Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Suspended

Re: After the Test Track redo

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Why are thrill rides the only things that can get big publicity? If that's the only thing their marketing department knows how to promote, they need to get a new marketing department.

Where is there any evidence of this? Are there any examples of a new E Ticket dark ride not drawing crowds? Those types of rides just aren't built anymore, but it's not because they aren't popular. Not everyone wants big thrills all the time, and those that do have Six Flags or any number of other roller coaster parks.
    First off, do not be rude.

Secondly, can you tell me any rides that have recently debuted without a character tie in or thrill ride on both coasts? Besides the Red Car Trolley, I cannot think of anything new that was not a character tie in or thrill ride.

Star Tours, Expedition Everest, Mission: SPACE, Test Track, Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid - all of these are character rides and thrill rides.

Maybe it is not the public, and not only TDO as you stated, but it is the WDC in general who does not have faith in building rides like POTC anymore.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Did the addition to Soarin' in Epcot help attendance? It's certainly a popular ride that I wouldn't call a thrill ride, and despite a brief appearance by a certain fairy, it's not character-based.

• Banned User

I've got another question: why does a monolithic, multi-billion dollar corporation like Disney even need corporate sponsors for their rides? Last time I checked, they were still raking in tons of $$$ from park tickets, food/souvenir sales, on-site hotels, etc.

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I've got another question: why does a monolithic, multi-billion dollar corporation like Disney even need corporate sponsors for their rides? Last time I checked, they were still raking in tons of $$$ from park tickets, food/souvenir sales, on-site hotels, etc.
    So they don't have to budget the upkeep for the attraction. When GE dropped thier Horizons sponsership in 93', it was closed. When World of Motion closed to become Test Track and Energy to become Ellen, they re-opened it for capacity issues, with little to no upkeep.

Because of lack of sponsership, Eric Idle still roams Imagination, Energy is uninteresting, and Nemo is lifesupport for the Living Seas.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    So they don't have to budget the upkeep for the attraction. When GE dropped thier Horizons sponsership in 93', it was closed. When World of Motion closed to become Test Track and Energy to become Ellen, they re-opened it for capacity issues, with little to no upkeep.

Because of lack of sponsership, Eric Idle still roams Imagination, Energy is uninteresting, and Nemo is lifesupport for the Living Seas.
    Sure, I can see why they would want a sponsor. My question was why do they NEED one. And obviously, the answer is that they don't. And when a sponsor doesn't step up, then sometimes Disney just decides to let their guests down. Is that acceptable?

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Secondly, can you tell me any rides that have recently debuted without a character tie in or thrill ride on both coasts? Besides the Red Car Trolley, I cannot think of anything new that was not a character tie in or thrill ride.

Star Tours, Expedition Everest, Mission: SPACE, Test Track, Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid - all of these are character rides and thrill rides.

Maybe it is not the public, and not only TDO as you stated, but it is the WDC in general who does not have faith in building rides like POTC anymore.
    That was pretty much my whole point. You can't really say that all people want are character and thrill rides when that is all they are given. Depending on your definition of what a thrill ride is the most recent one I can think of is Soarin'. If that's too thrilling I guess you have to go back to um... Kilimanjaro Safari?

I don't think the problem is a lack of faith in original dark rides, though that may be part of it when it comes to the character aspect. I think the bigger turn off is that those types of rides are very expensive to build and maintain. A lot more expensive than a dressed up roller coaster. The fact that Disney used to emphasize dark rides instead of joining the thrill ride arms race every other park was engaged in was what set them apart from the competition. Other parks just couldn't afford to create anything on that level and it looks like now Disney can't either.

Sure, I can see why they would want a sponsor. My question was why do they NEED one. And obviously, the answer is that they don't. And when a sponsor doesn't step up, then sometimes Disney just decides to let their guests down. Is that acceptable?
    The other big question is what does the sponsor get from them? Sure they get their logo plastered all over a pavilion that's seen by millions of people a year and possibly a memorable ride that's vaguely associated with their product, but is that really a better investment than a few internet and TV ads? Disney used to have a reputation of being a trustworthy and friendly company. This was primarily because they used to put out very high quality products and is a company that started out making cartoons. What if in addition to being able to advertise their stuff in an Epcot pavilion, sponsors also get Disney to help advertise their products? It seems to work for Snoopy and MET life. Why can't it work for Chevy and Donald Duck?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Disney is a multi-billion dollar company, yes, but if you look at all the assets the company has right now, it takes billions to run them. Sponsors pay Disney money for the advertisement and in return the attractions have proper funding for refurbishments (or at least they are supposed to). A lot of money doesn't go far when you're a big company. It's not like they have money just to throw everywhere.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Disney is a multi-billion dollar company, yes, but if you look at all the assets the company has right now, it takes billions to run them. Sponsors pay Disney money for the advertisement and in return the attractions have proper funding for refurbishments (or at least they are supposed to). A lot of money doesn't go far when you're a big company. It's not like they have money just to throw everywhere.
    That's funny, because whenever they decide to buy up a rival which stole their thunder by being more creative (Pixar, Marvel), suddenly they have billions to throw around at the drop of a hat.

Don't believe it when they plead poverty; that's an excuse for slashing budgets. This is a company that earns billions. This is a company that builds cruise ships, new hotels, and new theme parks all over the world (Shanghai is just the latest).

They're not earning enough at WDW to pay for upkeep? Then why build and expand all over the place? If the parks weren't paying for themselves, why add to their losses by building more?

• WDW will always be home.

That's funny, because whenever they decide to buy up a rival which stole their thunder by being more creative (Pixar, Marvel), suddenly they have billions to throw around at the drop of a hat.

Don't believe it when they plead poverty; that's an excuse for slashing budgets. This is a company that earns billions. This is a company that builds cruise ships, new hotels, and new theme parks all over the world (Shanghai is just the latest).

They're not earning enough at WDW to pay for upkeep? Then why build and expand all over the place? If the parks weren't paying for themselves, why add to their losses by building more?
    Because if they reinvested in WDW, they wouldn't be able to use it as an ATM for the rest of company!
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12