Help me Vacation plan!

Long time DL vet going to WDW with 5 and 7 year old and sorta D loving wife. Been ONCE to WDW about a decade ago. Stayed at Riverside. Liked it a lot. Wife will assuredly ask to go back to KSC since she is a NASA nut. Not sure the kids will get that much out of it - ("oooh...big rocket" but I also believe that a happy wife makes for a happy life). I _MIGHT_ want to go over to potter-land.

Wife teaches so we are looking at EITHER Presidents week in February or Spring Break (in our district the week before Easter in 2013). Crowds will, of course, be horrible.

For those with kids in our age you know that many a best vacation is had by simply sticking them in the pool, you in the shade, and a drink in one hand and a kindle in the other. Our family is no different ;-)

So here are the questions.....

A) Since both weeks will be VERY busy if you had to choose one over the other what would you do?

B) Would you stay on site? I think the answer has to be yes but I am interested in any other options people have found for more affordable (Riverside works out to around $1900 for the week) which have just as good/better kid pools. One issue having been their over spring break a decade ago is that the attractiveness of the bus system for coming back for a break in the PM starts to fade when 3 buses pass you in a row because they are full up.

C) I just can't see upgrading to a delux but if it is going to be busy do you see an advantage to that? I don't think my kids will get anything out of Stormalong Bay and we do plan on doing at least 1 if not 1.5-2 over at the waterparks. Plus the cost difference is, well, significant (rough math - pushing $400 a night).

• Suspended

Re: Help me Vacation plan!

Just a suggestion here. The WDW Swan and Dolphin hotels do not cost that much more than staying in a Disney Moderate. The advantage here is that there is boat service, bus service and walking distance to DHS and Epcot. It is on Disney property, gets all the benefits of Disney resort hotels, located in the center of WDW, is themed, and is cheaper than a WDW deluxe with the same amenities.

In Feb it will not be as hot and IDK how that will affect the water parks. IDK about crowds.

• Minion

If it was me, I'd pick Presidents' Week, Even if crowds are comparable, the weather would be cooler.

The main advantage I see in a Deluxe (other than AKL) is proximity to the parks and monorail. You may want to investigate renting DVC points; when I priced it for my travel dates, a standard studio at Bay Lake Tower (Contemporary Resort) cost the same as the same dates at Port Orleans Riverside. I ended up booking Pop Century because I couldn't afford either, but if I'd had the cash I'd probably have gone with BLT over POR. Walking distance to the Magic Kingdom!

President's week is much much better in terms of weather and the crowds. Spring Break is really bad crowd-wise.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegomousefan View Post
    Long time DL vet going to WDW with 5 and 7 year old and sorta D loving wife. Been ONCE to WDW about a decade ago. Stayed at Riverside. Liked it a lot. Wife will assuredly ask to go back to KSC since she is a NASA nut. Not sure the kids will get that much out of it - ("oooh...big rocket" but I also believe that a happy wife makes for a happy life). I _MIGHT_ want to go over to potter-land.

Wife teaches so we are looking at EITHER Presidents week in February or Spring Break (in our district the week before Easter in 2013). Crowds will, of course, be horrible.

For those with kids in our age you know that many a best vacation is had by simply sticking them in the pool, you in the shade, and a drink in one hand and a kindle in the other. Our family is no different ;-)

So here are the questions.....

A) Since both weeks will be VERY busy if you had to choose one over the other what would you do?

B) Would you stay on site? I think the answer has to be yes but I am interested in any other options people have found for more affordable (Riverside works out to around $1900 for the week) which have just as good/better kid pools. One issue having been their over spring break a decade ago is that the attractiveness of the bus system for coming back for a break in the PM starts to fade when 3 buses pass you in a row because they are full up.

C) I just can't see upgrading to a delux but if it is going to be busy do you see an advantage to that? I don't think my kids will get anything out of Stormalong Bay and we do plan on doing at least 1 if not 1.5-2 over at the waterparks. Plus the cost difference is, well, significant (rough math - pushing $400 a night).
    First you need to make a decision on where you will be going during your stay and how much time you expect to stay at WDW. IF you are planning on a day at NASA, a day at Potter Town, and maybe a day doing other random stuff outside WDW, then I couldn't see the point in paying Disney premium prices for a hotel during those days when you aren't going to be doing Disney.

In my experience of extended trips when we were only going to be outside Disney for several days we found it made more sense to stay offsite during those days and to lump them all at the front or back end of the trip. Then switch hotels for a Disney one during the stay at Disney.

If you go that route it is easier to swallow a 400 dollar a night hotel for 4 nights in stead of the whole week... if you do go for the deluxe, I would suggest the Contemporary... when the monorail makes the loop it is usually empty in the mornings when you are going to the park so it is easy to get on... and in the event it is very crowded you can walk to MK,not somthing you can do at the others. Also when you leave MK for the day Contemporary is the first stop and when everyone is tired that counts for something.... it also has the largest rooms so comfort is greater.

• WDW will always be home.

President's week is definitely preferable to Spring Break in terms of crowds. President's week will be a little cooler - neither should be scorching. Spring Break will probably have slightly better weather for the water parks; President's week will probably have preferable weather for everything else.

I personally prefer to stay on site, but that is a very personal decision based on your priorities. No question, you can save a ton of money by staying off site, but I prefer to be "surrounded by Disney" on my vacation and I'm willing to pay the extra cost for that privilege. There are obviously other factors to consider as well - do you want to rent a car or rely on Disney transport? Do you want the meal plan? Those are really questions that only you can answer.

I think your concerns regarding bus transport are legit, but I've found that you can find some really good deals on rental cars in Orlando if you shop around.

I also think that Wizarding World of Harry Potter is definitely worth a visit - especially if any of your party are Potter fans. That really is the best themed attraction in Orlando right now, and the rest of IoA is probably comparable to DHS. I don't think you'll regret making room in your schedule/budget for a visit there.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

You might also want to price out getting an annual pass, even if you're only going to be visiting just the one week. Discounted lodging rates for AP holders can really add up. Plus, for an extra $75, you can get the Tables in Wonderland card, which gives you 20% off of all table service meals and even some quick service meals, INCLUDING ALCOHOL! You can more than make up the cost of the card in just one week. And only one of you needs to have an AP to get the discount on room rates.

These are ALL solid suggestions and advice. Something other mousefans might want to know - the Wyndam at Bonnet Creek is having an AMAZING Triple A rate during President's Week. We save nearly $1000 over Riverside for a MUCH bigger room and what, from reviews, sounds like a great property. It will make up for the insult of tearing out a perfectly good golf course ;-)

Crowds in December

I am planning a tri9 to Disney next December. We want to come when Disney is decorated for Christmas. Have to plan it around our college and work schedules so we are looking from December 12th through December 22,2013. Could you tell me how crowded it is at that time? As crowded as it was the week after Cristmas into the New Years? Very disappointed last time cause we wanted to s9end New Years Eve at Magic Kingdom, but when we tried to get on bus to go to Park, they wouldn't let us on and said that they were given orders not to transport anymore to park because of crowd. Paid lots of money and couldn't enjoy and do what we had planned! Just want to go to Mickeys xmas party, see Epcots Christmas musical and have a fun time! Thanks

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Definitely not nearly as crowded as the week after Christmas. You should be able to book Mickey's party and a showing of the Candlelight Processional in Epcot. Book NOW!!!