• Suspended

What happened to Mickey's house?

Did they destroy Mickey and Minnie's houses when they got rid of them for Storybook Circus or did they preserve them and all the contents inside so that they could easily be rebuilt somewhere else? To me it would have made so much sense if they moved the houses to Hollywood Studios or Walt Disney Studios in Paris because they were pretty highly themed and I think that they could easily be moved. And it would have cost nothing for them to do.

Put the houses inside the always empty Soundstage One next to Toy Story Mania, make it so it is always nighttime, put in a simple new ride or two and say that it is the soundstage where Mickey and Minnie and the others film their shows. It would be like Toontown/Mermaid Lagoon/Mexico Pavilion combined. Same for Paris inside the old costuming building.

It could have been cheaply done, it would have looked pretty good, added capacity, and is much better than an empty soundstage.

Or even they could have moved them to Downtown Disney for something else to do or could have built it as a part of Art of Animation.

It seems like a shame to have demolished them.

• Minion

Re: What happened to Mickey's house?

ORDDU: According to news reports, which my sisters were watching in our crystal ball at the time, both Mickey's and Minnie's houses were demolished instead or preserved--like we had hoped for. It was a sad day to see those monstrous bulldozer things next to their homes while we watched in horror...

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    To me it would have made so much sense if they moved the houses to Hollywood Studios or Walt Disney Studios in Paris because they were pretty highly themed and I think that they could easily be moved. And it would have cost nothing for them to do.
    How in the world would they have just picked up and moved houses, and how in the world would it have been easy or cost nothing?
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    How in the world would they have just picked up and moved houses, and how in the world would it have been easy or cost nothing?
    I'm sorry. Obviously you have no experience/knowledge when it comes to construction/building/architecture. I should have been more clear.

Houses are moved all the time from one location to another. Antique buildings are often relocated on large trucks and then built on a new foundation. Also, in regards to Mickey's and Minnie's homes, they could have disassembled the houses in pieces, dividing the walls into sections, and then reassemble them on a new site like a puzzle.

If they built it inside the soundstage like I stated, they would only need to reassemble the front facade. The interior could easily be rebuilt and all the set pieces be relocated.

I bet it was cheaper to just level them. I'm happy that they did that to Donald's boat. That thing made so much unneeded noises.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

One of the very first things that I visited with my grandson was Mickey and Minnie's houses. It's a shame that they are gone.

• Minion

ORWEN: I agree with you, Barbarann, duckling. Us Cauldron girls had heard that the original plan was to just have the houses moved and stored back stage just in case there would be another place to put them later on. Then we saw that awful demolition thing taking place. Poor Mickey and Minnie have been homeless in Florida ever since...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Next time I visit Magic Kingdom, it will feel strange to me that there is no "ToonTown" stop on the train that circles the park. I look forward to the new Fantasyland, but I will also miss the things that are gone. Especially those that made my very first Magic Kingdom visit so special.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I think it is pretty telling when even Mickey Mouse, won't live at MK any more.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by