Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Moderate Resort Opinions

I am currently trying to decide between the Moderate Resorts at WDW.

Coronado Springs
    Carribean Beach Club
    Port Orleans (French Quarter or Riverside)

I will be traveling Oct. 2006

Thanks for any opinions or recommendations!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Moderate Resort Opinions

Well, what do you want from your hotel?

How important is a room slightly larger than average to you?
    How important is on-site table service dining (with a waiter and everything, not just a food court) to you?
    Do you have any inherent preferences regarding the themes of these resorts? (for instance, since you live in the real southwest, maybe the Spanish theming of Coronado Springs seems dull?)

The room is just a place to lay my head, we have access to all dining on property so I really don't care about that, I guess my main concern would be ease of transportation.

And obviously a clean well run place.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• On the Highway in the Sky

My last trip to WDW was at Dixie....oops, I mean Port Orleans Riverside. The hotel proper was as great as always. My room, however, was a bit unkempt. The floors were dirty and the room was dusty when we checked in. It took two days and three calls to housekeeping to get it shaped up. That said - afterward it was fine. The atmosphere at the hotel is GREAT! The landscaping and activities there, while not Deluxe caliber, are just dandy. The transportation was a bit sketchy at times as the buses are not as frequent as I think they out to be (one time we had two straight buses going to MK not take on passengers at the stop because they were full). That is what you will have to deal with on occasion at any of the moderate resorts. That said, it is not bad and from what I have read, upgrades to the bus service are on the way. May not help but that's my two cents.

I can't speak from experience but I researched like a demon for a few days and I'd reccomend Coronado Springs then. It's where I wanted to stay at first until I decided that the theme was a little too close to home. If you don't care, though, then do it.

Disney's housekeepers leave a lot to be desired. These days I almost always expect to find something dirty or disgusting and they don't seem to let me down.

But most of their clientele trashes the rooms to begin with and most of the others only cares about whether they get towel animals or their plush holding the TV remote.

Sad, but true.

Lesson: don't accept a room that isn't clean. Spend 5 minutes checking it over before you drag your luggage in and start unpacking. If anything bothers you, get another room.

FWIW, the problems are at Disney's deluxe resorts as well.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

To actually help you answer the question (i.e. differentiate between the resorts), I have stayed at all of the moderates.

Caribbean Beach Resort is awesome. It has the largest rooms of the moderates (I believe they are about 15% larger than the other moderates), but the drawback here is transportation, since the many stops at the sprawling (beautiful) resort can slow you down.

Port Orleans--Riverside is also very nice, but the size of the resort also impedes your travel there, though not to the extent of Caribbean Beach. I think Alligator Bayou is a great area to stay in, but this is a really nice resort regardless.

Port Orleans--French Quarter overcomes the transportation problems of the former two resorts, since it only has one stop so you won't get so slowed down (though it often shares buses with Riverside).

Coronado Springs is really nice, though its size makes transportation sometimes a bit slow. My only complaint about the resort, though, is the ridiculous food court where you have to wait in line for a seat and have to pay a 10% gratuity on every order, which kind of destroys the point of eating at a food court. If you are okay with that, I would recommend Coronado--it has the fewest stops on any of the loops (assuming French Quarter is sharing buses with Riverside), and I think it's a very nice looking resort. It also has a nice location that allows quick rides to Animal Kingdom, MGM, and Epcot (not MK, but what else is new?). The runner up would be French Quarter, but Coronado has a better pool...

Some people clearly like to complain a lot. I have never had a problem with the housekeeping staff at a Disney resort. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I don't inspect the carpet with a microscope or a blacklight.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Former CM

I personally like POFQ and Coronado. Both are nice and I think you can't go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Some people clearly like to complain a lot. I have never had a problem with the housekeeping staff at a Disney resort. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I don't inspect the carpet with a microscope or a blacklight.
    No, Kyle, some people have years of travel experience. They have stayed at EVERY WDW resort (some many, many times). They have also stayed at many motels, hotels, timeshares and resorts all over the world.

In other words, they have experience.

I know WDW's housekeeping isn't what it should be, and that often times most rooms are made to look clean rather than be clean. Sadly, that's good enough for most guests.

I have had everything imaginable wrong with my rooms in the past (at Disney and at other places), sometimes it is just carpeting that isn't as clean as it should be or dust on the TV. Other times it's been blood and bodily fluids on the sheets and other places ... not cool ... and a potentially dangerous situation, a toilet that is dirty or doesn't work or mold all over the AC.

I'm glad you have had only clean rooms. That was my case at WDW from the mid-70s into the early 90s. It isn't the case any more.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    No, Kyle, some people have years of travel experience. They have stayed at EVERY WDW resort (some many, many times). They have also stayed at many motels, hotels, timeshares and resorts all over the world.

In other words, they have experience.

I know WDW's housekeeping isn't what it should be, and that often times most rooms are made to look clean rather than be clean. Sadly, that's good enough for most guests.

I have had everything imaginable wrong with my rooms in the past (at Disney and at other places), sometimes it is just carpeting that isn't as clean as it should be or dust on the TV. Other times it's been blood and bodily fluids on the sheets and other places ... not cool ... and a potentially dangerous situation, a toilet that is dirty or doesn't work or mold all over the AC.

I'm glad you have had only clean rooms. That was my case at WDW from the mid-70s into the early 90s. It isn't the case any more.
    well I'm sorry you've had bodily fluids in your room...I am fairly certain those are isolated events that have never happened to me in the years that I've been going to WDW (since I was 5, and I have stayed at most of the resorts since then--not all), and I'm sure they rectified the situation. Again, I must just be lucky, but I don't think this discussion helps the original poster, anyway, since, as you pointed out, none of the resorts have perfect housekeeping, so it isn't a basis for any differential between the moderate resorts.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

^^^True, but it's fun nonetheless. And all of the mods are fine choices.
    It really depends on what theme the poster prefers and if they want a large spread out resort (all of them except FQ) or a smaller, intimate one (FQ, which would be my choice).

And, FWIW, I've found FQ to consistently have the highest level of cleanliness and upkeep ... the worst? Caribbean

Something I forgot to mention was how much I had read that Coronado has CMs with golf carts helping Guests get around the resort, so chances are unless it's really late or something you won't have to do too much walking on the hotel territory. I really liked that courtesy.

If Caribbean had that I would have picked it without hesitation because of the bigger room. But it didn't and Coronado's theme didn't turn me on so I settled for third place winner FQ (not a fan of sharing buses with another, even larger hotel but whatever, I consider it the trade-off of not being able to afford Deluxe.)

As for fluids in hotel rooms this reminds me of a local story. THEhotel, a semi-seperate wing of Mandalay Bay is supposed to be one of the top hotels in this city and I stayed there last month, the rooms are like pre-furnished NYC luxury apartments. Anyway, coffee spill on the floor, dried old brownish stain on one of the sheets of one bed, mysterious small red splatch on one of the walls. If I was paying, I probably would have complained, but the room was comped and I'm not a high enough roller to be particularly picky, especially when I live only 25 minutes away.

So, just goes to show, this sort of thing doesn't only happen at WDW. That may smack of being an apologist but so it is.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I've hit all those and I have to say it depends on what you are in the mood for.
    If you want a nice big hotel to maybe take a break to in the afternoon go to the Caribbean. It is one of my all time favorite WDW resorts (staying again this month) there are plenty of things to do/see (though the Parrots are gone ) so that one works great.
    It is large though and it is quite possible to be far from places like bus stops or food courts, keep that in mind.

The Port Orleans (the real one none of this Riverside or French Quarter crap...) is a great hotel themed like the French Quarter of New Orleans. It is very small, very peaceful, and very well themed (more so than the Caribbean). It's food court and bus stops are very centrally located, nothing is a long walk, the boat ride to DtD is great and walking along the river is beautiful and peaceful. The food court also tries to offer some "local" food...the Jambalaya is great. And at Mardi Gras they have a cajun buffet (or the used to).
    However being smaller scale at times the food court can get packed and there is just one pool (unlike the Caribbean's 7) so keep that in mind.

The Coronado. This one is very nicely, and very beautifully themed. It is large though, so again you could be far from a poll or a bus stop or the food court. This hotel has a convention center though, so the food court is screwed up. To sit there is a 6% sitting tax added onto your meal for your "server" (they show you where to sit and might bring you napkins) but it is still just a food court. Around dinner time they try to do a more varied dinner selection with more than just your standard fare but it's still 6% extra or walk the food back to the room.
    So if you like to eat in the hotel allot you might not want this one. If you're going to eat all meals in the parks then that won't matter.

Personally I'd choose the Caribbean or Port Orleans (French Quarter). As for which of the two to choose...well decide if you want a big place or small place. For me I always just follow my mood.

• Former CM

A couple of things to remember about the Coronado. There is a 10% surcharge for the food court as stated above not 6%. If you have the dining plan or you're not eating there then it doesn't matter. Also the Coronado does have the convention center so that is why it is so big, but when you get on a bus there aren't too many people getting on since most everyone staying there are there for a convention. If you come in early (like from a red eye) you may not be able to get a room right away compared to the other mod's (I've been able to get a room around 7-8am there). Coronado has only 4 bus stops (comapred to 8 for CBR and they are about the same size), but since most people are there for a convention it was enough as a bus hardly ever filled up to standing room when going to the parks.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I've only stayed at Caribbean Beach and the All Stars Movies. We absolutely loved Caribbean Beach. We were in Barbados and it was less than a 10 min. walk to the main pool/food court, not bad at all. We saw some of Illuminations on that walk a few times! Our rooms was very clean and the staff was GREAT!!! We were facing the lake and the Barbadoes pool was mere steps from our room. I would defintely stay there again.

I was suggest going to allearsnet.com and checking out the pictures of each resort and making your decision on which appeals to you the most.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast