WDW for non-English speakers

Hello, I'm new to this forum as a poster, although I've been a regular reader for many years. I live in the Netherlands, and after visiting Disneyland Paris for many years, next Spring I'm planning my first visit to Walt Disney World. While I don't have any problem speaking English, I'm going with my mother, who speaks basically no English at all (she's a HUGE Disney themepark fan). In Disneyland Paris this was never that much of a problem, since many cast members are from the Netherlands, but of course this will not be the case in WDW.

We don't expect there to be any Dutch translation, but my mother is a bit anxious CMs will think she is stupid if she has a hard time understanding them during things as ordering dinner (although of course I can do that for her, but it would be kind of nice for her to have some kind of communication with CMs herself).

So my question is, are CMs at WDW understanding if one needs a little more time, and for someone to speak very slowly in order for that person to understand what they are saying? Thank you very much for your answers!

• Minion

Re: WDW for non-English speakers

Absolutely they are! CMs are always willing to accommodate guests. You'd be surprised at how many CMs are from the Netherlands and can speak Dutch. Granted, they might not be at your restaurant, but you can always ask before being seated. WDW is a global destination and your mom won't be the first or last person to visit who has issues with the English language.

Thank you ohmyjustin! Hopefully we will find the right restaurants! We try to get reservations at the Coral Reef since we both love underwater life. Is there any use in asking for a table directly next to the tank? Hopefully we'll be in luck there!

Can I ask you another question? The spiels in rides such as Jungle Cruise, are they essential in having fun on the ride? We don't have a Jungle Cruise here in DLP so naturally that one is on our top list, but obviously my mum will not be able to make much out of the spiel. Is the ride still enjoyable if one doesn't understand what the skipper is saying? Or should i just be translating for her the entire ride?

---------- Post added 09-06-2012 at 10:49 PM ----------

Sorry if my English isn't all that good in writing, by the way.
    Last edited by DutchGuy; 09-06-2012 at 12:48 PM.

I've worked in one of the restaurants before. Trust me, If we or she doesn't understand, we'll find someone who does.

Your English writing is fine actually. You can write it much better than me!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Thank you Disneytwins. So we should be fine then? No need to be scared of being embarressed?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DutchGuy View Post
    Is there any use in asking for a table directly next to the tank? Hopefully we'll be in luck there!
    The Coral Reef is one of my favorite restaurants in WDW. Every time I visit I ask for a table right by the glass. Most times I'm taken right to one of the tables up front. Occasionally they try to put me at a table further back, and I politely tell them that I'm willing to wait till a table that I'd requested was ready. And then it's usually 5 minutes or so before I'm taken to a great table by the glass. So yes, go ahead and ask - just be willing to wait a few extra minutes for it.
    Last edited by danyoung; 09-06-2012 at 02:21 PM.

• Minion

No problem! To chime in on Jungle Cruise--yes, the spiel is a large part of the experience, but if your mom is really into the Disney magic, just being transported to a new place is fun in itself. The jokes might have her feeling left out if the entire boat is laughing but her, but I'm not sure if they'd translate well into other languages. I'm sure someone else can give you more insight on it, though.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Hello fellow Dutchman (well, I'm only half Dutch and can't speak it but...)!

You and your mom shouldn't have any problems at the parks. As mentioned, if a CM doesn't understand your mom, they'll find someone who does. Plus with you being there, you can also work as a translator so everyone is on the same page.

And I don't think anyone mentioned but they offer park maps in many different languages, most likely Dutch included.

You'll have a great time!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by DutchGuy View Post
    Thank you Disneytwins. So we should be fine then? No need to be scared of being embarressed?
    You don't have to worry about anything! Just ask them and they'll do the work for you. They deal with people who speak various languages all day everyday. It's normal routine for all the cast members.

Have fun!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003