Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Barbaraann Turns back the clock to 1997.

I grew up watching Walt Disney on television. The Wonderful World of Color. The Mouseketeers on the Mickey Mouse Club. I saw Jiminy Cricket do his "I'm No Fool Spots" on that very show, and I fell in love with the little guy who was Pinocchio's conscience.

Our family was poor, and so there was no money to take trips to the Disneyland that I saw on television. I saw Walt Disney talk about the new themepark that he was going to build in Florida. I remember hearing the news, the day he died. Disney World got built, and I knew lots of people who had visited. I figured it wasn't in the cards for me.

My younger son got to spend a few days there in the 80's when he was invited to Florida by a classmate. My brother visited with his wife just about the time Epcot was built.

I raised two boys, and then I became a grandmother. Sean liked watching Disney videos with his grandmother, and his favorite character was Pooh. My husband wanted to send Sean, and I, and Sean's mother to Disney World for a vacation. I was reluctant to travel with a young child, and so I started researching the idea instead. I bought a few Disney guidebooks, and started saving my money.

It wasn't until 1997, that I finally actually booked a trip. Sean was 4 years old, and I talked my husband in to going to Disney World with me and our grandson.

What follows is the scrapbook that I made of that trip.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 12:17 AM ----------

I didn't actually make a scrapbook with the pictures from my very first Disney World trip until 10 years after the trip. All the pictures I took were taken with a small pocket size camera, and I actually had all the pictures developed at the Photo Shop which used to be located in Magic Kingdom's Town Square.

Here is the album that I used.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 12:24 AM ----------

Disney World was celebrating it's 25th Birthday, and coincidentally, I would be celebrating my 50th birthday during my vacation.

Here is the title page for this scrapbook.

Re: Barbaraann Turns back the clock to 1997.

Wow thanks for sharing. You must have been over the moon when you finally got to go! Lovely scrap book!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So, since it was my very first trip to Disney World, I saved everything. I had the airplane tickets, and stubs from all kinds of things. We left the day before my 50th birthday, and arrived just about check in time. We decided to stay at the Polynesian. I knew that I wanted to be near the Magic Kingdom, and we soon discovered what a perfect choice we had made. Our flight from Chicago went very smooth. Our grandson was a champ, and his very first airplane ride went well. Back in 1997, there was no Magical Express. We bought a ticket on the Mears Shuttle, and the ride to the Polynesian was quite speedy and comfortable.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 01:29 AM ----------

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now let see how much I can remember as I post these pages, and recall my very first vacation ever to a Disney Destination.

I remember how hot it was when we arrived at the Polynesian Hotel. The room was ready, and they decided to put us in the Samoa building because it was a shorter walk to the LongHouse where the Food Court was and the monorail entrance. It also was a closer walk to the pool, and the launch. The launch would take us across the Seven Seas Lagoon to the Magic Kingdom. My husband especially loved that boat ride.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 08:44 AM ----------

I love the various things that come in the little arrival packets that one get when they check into a Disney World Hotel. That very first time, I don't remember if I read every word of what was handed to me. I do remember how excited I was though that we were finally in Florida, and finally at Disney World.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 08:49 AM ----------

The first thing that my husband wanted to do was to take Sean for a swim in the hotel swimming pool. Sean was very little at the time, and so he made sure that Sean was safe at all times. I was surprised that there are no lifeguards at the pools all the time. I guess that must cost way too much money to provide that service. The pool towels were big, and nearby, and Sean was glad to use one after the dip in the water. This was way before Sean became a fish in the water, due to our many many subsequent trips to the Dells in Wisconsin.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 08:58 AM ----------

I wish that I had taken many more pictures of the hotel. Nowadays with digital cameras, I'd probably have dozens of just the hotel, not to mention the actual room that we stayed in. At the time, I thought the room was sufficient. Sean slept in the one big bed with his grandma, and we let grandpa snore in the other one. Staying in this hotel, or any hotel, at that point in time was new for me. I'd later find out that many hotel rooms, are not as nice, and some are a whole lot nicer. The best thing about staying at the Polynesian was, "Location". You are a boat, and or, monorail ride away from the Magic Kingdom, and Epcot is but a monorail ride away as well.

Our vacation was a short one. I now wish that we had stayed longer, and perhaps we could have just spent a day hanging out at the hotel all day. The beach was nice, even though you can't swim in the water. The hotel has great restaurants, and they have a kids area in the lobby where the kids can sit and watch some Disney videos. I'm sure more activities were available had we taken the time to do that way back in 1997.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-31-2012 at 06:00 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
    Wow thanks for sharing. You must have been over the moon when you finally got to go! Lovely scrap book!
    Thanks for reading and commenting.

I was indeed very excited to be finally vacationing at Disney World. Going with my grandson, and my husband, and spending my birthday there made it extra special.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 01:36 PM ----------

Well after Sean and my husband finished swimming, we returned to our room to change, and then we headed out for an evening at Epcot. We were about to take our very first ride ever on the Disney World Monorail.

Quite frankly, it reminded me of riding the "L" trains in Chicago.

We soon learned how to take the monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and switch to the Epcot train. Sean and I posed for a photo while we made the journey, and we held up our passes, which were also the keys to our room at the Polynesian.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 01:38 PM ----------

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 01:43 PM ----------

Navigating Epcot was very confusing to me. I would have gotten lost, if my husband wasn't along to straighten me out. We took Sean to the Living Seas Pavillion, because of his love for all things in the ocean. I wish that I had take pictures there. Quite frankly, when traveling with a 4 year old, one tends to keep the eye on the child, moreso than on other things.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 01:48 PM ----------

My first day at Disney World was full of many many firsts. First time in Florida. First time in a themepark of any kind. First time on the monorail. First time renting a stroller, and being glad to have it for an active 4 year old. First time feeling the steamy Florida heat, and learning how it can be raining one minute, and not the next. First time understanding just how big the place called Disney World is. First time taking Sean's picture with a character. First time getting goosebumps knowing that tomorrow would be my 50th birthday, and we would be going to the Magic Kingdom, for the first time.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-31-2012 at 10:52 AM.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, I've always said ya was a good scrapper!

ORDDU: Thank you for sharing, dear. The only thing to mess up your trip was what they did to Cinderella's Castle at the time. Other than that, you pictures are wonderful.

ORWEN: What a cute little duckling you had with you in some of your pictures!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORGOCH: Well, I've always said ya was a good scrapper!

ORDDU: Thank you for sharing, dear. The only thing to mess up your trip was what they did to Cinderella's Castle at the time. Other than that, you pictures are wonderful.

ORWEN: What a cute little duckling you had with you in some of your pictures!
    I always love when my favorite "Terrific Trio" stops by and leaves a comment.

My very first view of Cinderella Castle was indeed in it's birthday suit. I wouldn't see the beauty of the original until 6 years later.

I do agree that the grandson is a real cutie. We do good work in our family.

• Lonestar Louisianian

First visits through the eyes and words of a child (at heart) are always wonderful to experience. I look forward to reading more amazement and wonder!

Thank you for sharing.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now let's see how much I actually remember about my very first visit to the Magic Kingdom. I do remember that it was an early entry day. I remember that I had read in a Disney guidebook that if you want to ride Dumbo, you really should head straight there after entering the park.

We stopped and rented a stroller for Sean, but the three of us walked down Main Street with the intention of going right straight through the castle to Fantasyland. I remember telling Sean to turn around, so I could take his picture. He was agreeable back then, and he listened to me every time I told him to smile.

I also did something that has become a tradition of mine to this day. I took a picture of the clock on Main Street. In the Magic Kingdom, it is on the left, where as in Disneyland, it is on the right. As you can see by the time, we were in the park quite early.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

Here is another picture of Sean and my husband walking down Main Street. It is obvious by the time on the clock, that the park must have opened up at 7:30 a.m. that morning. How else could we be walking past that clock at 7:45 a.m. These are some of my favorite pictures of Sean at the Magic Kingdom during that vacation.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 08:36 PM ----------

The wait for Dumbo was not very long at all. My husband did not want to ride. So he took the photos while Sean and I rode the ride. I still love the Dumbo ride to this day. Not sure Sean would ride it now, but I do know he was smiling those 15 years ago, when he rode with his grandmother.

---------- Post added 08-31-2012 at 08:47 PM ----------

Sean and I made sure that we waved at Grandpa, so he could get a good picture of the two of us on Dumbo.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-31-2012 at 05:31 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

At breakfast this morning, my husband and I were talking about this very trip that took place 15 years ago. I think that we took more than one ride on the carousel, because I know for a fact that we both didn't ride with Sean at the same time, and I don't think that I juggled the camera, while I was riding.

---------- Post added 09-01-2012 at 12:21 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-01-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

My husband remembered riding Peter Pan, which he really liked. Nowadays if I made this same trip, I would have taken a lot of photographs of all the rides, and signs, and the things that we saw. I take pictures, now, of everything, to help document my trip, and spark my memory. However, back in 1997, I was using film, and I kept the picture taking to a minimum.

I do remember wanting to take Sean into ToonTown, so that we could meet Mickey Mouse. So that is where we headed next after exploring Fantasyland to it's fullest.

Coming up, one of my very favorite photographs of Sean and my husband.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 09-01-2012 at 09:23 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We took Sean to see Mickey at his house. Well at least that was the plan. Mickey was not in, so I took this picture instead. I really wanted to get a picture of Sean with Mickey. Well that would heve to wait for another time, which it did.

---------- Post added 09-01-2012 at 08:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-01-2012 at 08:53 PM ----------

Toontown was a lot of fun. Sean played by Donald's boat, and we did investigate Mickey's House for quite a long time. It was nice to get out of the hot Florida sun for a while.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We took Sean to meet the characters while we were in ToonTown. We saw quite a few and took pictures of all of them. No Photo pass existed back then in 1997. It was a lot of fun, and Sean became a real pro at it in no time. I think my husband liked doing it more than Sean did.

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 06:37 AM ----------

Our next plan of action was to locate the Magic Kingdom's Barber Shop. I remember that we stopped and asked a cast member exactly where the shop was. It was in a different location back then compared to where it is now in Town Square.

I found it quite amusing that the barber who cut Sean's hair used to live in our home town of Chicago.

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 06:39 AM ----------

I paid the man for the haircut, and he gave Sean a "first haircut" certificate. Technically, it wasn't Sean's first haircut, but it was his first haircut at the Magic Kingdom. He has since done this many more times in the Town Square location.

• Minion

Great stuff! But that birthday cake castle is just aweful! Love your scrapbooking very well done!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We had a reservation at Crystal Palace for lunch. They called it Priority seating back then. Sean and my husband and I enjoyed meeting the characters from the Winnie the Pooh movies. Sean was very fond of Pooh when he was four years old.

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 04:20 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 04:44 PM ----------

About now, my memory gets foggy. I have some pages of things we did at the Magic Kingdom, but I am not remembering what day they are from, since we spent more than one day. I guess it's doesn't matter how accurate I am, since there won't be a written test.

I remember riding Jungle Cruise, which Sean really liked. The animals in the water sure got Sean's attention, especially the elephants.

We also rode Pirates of the Caribbean, but I didn't take any pictures in, or about that attraction. Sean got a little spooked when the boat went down. I enjoyed my first time on that attraction.

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Sean and his grandfather drove the cars in Tomorrowland, and we all rode the People Mover. I guess they don't call it the People Mover there. My husband especially loved that ride. He said it was relaxing, and they were out of the sun.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

15 years is a long time ago, and the sequence of events, on my birthday, is not clear in my mind. I do remember watching the afternoon parade, and then leaving the park. I do remember a trip to Downtown Disney, and how Sean fell asleep after we had done some shopping. We had no stroller, due to the mistaken idea that I could rent one in Downtown Disney. So we headed back to the Polynesian in search of food. Of course as soon as we arrived, Sean woke up.

I should have made a reservation somewhere, but I figured we would eat somewhere in Downtown Disney. Since that didn't happen, we took our chances that we could get into Ohana.

Success.

Ohana means family. I remember how tired I was, and how hungry I was as well. We told our waiter that we were celebrating my 50th birthday. They sat us fairly close to the windows, and that sure came in handy later when the fireworks were bursting over the castle in the Magic Kingdom. The food was yummy. The drinks were cold, and Sean especially loved the little umbrellas that they had. The theme from Hawaii 50 was played when they announced later that I was celebrating a special birthday. Sean loved participating in the games they had. My husband was laughing when they pushed coconuts around the restaurant.

All in all, it was a wonderful birthday celebration.

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 08:49 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-02-2012 at 08:52 PM ----------

The Polynesian has a small little area set up in the lobby where kids can watch Disney videos. Sean liked visiting it. It sure looks like we must have stopped there after our dinner at Ohana. Sean is one of those kids who doesn't like to go to bed early, especially when he had a nap in the afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast