Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Is WDW finished leeching off of DL's 50th?

Just wondering if WDW has given up on advertising DL's 50th?

Saw a new commercial on tv the last couple of days saying
    "be a hero . . . take your family to WDW"

no 50th logo, no video of Walt opening DL!

• Banned User

Re: Is WDW finished leeching off of DL's 50th?

Maybe they'll make a video of Walt opening Disney World. Then we can all riot and kill Disney marketing.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Maybe they'll make a video of Walt opening Disney World. Then we can all riot and kill Disney marketing.
    That just about made me spit my morning tea.

• On the Highway in the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Correct me if I am wrong here (and I may be as I have not seen the WDW 50th commercial for a bit), but my recollection is that the image is of Walt giving his dedication and Cinderella castle (with the "Magic Mirror") is in the background. So, in essence, they DID do that.......

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Why is there always so much WDW bashing? I just don't get it.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Post Re: Is WDW finished leeching off of DL's 50th?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess
    Why is there always so much WDW bashing? I just don't get it.
    Because you stole our celebration and Got more than Us (Disneyland)

• Vehicle rotating backward

Each park got only one thing, and the biggest and best of those things is a large, outdoor ampitheater running a show that only happens in the daytime.

And last I checked, since the 50th started Disneyland is packed full day after day after day like it hasn't seen in years. "Stole our celebration," indeed.

• Rock Star Minion

Saw the "Walt doing DL Dedication in WDW" during the Rose Bowl yesterday.
    Big "50" at the top of the ending.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't think anyone intends to come across as though they're bashing Walt Disney World--while defending Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. The real intent is to bash the Disney Marketing Machine--which goes out of its way to confuse the general public, due to greed and a lack of loyalty to the original park.

• On the Highway in the Sky

I agree completely - no WDW bashing. It's my favorite place in the world - only been to DL once. Loved it, but grew up on WDW and I like no place better. It IS very unstable to morph in a B&W WDW castle and make it look like Walt was dedicating the park. That was my point and I think that the marketing machine made a bad call on that one.

You wonder...what is going to happen when Wal Disney World turns 50. Will it have Roy Disney dedicating WDW in front of Disneyland's castle. I see no problem in saying for the honor of Disneyland's 50th or something, it just irks me that it wasn't how it happened. It would be one thing if it was the whole shot with Walt Disney in front of Disneyland and it fades to Disney World...

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    You wonder...what is going to happen when Wal Disney World turns 50. Will it have Roy Disney dedicating WDW in front of Disneyland's castle. I see no problem in saying for the honor of Disneyland's 50th or something, it just irks me that it wasn't how it happened. It would be one thing if it was the whole shot with Walt Disney in front of Disneyland and it fades to Disney World...
    That wasn't how it happened b/c most Americans aren't especially bright and they would have been confused by saying anything like that. They even tried saying "50 years of theme park magic," which is accurate, and people were apparently confused (I am guessing this is what the marketing people are saying to try and explain the lack of 50th merchandise sales at WDW). So, now they are just pretending there was never a celebration and flaunting the (IMHO) more important Magic Your Way packages. Cinderellabration probably won't attract any extra northerners in the winter months, but taking your family there for a week for $1500 will.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

The marketing is very, very poorly constructed. That commercial with Walt dedicating DL in front of Cinderella Castle is beyond misleading ... the same with giant 50s everywhere. What's worse is having 100 Years of Magic in 2001-02 and now this. What are they going to call it when WDW turns 40 or 50?

Even the 'reach' of saying the celebration is for 50 years of Disney theme parks is disingenous at best. Walt opened DL 50 years ago. One. One alone. One that stayed as one until 1971, five years after his death. He didn't start a chain of theme parks in '55. There was only one theme park for 16 years. So at best there should be a giant 34 over the MK castle.

But that's what WDW has become. Marketing the magic instead of creating real magic.

And most WDW guests don't have a clue. They assume it's WDW's 50th as crazy as that sounds to people like us.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The marketing is very, very poorly constructed. That commercial with Walt dedicating DL in front of Cinderella Castle is beyond misleading ... the same with giant 50s everywhere. What's worse is having 100 Years of Magic in 2001-02 and now this. What are they going to call it when WDW turns 40 or 50?

Even the 'reach' of saying the celebration is for 50 years of Disney theme parks is disingenous at best. Walt opened DL 50 years ago. One. One alone. One that stayed as one until 1971, five years after his death. He didn't start a chain of theme parks in '55. There was only one theme park for 16 years. So at best there should be a giant 34 over the MK castle.

But that's what WDW has become. Marketing the magic instead of creating real magic.

And most WDW guests don't have a clue. They assume it's WDW's 50th as crazy as that sounds to people like us.
    Is that a problem, though? I don't think it really is. There are a lot of things that the average person believes that isn't true (e.g. if you go outside without a coat in January you will somehow catch a cold). Let people believe it. I feel like Disney tried being honest about this celebration (in the very beginning), but most people didn't get it. This is certainly not the first time someone has gone on TV and over-simplified something to help the average person understand what is going on, even if it isn't quite the truth. As long as the people smart enough to know the truth actually know it, who cares? And anyone smart enough to know the truth about this probably has the capability of doing a little internet research (it would take all of 30 seconds to discover the truth). Disney is being misleading...there are far more misleading things that I see in the news every day relating to things far more important than WDW's marketing strategy. And since when has the aim of marketing ever been to sell the whole truth? Try taking your family of four to Disney World on only $1500...you won't eat. Try getting that Dell pc for $250.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

^^^I agree. But the fact that marketers lie all the time doesn't make it right for Disney to misrepresent things in a way to create a 'buzz' for people to visit ... they have added new attractions. They could have simply marketed them. Soarin can stand on its own. LMA can too. Everest? I'm quite sure ...taking advantage of the public's ignorance may be fine if you're WalMart.

But I expect a hell of a lot better from the Walt Disney Company!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast