Character Dining Experience?

Which would you recommend? Which are the best?

I have never been to Disney before so have no idea what to expect lol

• formerly very helpful

Re: Character Dining Experience?

A lot of this depends on what you want. Are you more interested in masked characters like Mickey? Or do you prefer faced characters like the princesses?
    Personally, I greatly prefer the faced characters, so my family and I have done the Princess meal in the castle in Magic Kingdom. It's VERY popular, so reservations are a MUST. The food was pretty good, and (back in 2006 anyway) was all you can eat. It was also pretty darn neat to dine inside the castle.
    It was also a good choice for us since at the time my daughter was afraid of the masked characters.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Depends on your demographic... who are you traveling with?

My personal favorite ones:
    Cinderella's Royal Table (in the castle, but bad food)
    1900 Park Fare (good food, easy location to access)
    Chef Mickeys (classic)
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

The only one I've done is the Crystal Palace, but I had a great time, Pooh and the gang were fun, and the setting was beautiful.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Cinderella's Royal Table (in the castle, but bad food)
    1900 Park Fare (good food, easy location to access)
    Chef Mickeys (classic)
    Pretty accurate summary, IMHO. I'll add that Chef Mickey's is extremely popular, and almost as difficult to get reservations at as Cinderella's. As a general rule, you need advance reservations for any character breakfast, but those two are definitely the hardest to get into.

It's also worth pointing out which characters each buffet has, and I'll throw a few more buffets into the mix as well:

Cinderella's Royal Table [Magic Kingdom] - The Princesses (Also worth pointing out that though you're inside the Castle, you have no view outside to the rest of the park as all the windows are stained glass. Also, like Eric, I'm not a fan of the food here.)
    1900 Park Fare [Grand Floridian Resort - monorail accessible from MK] - Alice in Wonderland/Mary Poppins for breakfast; characters from Cinderella for dinner
    Chef Mickey's [Contemporary Resort- monorail accessible from MK] - The Fab Five (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto)
    The Crystal Palace [Magic Kingdom] - Winnie the Pooh
    'Ohana [Polynesian Resort - monorail accessible from MK] - Lilo & Stitch (Characters appear for breakfast only)
    Cape May Cafe [Beach Club Resort] - Fab Five sans Mickey, believe it may include Chip & Dale (Characters appear for breakfast only)
    Akershus [Epcot] - The Princesses; Norwegian food - good quality, but more adventurous selection than the other buffets
    Tusker House [Animal Kingdom] - Fab Five; generally considered to have the best quality breakfast food (Characters appear for breakfast and lunch only)
    Hollywood & Vine [Hollywood Studios] - Disney Jr. characters (Characters appear for breakfast and lunch only)
    The Garden Grill [Epcot] - Chip and Dale and a few others; not a buffet - very good food
    Mickey's Backyard BBQ [Fort Wilderness] - Fab Five. Save yourself. Do not do this. Terrible food. Terrible show. Easily the worst dining experience I've ever had at Disney, ever. (And I've had a lot.)

I believe those are all of the character dining options. Except where otherwise noted, food is pretty standard across the board at the Disney character buffets - both in terms of quality and selection.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-28-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added a couple more restaurants
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Ahhh thank you all. It makes me feel so excited to see what characters are at the restaurants and realize I am actually GOING to Disney. I still don't think it has fully set in yet.

I am 25 and my younger brother will be 21. Well I will actually be 26 when we go. Damn that makes me feel older saying that lol.

Nostalgia probably makes me want to do the traditional Mickey, Minnie etc lol