Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Heavy Breather

Re: Kathy Mangum has new post at WDW: something big on the horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Where has WDW copied the successes of DL? It seems to me like DL has been cloning the successful attractions from WDW.
    Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, almost all of the original Fantasyland, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room. Just to name a few.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think most recently it was Toy Story Midway Mania and Star Tours that.... while they opened first in Florida, they were conceived for the Disneyland Resort.
    Don't kid yourself with Star Tours. You honestly think they planned to completely redo just Disneyland's when it would transfer almost directly to WDW's? They were developed in tandem.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Don't kid yourself with Star Tours. You honestly think they planned to completely redo just Disneyland's when it would transfer almost directly to WDW's? They were developed in tandem.
    Yes, Star Tours II was originally planned for Disneyland in CA and TDA paid for all the R&D. The queue and random combinations were specifically designed for Disneyland's AP-heavy attendance.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I have no problem with them cloning simple classics that can be built anywhere and still fit the general area (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Star Tours, The Little Mermaid, Tower of Terror). But Carsland I find way too big a concept to be duplicated anywhere other than where it was originally built for. There's nothing wrong with WDW getting much of DL's favorites but the idea of cloning a whole unique concept land like Carsland would be the ultimate overkill. I'm not a fan of Universal's plans to clone WWoHP in California and Japan for the same reasons.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I have no problem with them cloning simple classics that can be built anywhere and still fit the general area (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Star Tours, The Little Mermaid, Tower of Terror). But Carsland I find way too big a concept to be duplicated anywhere other than where it was originally built for. There's nothing wrong with WDW getting much of DL's favorites but the idea of cloning a whole unique concept land like Carsland would be the ultimate overkill. I'm not a fan of Universal's plans to clone WWoHP in California and Japan for the same reasons.
    Agreed.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post

If I want to believe the rumors, Star Tours was apparently forced upon Orlando's management. I seriously hope that wasn't the case but I have yet to hear anyone crushing that rumor.

Re: Midway Mania, the Imagineers themselves designed that ride for the full intent that it was going in DCA. But of course it's way more inexpensive to make double orders and to clone rides so off it went to Florida as well. The reason it opened first, DHS had an easier location to build. In DCA, they had to work around a working roller coaster with a more lavish exterior.

I'm not here for bragging rights, just stating what has trickled down the grapevine. I for one don't blame Magic Kingdom for many of the older cloned attractions from Disneyland. It was a necessity to do so back then. And it certainly goes both ways.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Metro-Retro Historian

It's pretty sad that I've been so beaten down by Disney PR that whenever I read something titled "Big News" my first thought is that it's a new vinylmation or something equally not worthy of big news. The title of this thread did have the word "horizon" in it though. That always makes me excited for a couple seconds.

The success of carsland can be taken 2 ways.
    1. If you spend a lot of money on something you can make it truly awesome the first time and not have to worry about spending money again refreshing it in a few years.
    2. Lands based on film franchises really are what people want.
    I'm hoping they're smart enough to recognize the first one, but the track record shows they'll probably go with #2.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Suspended

As a East Coaster, I do not want to see Cars Land coming to DHS. The reason I feel this way is because the ride has nothing to do with the theme of the park.

I find it interesting how so many Californians hate the thought of Cars Land being cloned to Florida but are so excited to have Harry Potter cloned to USH.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    As a East Coaster, I do not want to see Cars Land coming to DHS. The reason I feel this way is because the ride has nothing to do with the theme of the park.

I find it interesting how so many Californians hate the thought of Cars Land being cloned to Florida but are so excited to have Harry Potter cloned to USH.

Apples and oranges, my friend. Harry Potter is something much, much bigger than Cars. And it's not something we "WANTED" to come to USH. But they made the announcement and it's hard not to be excited about it.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Apples and oranges, my friend. Harry Potter is something much, much bigger than Cars. And it's not something we "WANTED" to come to USH. But they made the announcement and it's hard not to be excited about it.
    Unless it was just HPatFJ with a gift shop attached, I still think that cloning the entire WWoHP is still a bad idea. I mean USO is rolling in the big bucks in tourism because of Harry Potter. Wouldn't they lose that tourism bunch with every cloning they do of the land?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Personally I wouldn't feel like Carsland would fit into DHS (Route 66 is sort of more of a California thing yes?) but I also feel that the Disney Company wouldn't do that anyway. I think when it comes to making big ticket rides and attractions they want them to be unique to certain parks and in some cases they'd like them to be shared. I mean, all the Disney parks around the world have similar things to unite them and then on the other hand they have differences so people will want to travel and see them all. It's no fun going to Disneyland and Walt Disney World and knowing they're identical. It's fun to see the differences! Being someone who grew up on both coasts I love both parks equally and think that they each deserve the best.

---------- Post added 08-13-2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

Also in regards to WWoHP I live in California and had plenty of friends visit the Florida one. Location wasn't really an issue for anyone, though it is nice to see it coming here I know it also will probably never compare to the Florida one. I think the only WWoHP that could top all the other would be a European one simply because of the environment there.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Unless it was just HPatFJ with a gift shop attached, I still think that cloning the entire WWoHP is still a bad idea. I mean USO is rolling in the big bucks in tourism because of Harry Potter. Wouldn't they lose that tourism bunch with every cloning they do of the land?

That all depends. I think the die-hards from the West Coast that wanted to see it in Florida already have. When USH opens it in, those same die-hards will most likely go there too. Either way, USH has never had better business than it does right now. They're doing quite well and they're perched to continue that trend.

And I agree about Cars Land... it should remain unique to DCA in the same way that Mysterious Island should be a signature land in Tokyo Disney Sea.

• WDW will always be home.

And I agree about Cars Land... it should remain unique to DCA in the same way that Mysterious Island should be a signature land in Tokyo Disney Sea.
    Off topic, but honestly... With the exception of Lost River Delta, what part of TDS isn't signature?
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Off topic, but honestly... With the exception of Lost River Delta, what part of TDS isn't signature?

Hehe that's true. And that's the beauty of Tokyo. If Walt Disney World wants the title of Most Visited Resort in the World, it oughtta deserve it by having the most impressive line-up of attractions and lands around.

Currently, it doesn't. Let's hope that Kathy Mangum's experience at Disneyland can elevate WDW into something else.

• Banned User

Star Tours also I am guessing was designed for both coasts. Why would they only give DL the updated version. This is also another attraction that was designed at the same time so there is no original and no clone.
    Originally, TDO declined; they actually wanted to keep the original, with its standard 10 minute wait times! A jaw dropping, baffling decision, but thankfully, the head company forced them to come to their senses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12