Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: DAK Boat Landings

Quote Originally Posted by erick13
    BTW waht is the name of the river if there even is one?
    I think it used to have a name, but I couldn't find it in the current Birnbaum.

• Banned User

Discovery River. Hence the name Discovery River Cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    It's not that they didn't "plus" the show. The entire ride was based upon the future arrival of BK. Once BK fell through (due mostly to cost), the riverboats no longer served a purpose. Personally, I think AK without the riverboats is much better than w/ the riverboats.
    What a shock. I think I'm going to go have a heart attack over lack of shock.

FWIW, the boats were supposed to showcase Beastly Kingdom as well as other areas of the park. You were supposed to see AA dinos near Dinoland for instance. All the $$$ got pulled and what you were left with was just transport. Folks didn't get it.

Disney painted them garishly, ruining the wonderful theming that cost lots of $$$, and called them the Radio Disney Cruise (the worst attraction I have ever experienced at WDW).

Joe Rohde wants them back in their original form, so who knows ... they may be back some day.

Then again, look at the Rivers of America at the MK ... Disney likes to take away watercraft for some reason.

The reason the Discovery Boats closed was because they were too large to navigate the waterways (a design problem on a very large scale). The cast members could not navigate through the tight spaces, and boats would come to a complete stop waiting for boats ahead of them to dock. The build up of boats was absurd. This made for a very unpleasant guest experience and resulted in the long lines people have mentioned.

During preview days the Operations Managers tried pulling boats off the water, but this didnít help. The line stayed long and the experience poor.

The Radio Disney Cruise (a recorded audio spiel) was an attempt to convince people it was an attraction and not transportation. It would give them something to listen to during those extended docking experiences. That didnít work either.

At least one of the boats is still at DAK and is used to cruise the band around the lake in front of Everest.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I never got to ride on this, but as I recall it was discontinued due to massive complaints that there was very little to see. People were expecting a Jungle Cruise adventure, and instead got a nice quiet boat ride with one AA dinosaur. It's kinda like Superstar Limo - the park was better off with the attraction closed.
    Yeah, especially since it was one-way trip, so you'd be on one end with your family and your stoller would be... that's right, across the pond!

I rode this twice. Both times I did wait in a long line and both times we did a full circle. It definitely wasn't a great RIDE. However, what I did like, was that you got some very interesting up close views of the TREE LIFE and the banks of the "river". I remember in particular gettng a very good look at ASIA and the monkeys. But I was able to get some really nice video and pictures from the boats. I hope they bring them back, I'd love that view again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12