I don't. You missed the point of what I was saying. You're saying this will never happen because it's incohesive theming. I'm saying that TDO doesn't understand or care about that so it may happen. I never said it was a good idea or that I want it to happen.

---------- Post added 08-04-2012 at 10:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Wait, why isn't Carsland a good fit? Last I checked it was based on a movie.
    If we're going with the working movie studio theme, Carsland still doesn't make sense. The reason movie-based attractions make sense is because you're supposedly enjoying attractions on sets used in filmmaking (e.g.: Catastrophe Canyon or Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground or the entrance to Star Tours which makes it seem like you're entering a set). The Cars sets exist in a computer - there are no sets to visit/see/ride an attraction in. And of course, Cars wouldn't fit in the "golden age of Hollywood" section of the park either. So Cars doesn't really work for any part of DHS, except maybe a "making of" section during the animation tour.

Granted, DHS hasn't followed its own "rules" and has been an amalgamation of ill-fitting attractions squeezed next to each other for over a decade, so this wouldn't be anything new.

Also granted, the "hot set" approach to placemaking and theming is one of the dumbest, laziest, and most ineffective conceits in the history of theme parks. It'd be better for DHS if it was abandoned in favor of a total reconception of the park. But unfortunately that will probably never happen.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    I don't. You missed the point of what I was saying. You're saying this will never happen because it's incohesive theming. I'm saying that TDO doesn't understand or care about that so it may happen. I never said it was a good idea or that I want it to happen.
    And you think that TDA does not also have its own problems with incohesive theming? It seems like too often on these forums that WDW and TDO seem to be disparaged. People need to realize that both WDW and DLR offer the two best themed park vacation destinations in the country. I do not see why people need to belittle WDW or DLR. They are both great so no need to state DLR is better because there is no justification.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    And you think that TDA does not also have its own problems with incohesive theming? It seems like too often on these forums that WDW and TDO seem to be disparaged. People need to realize that both WDW and DLR offer the two best themed park vacation destinations in the country. I do not see why people need to belittle WDW or DLR. They are both great so no need to state DLR is better because there is no justification.
    I didn't mention DLR a single time in any of my comments. I never said that TDA does or doesn't have the same problems. There's really no need to get defensive. I was only pointing out a shortfall of TDO that you yourself acknowledged as legitimate. Please stop reading things into my posts that aren't there.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

I hope this is true! I love Cars and Cars 2!
    JEANY SANCHEZ

I personally don't think WDW would spend the money to build Cars Land. They're already sinking a ton into the new Fantasyland and Avatarland. Honestly, WDW never spends money. Just look at the neglected maintenance, decades old shows and worn out parades.
    Cars Land is a huge hit here at The Disneyland Resort. And it would naturally stir up the rumor mills that one would be coming to WDW. But all the other "hits" at Disneyland and California Adventure rarely make their way to Florida. Never heard any rumors about World of Color heading east. The only things that go to WDW are the ones Disneyland doesn't want anymore so they get shipped out there; Carousel of Progress, Electrical Parade, etc.

A cloned land is just a bad idea. Let's be a bit more bold than that and come up with something unique for DHS.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

I have been following the tread of comments. I have noticed they range from logical and probable to emotional and outright rude. (which seems to happen on this blog when empassioned people are faced to recognize their "opinion" has some major flaws in its concept.

I worked for Disneyland from 1990-1992. Durring my time there I had the opportunity to have long conversations with Marc Davis, John Hench, Ollie Johnson, Frank Thomas, Toni Baxter and many other "unknown" yet very talented Iamagineers. The general consesnus of how attractions are created and built follows this simple time line. As Disneyland has a very loyal local fan base of the 300 million plus people of the Southern California population, the management of Disneyland tends to put new attractions in more frequently as well as pays for much of the research and development of those attractions. This is logical given Disneyalnd has a higher rate of repeat customers who demand regular improvements and attractions. Walt Disney World has a vastly different management approach. Thier customers tend to visit every few years and given the shere number of theme parks and "other" attractions to choose from, do not need to update and reinvent themselves nearly as often as their older sibling in California. Since Disneyland tends to be the more inovative of the parks, they tend to get the newer concepts and larger scale budgets. Walt Disney World tends to scale the size of the attractions down (sometimes rather considerably) and have them built on a significantly smaller budget. Now there are many of you who will be tempted to prove me wrong. I am telling you now, I will not be drawn into an argument. For the sake of my posting, please respect the time I took in writing this before your ego shows how ingnorant and selfish you are capeable of being.

Now when it comes to Carsland at Disney Hollywood Studios; IF Team Disney Florida green lights a version of Carsland for the Hollywood Studio park, you can bet there will be significant cut backs on size, scale, and the budget. Imagine the beautiful rock work of Radiator Springs simply being a large painted back drop. YUCK! Chances are there will be one giant show building, and some of the rock out cropings you race around. No real street to walk down, no junkyard jamboree and no flying tires. The truth sucks at times.

For those who do believe something needs to be done to update Hollywood Studios and give it more of a Studio feel rest assured the constant argument at WDI is how to keep the Studio as an actual studio and theme park at the same time. There is a very limited footprint to the park and a carefull balance has to be achieved. Much of why nothing has been done in the way of improvments to the studio have been because Burbank cannot decide if they want to actually keep the theme park as a working studio or turn it into a full blown thempark based on a studio concept.

Now if one was to let go of the idea of an actual working studio in Orlando Florida, this frees up a considerable amount of land which can be rededicated to exciting attractions and shows. Much of what are considered "Attractions" at Hollywood Studios are nothing more then live performance shows put in during the Eisener Years where the management belief was to build a cheap covered theater, and put a stage musical version of the movie. I honestly believe if Esiener could have convinced WDI to put in Giant TV Screens which showed an edited highlights from the animated films where people can shop while the watch the "attraction" he would have.

I agree much of the Hollywood Studio needs to be addressed as to theme, attractions, food, shopping, and live entertainment need to be reworked. Until there is a true decision as to weather the Studios will be a theme park AND working Studio or it becomes a full blown theme park, we will continue to see very little in the way of new attractions at the Studios.

Now for the people who want to see the damn dunce (sorcerer's apprentice) hat removed, I firmly agree with you. The hat is a major disconect and a very ugly shop selling pins. (Of which personally belive the pins could be sold in a much more attractive and subtle TENT)

Carsland is cute and beautiful. It would really stand out against the Florida climate. I agree with those who feel each of the Disney Parks need to have their own identity and unique attractions. Florida has Test Track. I seriously doubt Management would have ever approved the money to fix up and improve Test Track if they knew that Carsland would be coming to the Hollywood Studios.

Rest assured Disney purists, Catastrophy Canyon will be coming down at some point. The Car Stunt show and Indy Stunt show will be coming out as well. Much has been learned in the rebranding of California Adventure and I am sure management would like to make sure the top 10 theme parks in the word are Disney Parks. If Harry Potter World has done anything, is the folks at Universal have gotten Disney Management to actually start to be creative again.
    Last edited by Kamerun; 08-08-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Kamerun View Post
    The general consesnus of how attractions are created and built follows this simple time line. As Disneyland has a very loyal local fan base of the 300 million plus people of the Southern California population, the management of Disneyland tends to put new attractions in more frequently as well as pays for much of the research and development of those attractions. This is logical given Disneyalnd has a higher rate of repeat customers who demand regular improvements and attractions. Walt Disney World has a vastly different management approach. Thier customers tend to visit every few years and given the shere number of theme parks and "other" attractions to choose from, do not need to update and reinvent themselves nearly as often as their older sibling in California. Since Disneyland tends to be the more inovative of the parks, they tend to get the newer concepts and larger scale budgets. Walt Disney World tends to scale the size of the attractions down (sometimes rather considerably) and have them built on a significantly smaller budget.
    This is true now, but really only because TDO is pretty terrible. Prior to 1994, this was not the case - in fact the entire concept behind WDW when it was first built was to be similar to Disneyland but "scale the size of the attractions [up] (sometimes rather considerably) and have them built on a significantly [higher] budget." We can hope (perhaps in vain, but who knows?) that WDW will receive its Matt Ouimet sooner or later and realize its potential under better management.

Much of why nothing has been done in the way of improvments to the studio have been because Burbank cannot decide if they want to actually keep the theme park as a working studio or turn it into a full blown thempark based on a studio concept.
    This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. DHS is already "a full blown thempark [sic] based on a studio concept." DHS hasn't been a working studio in any sense for over a decade at this point.

I seriously doubt Management would have ever approved the money to fix up and improve Test Track if they knew that Carsland would be coming to the Hollywood Studios.
    Disney management didn't. That's all being paid for by GM - that's why it's happening.

If Harry Potter World has done anything, is the folks at Universal have gotten Disney Management to actually start to be creative again.
    Rather optimistic viewpoint there - I think this one's more realistic.
    -Walt Disney

I've been on RSR and while it's fun I was bit disappointed. It doesn't nearly as fast as I thought it would. I'm heading to WDW in two weeks and I was hoping to try TT but sadly it's down for refurb, but it sounds a lot faster than RSR.

I hope this is not true because there's another thing I'll pass because I can easily ride it 'back home' since I'm an AP holder within 1 hr of DLR.

I'm already planning to skip TSMM and Soarin' while I'm in WDW.
    Cristabel ~ Disneyland AP Holder

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by magicalmoments View Post
    I've been on RSR and while it's fun I was bit disappointed. It doesn't nearly as fast as I thought it would. I'm heading to WDW in two weeks and I was hoping to try TT but sadly it's down for refurb, but it sounds a lot faster than RSR.

I hope this is not true because there's another thing I'll pass because I can easily ride it 'back home' since I'm an AP holder within 1 hr of DLR.

I'm already planning to skip TSMM and Soarin' while I'm in WDW.
    Test track and RSR are two completely different rides. Test Track has little to no theming (at least the original incarnation did), a very poor "story", and a boring uninspired queue. It excels only at having high speeds (for a car is 60 mph really that fast?). RSR on the other hand has immense amounts of theming, a fun easy to follow story, wonderful animatronics, and a super detailed queue (no matter how long it is). The only area that RSR does not accel at is thrills/ speed.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Test track and RSR are two completely different rides. Test Track has little to no theming (at least the original incarnation did), a very poor "story", and a boring uninspired queue. It excels only at having high speeds (for a car is 60 mph really that fast?). RSR on the other hand has immense amounts of theming, a fun easy to follow story, wonderful animatronics, and a super detailed queue (no matter how long it is). The only area that RSR does not accel at is thrills/ speed.
    Maybe Test Track is boring and uninspiring to you but I thought that the queue and the ride theme was great! And I work in a shop... That aside it appeals to the gearhead in many of us. What a great way to see how cars are made and tested, which is one of the intentions of the attraction.
    As far as RSR goes I cannot say what the ride is like as I have not been on it yet, but I can say that it is built on the same/updated(?) ride system. So... completely different rides? Yes and no. It's the same as Indy at DL and Dinosaur. Same ride system and track layout, but completely different theme.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Test track and RSR are two completely different rides. Test Track has little to no theming (at least the original incarnation did)
    Don't discredit the designers saying it has no theming. The ride is highly themed on the inside its just more contemporary, edge, and modern than usual. It may not be the greatest but the designers did add a lot of theming to the ride.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Is A Huge Expansion “In Production” For Disney’s Hollywood Studios? | WDW News Today

Is this for real??? It looks like a bad April Fools joke. The only upsides to this are losing the Sorcerer's hat, expanding Star Wars Land, and the Monsters Inc coaster. But replacing the Chinese Theater facade with CCT is bad repetitive idea, same with Carsland and adding trolleycars. DCA and DHS go by different themes so their offerings should be as different as they can too.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I love the Hat. Is it in the wrong location? Yep. I hope they find a place that it can appreciated. Make it a snack bar at the AoA poolside.....lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast