Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DAK Boat Landings

Hi All,
    I recently returned from WDW and while visiting DAK I noticed boat landings in both the Africa and Asia areas of the park. Was there once a boat ride, or plans for a boat ride that circled Discovery Island ala the trains in MK?

I know the Africa one is used as a character meet and greet area. The Asia one is a seating area. I am guessing there are/were more stops that I probably failed to notice.

Thanks for the help.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Re: DAK Boat Landings

I think there was a ride type thing there once pretty soon after it opened. I think part of it had a cave that a dragon was supposedly in, which would explain the dragon in the original park logo. At least, that's how I remember things. If I am mistaken, my apologies because I never got to personally experience what once was there.

That is correct.

The Discovery Boats, later Radio Disney Cruises we discontinued long ago!

Sad to see this gone....
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I never got to ride on this, but as I recall it was discontinued due to massive complaints that there was very little to see. People were expecting a Jungle Cruise adventure, and instead got a nice quiet boat ride with one AA dinosaur. It's kinda like Superstar Limo - the park was better off with the attraction closed.

• Minion

ORWEN: Yes, the boats used to be nice and relaxing to ride around on! Us Cauldron girls sure enjoyed them, anyway. But we were told that--one of the reasons for them being taken out of service--was because the lines to ride them were too long and then guests would complain because they only got to ride half way around the river before they had to get off. They were supposedly upset, too, at the lack of things to see along the way. And the dragon that used to blow smoke never worked right and Management was too cheap to maintain it. I guess you could say it was decided the boat ride was more trouble than it was worth.

ORDDU: Yet--over in Hong Kong Disneyland--they have a Jungle Cruise up and running that is very similar to what Animal Kingdom's boat ride used to be. Let's hope the management over there doesn't decide it's not worth maintaining their dragon's ability to blow fire and smoke on a daily basis!

• Disney Memory Maker

The original Discovery Riverboats' (which opened with the park) main purpose was to hint at the upcoming Phase II Beastlie Kingdomme. Long story short, BK never happened & DR wasn't all that exciting. In November of 1998, the boats were renamed to Discovery River Taxi's (changing it's focus to mere transportation). Still, it was quite a boring 'attraction.' In 1999, the boats were again renamed to Radio Disney River Cruise. Instead of a person talking, you heard 2 of Radio Disney's DJ's talk (who were supposedly 'broadcasting' from somewhere in AK). This rename struck the death knell for these boats (CMs were even discouraging people without children from coming on).

Currently, the docks are being used for character meets & you can see the boat occasionally floating in AK with an african band on it.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

The boats were the first thing we ever did at DAK. We waited about 40 minutes for a boring boat ride that went nowhere. Needless to say, our first experience with DAK was not a good one at all.

If they had used smaller, faster boats for transportation to Asia, it might have worked. But I think they were doomed from the start.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Too bad they didn't plus the show, that's what Walt would have (might have) done. OK I'm not hypothesizing about what Walt would do but this seems pretty straightforward Walt-think.

• Disney Memory Maker

It's not that they didn't "plus" the show. The entire ride was based upon the future arrival of BK. Once BK fell through (due mostly to cost), the riverboats no longer served a purpose. Personally, I think AK without the riverboats is much better than w/ the riverboats.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Beastly Kingdom would have been a great plus to the Discovery boat show!

• Banned User

A couple of the boats are still out and in operation in peak periods... so it's still posible to ride them. They've just been moved and converted into Magic Kingdom Area Water Transportation.

• Former CM

BTW waht is the name of the river if there even is one?

Thanks for the info. I noticed a fair number of relic structures around the resort, but that was the only one that I couldn't figure out.

• e komo mai

The boat ride at DAK was really, really lame. And, it's true, the lines were very long and in the summer was very hot. They had these huge fans that blew hot air at you which made it worse.
    The CM driving the boat would tell you about upcoming events and promote things like the 'Tarzan Rocks' show and that's about it. He would hint every now and then about the dragon and eventually we got to a cave that fire and smoke poured out of. Then he said something like, 'Yup, we found the dragon at long last. It's in the cave. We can't actually see the dragon from here.' Bleh.
    The one cool thing they did have on the banks of the river was a rock formation (with a waterfall in it) that looked like a dragon. I think it still might be visible from a bridge somewhere...

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yeah they were not too exciting. Part of the problem was that with so little to ride in the park the boats were not just cool hop on and hop off transportation like the WDW Railroad. Also, once you waited and hour to either see the Cave with Fire or the AA Iguanadon you HAD to get off at the next stop making it even more like a ride than a transportation system. And after waiting an hour for a ride with only one thing to see it was rather upsetting.
    I think at one point they tried to make it a full circle ride (during radio Disney) but I can imagine that that helped complaints.

It's too bad the train didn't get built in a better place. It would be a cool transportation system instead of a ride (which you have to get off of and run outside and hop under the ropes to get back on before it leaves again) with a pause in the middle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast