Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why are Mickey Mouse-themed areas expendable?

Why is it that any section at WDW that is themed (directly or indirectly) to Mickey and the gang (i.e., Mickey's Toontown Fair, Camp Minnie-Mickey) considered a temporary section and thus expendable?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Why are Mickey Mouse-themed areas expendable?

I can think of three reasons... Because (unlike DL's Toontown) neither were originally intended to be permanent/full-fledged lands. Because the characters can and do appear elsewhere, and because neither land is/was really that great.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

I agree with PSUMark. I'd love to see a permanent home for Mickey and co at WDW. Maybe put a Hollywood Toontown in DHS With some original attractioNs and maybe move Philamagic over from the MK

• враг народа

Blog Entries

First, I think you are looking at the situation backwards. It is not a case of viewing Mickey Mouse areas as temporary, it is a case of using Mickey Mouse for temporary areas. Why choose Mickey? Simple, he is widely known and popular, so the thought is that the recognition of Mickey Mouse as a brand will be enough of a draw, and there is less need to spend more on a temporary area.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    I agree with PSUMark. I'd love to see a permanent home for Mickey and co at WDW. Maybe put a Hollywood Toontown in DHS With some original attractioNs and maybe move Philamagic over from the MK
    Mickey has a permanent home in the Town Square Theater, and Minnie, Goofy, and the Ducks will be in the sideshow tent in the circus area.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Mickey has a permanent home in the Town Square Theater, and Minnie, Goofy, and the Ducks will be in the sideshow tent in the circus area.
    Yes, but Mickey will now be separated from his friends, and by his old nemesis, Pete, no less. The only one Mickey has now is Pluto.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

It also begs the question, how can Disneyland's Toontown (and also Tokyo Disneyland's) be permanent and WDW's Toontown Fair not?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    It also begs the question, how can Disneyland's Toontown (and also Tokyo Disneyland's) be permanent and WDW's Toontown Fair not?
    It has to do with the history of the land. Look up Mickey's Birthdayland and I am sure you will find plenty about the origins of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It has to do with the history of the land. Look up Mickey's Birthdayland and I am sure you will find plenty about the origins of the land.
    I know about that. But what I meant was, how can Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown Fair be considered expendable, while Toontown at Disneyland not so much?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• -

I know about that. But what I meant was, how can Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown Fair be considered expendable, while Toontown at Disneyland not so much?
    Difference in quality.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Because the latter was built to be a permanent land with a corresponding quality level; whereas the former was never intended to be permanent and kind of sucked?
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Shubisha

Because one has an E-ticket ride, expensively themed buildings and shops, and the other has circus tents and a kid-coaster. And magically, both the circus tents and kid-coaster were apparently permanent enough to withstand the land's makeover. So considering the tents have been there since 1990 and the barnstormer since 1996, I'd call them pretty permanent even if the name of the land has changed.

And thematically, Mickey's home is Toontown, CA. Toontown Faire was just his summer home, and what with the economy and housing market and all.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Because ToonTown was going to be built at the Disney-MGM Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    And thematically, Mickey's home is Toontown, CA. Toontown Faire was just his summer home, and what with the economy and housing market and all.
    But if that's the case, then what does that make Mickey's home in Tokyo Disneyland, which has its own almost mirror copy of CA's Toontown?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

But if that's the case, then what does that make Mickey's home in Tokyo Disneyland, which has its own almost mirror copy of CA's Toontown?
    Japanese Mickey's home? (Seriously, have you heard his voice? No way that's the same mouse...)
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast