Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: An Open Letter to Foamers Like Me

I've always believed the term "foamer" was misapplied. As I understand it, it was originally used to describe fans who, like Pavlov's dog, salivated at the mere mention of the name Disney. I think a foamer is someone who accepts whatever Disney does, just because it's Disney.

"The Rocket Rods are a fun ride and that's all that matters."

"But it's supposed to look like a cheap carnival. The theme is that there is no theme."

"Zack and Cody in the Matterhorn? I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work. I won't complain until I ride it."

Side note: Post #1,000! After six years, I got my gold star!
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Insomniac

^^I always thought that term was fanboi...
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I've always believed the term "foamer" was misapplied. As I understand it, it was originally used to describe fans who, like Pavlov's dog, salivated at the mere mention of the name Disney. I think a foamer is someone who accepts whatever Disney does, just because it's Disney.
    Not at all. Foamers are those who get worked up and act rabid.

It is a term a company would use against over zealous fans who lash out at the company. Not to describe the blind faithful.

---------- Post added 09-08-2012 at 03:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post

Yes, that's the denotation of the term; but used in Disney context it usually has a specific connotation that comes from Disney execs referring to message board posters with a critical attitude as "foamers." (i.e.: Disney "foamers" are people who care about the quality of the parks and draw attention to things that are subpar)
    Not just enthusiastic fans who are critical - but 'sick' ones who over react and are irrational. That's the negative connotation of it and the whole purpose of the tie into rabbies. Its why its foamers and not 'droolers' . It is used dismissively to characterize a person as abnormal and irrational.

think the op is using terms he doesn't really understand to start with.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    This is hilarious. I can definitely see what kind of a poster you are as you continue and continue to do whatever you're attempting to do, correct me, fix me, point me in the "right" direction, really it's about you and you feeling you've put me right.

I really should just tell you to put your time elsewhere and really understand that you have zero... how should i put this, success in doing whatever it is you think you're doing with me, whether it be calling me out or getting me to admit anything.

For you to truely believe I took it personally is on you. I am just responding to you since you focused in on me.

And with this we should be done with this funny attempt from you to ping pong back and forth a statement of mine. Back to watching my vintage YouTube Magic Kingdom WDW special. Have a magical day.
    When I said "no need to take it personally," I was referring to your seeming belief that I was somehow singling you out or going after your personally; that's not the case. It just irks me when people imply that the meaning of a text lies with the reader rather than the author. I've noticed that when you apply that belief to what someone has written who espouses those views; they tend not to appreciate it

But it any case, as you pointed out, it's really not worth arguing about anymore. I hope you enjoyed your Magic Kingdom special
    Last edited by PSUMark; 09-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Disneyland is 100 times better than WDW.

I'm sorry, I just had to put that out there.
    Totally disagree.

I think it's time we stop comparing Disneyland to Walt Disney World. It really is Apples to Oranges.

Are there some things Disneyland does better than WDW? Absolutely.
    Are there some things WDW does better than Disneyland? Absolutely.

Walt Disney World offers something Disneyland could NEVER offer, total and complete escapism. If you go to WDW, stay on Property for a week, 10 days, 3 days, whatever ... you can be fully isolated from the outside world. You will experience nothing but Disney through the entire duration of your trip.

From the hotels that are actually affordable, monorails that are actual transporation, boat rides between parks and resorts.

Yes, the bus system is TERRIBLE. Horrid. But even if you rent a car (we usually do) driving around the entire WDW resort is a breeze and doesn't take away from the magic AT ALL.

I've been to Disneyland at least 200 times, WDW only 3. My favorite park EVER is at WDW (EPCOT).

Disneyland is amazing, nobody is disputing that. But let's stop with the comparisons. They offer two totally separate experiences and that's a good thing!!

WDW is SO MUCH more than just the parks. If you are going there and just doing the parks, you are missing out on 1/2 (or more) of the experience.

Disneyland, for me, is just "the parks". Sure the Grand Cal is nice, Disneyland Hotel is nice ... but at the end of the day, for me, it's just another hotel. Downtown Disney is just another outside shopping mall.

Look at the Poly, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Yacht/Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, even the moderates like Port Orleans (my personal favorite). They are unique, nicely themed and VERY Disney.

Even DtD in FL has the awesome river, take a boat ride from Port Orleans to DtD, enjoy everything WDW has to offer and you won't even see it all in 2 weeks.

• Banned User

I happen to love and appreciate what both resorts have to offer.

I guess that makes me a freak...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I happen to love and appreciate what both resorts have to offer.

I guess that makes me a freak...
    Let your freak flag fly!!!

And it makes you awesome!!!

• Banned User

Thank you, sir.

• Insomniac

I like both resorts, but WDW has been giving me fewer reasons to visit for the last 5-10 years to the point that I will only go to WDW if someone else is going. WDW serves a different purpose than DLR, but for me I spend more time having fun and less time walking around in DLR. WDW I spend half my time in transit/ walking from ride to ride. At DLR I literally can enter the queue of 6 different rides within 100 feet of each other. WDW for 6 rides would probably be a half mile. But, like I said, WDW does serve a different purpose where the emphasis is on the experience as apposed to the rides. I think this is why, being a Disneylander, I find WDW to not be the perfect fit for me. I have no problem with others who like WDW more, but I agree with the OP it isn't for me.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Circle of Ancients

^ And I totally respect that. Again, like I said, Apples and Oranges.

I think that's probably why I like WDW so much, because it's NOT Disneyland and it's a totally different experience.

People complain and complain that Disneyland/WDW have some cloned rides. But when you REALLY sit down down and think about it the only exact cloned rides are Soarin', Capt. EO, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Star Tours, Muppets (I think that's it, there may be one or two I'm missing). I've never done Soarin' at WDW and really see no reason to.

My point is, as Bronco21 said, they offer vastly different experiences. Some people like that it's not "Disneyland 2.0" others not so much.

The great thing about this world is there is something for EVERYBODY. Doesn't necessarily mean that one thing is better than the other.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 09-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.

• The 70th Matt Named Super

I'd like to clear up a couple of things...

I never said anywhere that Disneyland was perfect and that everyone should abandon Walt Disney World. I could have swore that I wrote an open letter to others like me...Walt Disney World Guests that are tired of waiting for things that will never happen!

In fact, I think I said that Walt Disney World is now all about the resort experience and not so much the theme park experience (which is what I enjoy). I also said that I would not want to take away from (begrudge) anyone that still enjoys their Walt Disney World experience. I get that people are excited about Art of Animation, but I'm not. I understand that people enjoy interactive games throughout the parks, but I don't.

The point of my post was not to tell Microofy Duck to leave Walt Disney World! It was to say that I get it! Walt Disney World is not the "Disney" for me. I will no longer dwell on my ideas of what's wrong or should happen at Walt Disney World. I will instead be excited about new projects and events that the Walt Disney Company does seem to be providing for people like me! Projects and events that are at other Disney locations.

It really is as said above, apples to oranges. Walt Disney World is very different from other Disney parks. That was my whole point! I'm at a place where I know I prefer apples to oranges and I'm no longer going to bitch about oranges!

As for "Foamer", I didn't invent this term. And while I could not care less about napkins, cups, canopies over Test Track or other such silliness, I do seem to be now labeled a "Foamer" because I expected something different than I got from Walt Disney World. I now no longer expect anything from Walt Disney World...the place is not for me!

I love Disney & I want everyone to have their own best Disney experience. I want those that enjoy Walt Disney World to continue to go & enjoy it! But for those that are looking for the things that I have been looking for and upset that they can't find it...I'm simply saying maybe we've been expecting too much and looking in the wrong places.
    Last edited by Supermatt70; 09-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

^ For the record, I didn't have an issue with your post. It's more of the blanket "This is better than that" posts.

With respects to the moderator above.. Sir, I disagree with you. The other poster's opinion about Disneyland being "100 times better" is valid. You may not agree but that is his point of view and it is a valid one based on his experience I presume. Further, I find your comparison of Disney World and Disneyland to be like "apples and oranges" a bit odd. Seems to me Disney Company is making every effort to market their themed parks as equal experiences. They are not. But as different as apples and oranges can be, both of them should taste juicy and delicious even if different in texture and taste. That is not the case when you compare Disneyland and Disney World, hence your point falls flat for me. It's obvious Disney Company does not see their parks as different as apple and oranges...yet they are indeed different and not in a very good way. Exactly how is Disney World "escapism"? Because frankly I have never felt that way on my several trips to Orlando. Yet, the few times I've been in California.. once I pass under that train station, I feel like I have left the World behind. I just don't feel that sense of "escapism" in Orlando. What I do feel is Disney World as a resort destination, trying too hard to impress, while coming off fake in the process. A huge fail when compared to Disneyland. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

As for the original poster and his "open letter" opinion... BRAVO. I can relate to how you feel... I too used to enjoy Disney World until we visited Disneyland for the first time 5 years ago. Then in 2010, we found ourselves falling in love with Disney all over again during our visit to Tokyo Disney Resort. That vacation at Tokyo Disney really opened my eyes and made me realize how badly managed the Disney World parks really are. While everything we experienced in Tokyo Disney was mind blowing, our last vacation to Disney World was lackluster to put it mildly, just an adequate Disney experience that left a lot to be desired. Talk about apples and oranges!!! So I can feel the disappointment of that first post because I too have experienced that sense of sadness for something that you loved so much as a child and now reduced to a business like operation and nothing more.

• Metro-Retro Historian

^^ Ok so going off of the idea that Disneyland and Walt Disney World are similar enough that they can be compaired fairly, I'll say this. Disneyland is not and can never be better than Walt Disney World. I mean they are the same, right? So let's compare them straight up. Walt Disney World has better lakes and beaches. The boating and fishing at Disneyland is sub par when compared to the property on the east coast. The jogging and horseback riding trails are also sub par seeing as they are non existent. Speaking of non-existent, how are those Disneyland water parks?

Walt Disney World also has the edge on hotels not just because of the sheer number or variety of themes but also the sheer level of detail. I'd put the Wilderness Lodge up against the Grand Californian any day. Heck, I'd put the Boardwalk resort up against all of California's Downtown Disney. Forget about the fact that Florida still has a whole other Downtown Disney on top of that and both have their own water taxis.

I'm not saying this to degrade Disneyland. I'm merely trying to illustrate that the Walt Disney World Resort and what passes for a resort over at Disneyland are very much not the same thing. One is 2 parks, 2 hotels, and a shopping district. The other is a city.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    ^^ Ok so going off of the idea that Disneyland and Walt Disney World are similar enough that they can be compaired fairly, I'll say this. Disneyland is not and can never be better than Walt Disney World. I mean they are the same, right? So let's compare them straight up. Walt Disney World has better lakes and beaches. The boating and fishing at Disneyland is sub par when compared to the property on the east coast. The jogging and horseback riding trails are also sub par seeing as they are non existent. Speaking of non-existent, how are those Disneyland water parks?

Walt Disney World also has the edge on hotels not just because of the sheer number or variety of themes but also the sheer level of detail. I'd put the Wilderness Lodge up against the Grand Californian any day. Heck, I'd put the Boardwalk resort up against all of California's Downtown Disney. Forget about the fact that Florida still has a whole other Downtown Disney on top of that and both have their own water taxis.

I'm not saying this to degrade Disneyland. I'm merely trying to illustrate that the Walt Disney World Resort and what passes for a resort over at Disneyland are very much not the same thing. One is 2 parks, 2 hotels, and a shopping district. The other is a city.
    The beaches, the jogging trails, and all the other things you mention relate back to the same thing: the parks. People don't come to WDW for the hotels, jogging trails, water taxis, and whatnot, they come for the Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney's Hollywood Studios, which in my opinion, have less quality than Disneyland and DCA. You're just talking about the fluff of WDW, which yes, is better than Disneyland.

WDW - The golfer who buys the best clothes, the best clubs, and plays on the best courses, but is a mediocre golfer.

Disneyland - The golfer who has regular clothes, bad clubs, and plays in a driving range, but is an excellent golfer.
    Last edited by Chesire; 09-11-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast