Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: An Open Letter to Foamers Like Me

Compared to DLR, WDW is more of a "slow burn" type of theme park experience. You allocate more days to the trip, and you pace yourself. You know it will take longer, but you will get to do more and see more than you possibly could at DLR. With four theme parks and two water parks, WDW has many more quality attractions than the east coast resort. It just takes longer to get to them all.

DLR is a more concentrated experience. The parks are right next door to each other, and Disneyland has a lot of rides and shows packed in a surprisingly small area. But DLR will seldom be the linchpin of someone's entire vaction. Much more often, it's a part of a larger California vacation. By contrast, many people will build their entire vacation around WDW -- with maybe one or two additional days for Universal or Sea World.

I happen to love both kinds of trips. But hey, that's just me. Maybe next time at WDW (which happens to be next month!) I should spend my entire trip comparing the parks to Disneyland, instead of relaxing and having fun?
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 09-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.

• Metro-Retro Historian

So I went back and read the original post again and I noticed this thread got a little derailed. The thread started out with the realization that the direction the Orlando resort is heading and the direction the poster thinks it should go are fundamentally different. This is a fair observation. I'm no more a fan of pin trading stations and DVC in your face around every corner than he is. The part that threw me and a lot of others is that Disneyland is different in that regard.

I haven't been to Disneyland since 2003. From what I understand DVC isn't as heavily promoted there. I don't know about pins because I don't pay attention to those things anyway and wouldn't know they existed if there weren't pin stores screwing up the scenery around 2 of the 4 Walt Disney World park icons. ...I'm starting to see your point.

He also makes the point that the recent upgrades at Disneyland are better than the ones over on the east coast. This is debatable. Radiator Springs Racers does look fun and it's finished. The Fantasyland expansion still has another year or two left and Belle's Enchanted Tales or whatever doesn't compare to the E ticket that just opened in California. It's not supposed to. That E is being balanced out by the 2 Cs in Little Mermaid and the new Snow White coaster.

Because Walt Disney World is so huge there's a lot of infrastructure that needs to be maintained. You aren't supposed to ooh and ah about benches and repaved roads just like you aren't supposed to be that impressed when they change the bulbs on the street lights in New Orleans Square.

I understand the sentiment that Walt Disney World seems to be angling for a younger audience and trying to crank out all this inter-active stuff doesn't impress the people who just want the Carousel of Progress to work right. He saw no signs that management was going to do any of the things he felt needed to be done and decided to turn his attention to a place that he felt suited him better.

It's very hard knowing that the framework of Walt Disney World is so much better than Disneyland yet the level of maintenance and amount of wasted facilities are what make a lot of people see the parks as inferior. While the original poster has succumbed to the apparent reality that Walt Disney World's best days are behind it, I have to hope that at some point an executive team will take over that wants to actually do something with the place other than use it as a giant money printing machine. Disneyland got lucky that some of its fanboys got into positions where they can take care of the place. I hope someday that happens with the east coast too. Until then it's just stiff drinks and youtube videos of Horizons, I guess.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    If such a diverse offering isn't your thing, maybe Disneyland is the better fit for you. It does what it does very well. Walt Disney World does a lot more. It may not do them perfectly, but there is enormous potential for it to offer that complete escape and some of us aren't quite willing to give up on it just yet. Walt Disney World was once better than it is now. It's gotten a little lost with all its many divisions fighting with one another with no clear vision for what the property as a whole should be but I've always believed that if something can happen once it can happen again. The resort can be as great as it once was, maybe even better.

Here, Here! could not agree more.

I may not be easy to remember with the dynamic that exists now, but there was a time when Disneyland resort was not doing well. Things where looking really bad for a while there and DCA in its original for was almost a symbol of that. But DLR came back....and back strong, DCA is a new park and ever since the 50th DL has held up it's amazing standards.

Many of us who call WDW our "home park" are not ready to give up on her. I saw a lot of DL vs WDW in this thread, but at the end of the day most of us WDWer's have a huge love of Walt's original park, and just long for a day when we can get the same care and investment that it has gotten. We tend to get a bit defensive when people make statement like "Disneyland is just better than Disney World," Not because we don't love DL, but because we love WDW (all that WDW has to offer, you simply cannot experience WDW in the same way as DL, you have to treat it as a "vacation Kingdom.Ē Some of the hotels, for example, truly are Imagineering works of art that you simply canít experience anywhere else) we know WDW has issues, but we are not ready to give up.

• Coming soon...

Ah that's ok, with lots of the more rabid foamers gone I might be able go to Walt Disney World as a much quieter resort now!

Seriously, get a grip. I joined Micechat a while back, and I basically left because all most people can do here is complain and complain and complain. I don't have the luxury to go to WDW often, and when I do go I love it. Yeah, I myself will admit some bits lack, but most of the parks are brilliant. Have things gotten worse...yes, they have. Is it still one of the most fun holidays I can take...absolutely, yes! I don't mind minor nitpicking, I am one to do that a lot. BUT, to say "Oh my word, they forgot to repaint a fence, I'm never going again" or "Walt wouldn't do that, thus I don't want to go" is just evident of some severe over privileged whinging.

The more people go on and on and on about how bad this place is really really need a reality check. Why would anyone give up on what is still one the best theme park resorts in the world?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

People complain because they care, and the classic response about how "there's just more for me", dismisses a person's opinion. All opinions do matter even the one's contrary to mine, and sometimes in listening to those, I get a different perspective on things.

• Coming soon...

I'm not saying don't complain, I complain loads. What I'm against is this 'hunger strike' mentality that "oh it's all completely broken let's never go again" is just petty and annoying. I will nitpick to no end, but I still enjoy myself, which I feel many people here have forgotten to do. I go the resorts, I notice things that are wrong, I even bring them up, but to say it's so bad that you'll never go again is just ridiculous.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    I'm not saying don't complain, I complain loads. What I'm against is this 'hunger strike' mentality that "oh it's all completely broken let's never go again" is just petty and annoying. I will nitpick to no end, but I still enjoy myself, which I feel many people here have forgotten to do. I go the resorts, I notice things that are wrong, I even bring them up, but to say it's so bad that you'll never go again is just ridiculous.
    Wow...a reality check!
    Hey Scorchio, maybe we, too, should learn to ruin our fun by obsessing over every spot of chipped paint, overflowing garbage can or the one CM in twenty who didn't smile at us?

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    Well, we are dealing with thousands of dollars of vacationers dollars, if people don't call Disney out on low quality offerings it would be 100 times worse than it is. The more people who leave WDW for Universal, Six Flags, or Disneyland, the more disney will acknowledge the lack of quality offerings WDW has been putting out. If I am going to spend thousands of dollars, I want the best experience for my money. As the consumer it is my responsibility to demand quality products and if it's not quality, don't purchase it. TWDC relies heavily on brand commitment, but if they don't try to improve quality, they will slowly lose that brand commitment. Complaining about lower quality experiences forces Disney to improve quality. Customer feedback is always a good thing for a business, even bad feedback.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234