Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Free Wifi now in Magic Kingdom Park

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    To Do: Go on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin while watching Delta Dreamflight and If You Had Wings ride through videos on youtube.
    Quite possibly the single best post in the history of Micechat.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

That'll be good, I can get online and post to Facebook etc. when I'm in the park anyways over 3G data, but if I even just connect to the parks wifi, it'll save battery life to take more pictures....

If anything I utilize my Droid to take photos but in addition to facebook sometimes while waiting on ride or just relaxing it's fun to play something like words with friends or songpop with the rest of my group...

also if anyone is on songpop or scramble with friends my name is icegater84 and iceg@ter84 respectively :-P
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    Uploading facebook photos while at Disney is like saying, "hey world I'm having fun a thousand miles from home, feel free to rob me blind."

Sorry, but I would never do that. I'm much more likely to carry on a fake conversation with an imaginary house sitter that is staying at my house to see that the 150 lb mastiff is well fed.
    Not everyone allows the world to see whats posted on their facebook. Everyone with access to my fb, family, friends, and a small number of co-workers, would very likely know I am on vacation and away, but I am not thinking any would be robbing me while away.

Facebook only shows the world what you allow, its not hard to protect yourself using privacy settings.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by DancinBelle View Post
    I wonder how Walt would feel? I know we live in a different time, but the whole point of Walt Disney World was to allow you to escape the outside world. Now everyone has a constant connection, and it's taking away from the vacation experience. Countless families go to Disney to spend time together as a family, but mom and dad are still answering work emails and stressing about what is going on back home. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who love having wi-fi available, but it makes you lose sight of the point of vacation: relaxation and family time.
    I'm sympathetic to your position. I hope that this doesn't result in families where the parents are constantly checking email and the kids are constantly playing Words With Friends, but realistically, that's already happening and will continue to happen.

I think there is a way to use personal technology in the parks though, in such a way that it enhances rather than detracts from the experience and escapism and togetherness. I love the Lines app from TouringPlans.com, but I always get terrible data service in the parks (particularly MK). Free Wi-Fi will enable me to use that app to check wait times and crowd levels at the different parks a lot more quickly and easily (i.e.: less time spent staring at my phone will I wait for it to load), which will help me to have a more relaxing and stress-free vacation with less time spent waiting in huge crowds. For me, that's a big plus. There are other similar uses for Wi-Fi, like Disney's own Mobile Magic app.

It saddens me that more people don't value time with their friends and family away from technological distractions (and I'm far from a luddite - I work in the software field), but whether or not WDW has Wi-Fi, that will continue to be the case. I'd rather see Disney promote ways that technology can enhance your vacation rather than hope that generally poor reception prevents people from using their phones in the parks. (It won't.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    Uploading facebook photos while at Disney is like saying, "hey world I'm having fun a thousand miles from home, feel free to rob me blind."

Sorry, but I would never do that. I'm much more likely to carry on a fake conversation with an imaginary house sitter that is staying at my house to see that the 150 lb mastiff is well fed.
    Only if you have your facebook privacy settings set to public and/or are "friends" with a lot of thieves. Both of those can be remedied rather easily.

Wow, is it 2005 already?

Epcot should have had this and been doing all kinds of things with it for years.
    Hey, anyone remember when you could make dining reservations from inside of EPCOT on a touch screen in 1982? It's a lot harder to do that now, if it's even still possible at all. Just saying.
    So much this. It's embarrassing that Epcot didn't have this a decade ago; even more embarrassing that MK got it first.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-09-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ex-wdi View Post
    Quite possibly the single best post in the history of Micechat.
    I second that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12