Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Free Wifi now in Magic Kingdom Park

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet...

It was news that Free Wifi was available in the park now. Apparently it has been confirmed on The Hub now as well.

So.. free wifi to use all those NextGen apps now. Network is 'Disney-Guest'

Enjoy!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Program

Re: Free Wifi now in Magic Kingdom Park

Free Wifi makes the tourist inside of me so happy. Gives me a reason to actually bring my phone with me.

I wonder how Walt would feel? I know we live in a different time, but the whole point of Walt Disney World was to allow you to escape the outside world. Now everyone has a constant connection, and it's taking away from the vacation experience. Countless families go to Disney to spend time together as a family, but mom and dad are still answering work emails and stressing about what is going on back home. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who love having wi-fi available, but it makes you lose sight of the point of vacation: relaxation and family time.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Program

Quote Originally Posted by DancinBelle View Post
    I wonder how Walt would feel? I know we live in a different time, but the whole point of Walt Disney World was to allow you to escape the outside world. Now everyone has a constant connection, and it's taking away from the vacation experience. Countless families go to Disney to spend time together as a family, but mom and dad are still answering work emails and stressing about what is going on back home. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who love having wi-fi available, but it makes you lose sight of the point of vacation: relaxation and family time.
    being "connected" doesn't mean that you're not relaxing.

For example:
    Sometimes when I'm travelling around, I like to upload photos to Facebook. Kind of a "hey guys, I'm here... this is a cool thing that I think you'd like".

Maybe I want to look at a map? Maybe I want to check bus times?

I can do none of this while at WDW without Wifi (stupid Canadaland and their wireless plans...)

• Metro-Retro Historian

Wow, is it 2005 already?

Epcot should have had this and been doing all kinds of things with it for years.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mess98 View Post
    being "connected" doesn't mean that you're not relaxing.

For example:
    Sometimes when I'm travelling around, I like to upload photos to Facebook. Kind of a "hey guys, I'm here... this is a cool thing that I think you'd like".

Maybe I want to look at a map? Maybe I want to check bus times?

I can do none of this while at WDW without Wifi (stupid Canadaland and their wireless plans...)
    Uploading facebook photos while at Disney is like saying, "hey world I'm having fun a thousand miles from home, feel free to rob me blind."

Sorry, but I would never do that. I'm much more likely to carry on a fake conversation with an imaginary house sitter that is staying at my house to see that the 150 lb mastiff is well fed.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think many people use technology all wrong, and inside a Disney park is a great place to see it. Whether it's someone yapping away in his earpiece or someone else with the earbuds in listening to tunes, technology can be a huge distraction from a place that has tons of sensory input. I've fought for years to leave my cell phone in my hotel room. But now that I've got a pretty good camera in my phone, I'm more likely to bring it with me. But other than picture taking, it stays on the belt.

Well, other than one time recently, in the single rider queue at Radiator Springs Racers. I had a 50 minute wait in front of me, so I pulled out the phone and used the Kindle on it to do some quality reading. I really had a good time in that queue, and it seemed to go by really fast. So yeah, sometimes tech can be fun. But overall I think it's much better to put it away and just enjoy where you are!

Does it work well? It is slow? Wrigley Field has free AT&T wireless, but it sucks

• Pilot EdForceOne

speeds in the park are fast right now - but unknown if they are built out to sustain it. Speedtests were has high as 9megabit down. There is no word from Disney at this point for the targeted speed to support under load.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I think this is a great idea especially since there are now Disney Aps that can help you navigate the park. I for one will be using this service when I arrive at the Magic Kingdom in December!
    Jeff Wayne

• Metro-Retro Historian

Hey, anyone remember when you could make dining reservations from inside of EPCOT on a touch screen in 1982? It's a lot harder to do that now, if it's even still possible at all. Just saying.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I really enjoyed walking up to the screen and booking my dining reservations for THAT DAY. I'm not wild about having to do it 180 days out, but at least they have a pretty good online system for doing it.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by DancinBelle View Post
    Well put. I agree completely. It's a shame that people don't know how to relax nowadays, or "get away from it all."
    I've found no real reason to connect with the outside world while in the theme parks. I have a cell phone with me (which IS great for keeping in touch with those I've separated from in the park), so those who are watching over things at home can call me if - and I can't stress this enough to them - and only if there is an EMERGENCY, like someone is hospitalized. Automatic bill pay is set up before I leave on vacation, so I don't have to worry about that.
    I know I sound like an old curmudgeon, but enough is enough. I don't think too many people would miss wi-fi in the Magic Kingdom if it was never installed in the first place. Of the many criticisms I've ever heard, "no wi-fi" is not one of them.

It's early here, so I'll stop rambling now.

• Metro-Retro Historian

To Do: Go on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin while watching Delta Dreamflight and If You Had Wings ride through videos on youtube.

Talking Re: Free Wifi now in Magic Kingdom Park

It sucks because it's AT&T....LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by iillini24 View Post
    Does it work well? It is slow? Wrigley Field has free AT&T wireless, but it sucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast