Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Am I the only one who's not crazy over the old Beastly Kingdom concept?

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    personally i think the amazon, or australia, or an expansion on the african rainforest, or an America national parks area a la the Humphrey the bear cartoons, or an expansion and refurbishment of dinosaur, or a conservation station and in park railroad expansion, or a night time show like world of color would all be great additions to Animal Kingdom next.
    I agree with you on this.

I loved, loved, loved the River of Light concept that was proposed for Animal Kingdom.

I to this day believe it is the best concept for a night time show at this park. The park is so low key, and is about letting it unwind slowly, and a slow moving, and slow building parade on the water would be perfect.

Anyways. That is a long killed concept, one that as far as I know is no where on the development calendar.

I will say that Avatar is probably the greatest hope for WDW right now.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Hi Dapper Dan - I suppose it was a bit of an exaggeration to say that every mythological creature is represented in Harry Potter. It just seems like whatever the next big development is at WDW is naturally going to be compared to the Wizarding World, and if that next big thing were Beastly Kingdom, it would certainly invite some criticism about the themes being quite similar. But if it is done well, I certainly wouldn't complain!

• Mostly Harmless.

I still don't see the big deal with Harry Potter land. Seems like they just put a suit and tie on older rides... Wouldn't take much to out do that, just hope it isn't avatar.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Hi Dapper Dan - I suppose it was a bit of an exaggeration to say that every mythological creature is represented in Harry Potter. It just seems like whatever the next big development is at WDW is naturally going to be compared to the Wizarding World, and if that next big thing were Beastly Kingdom, it would certainly invite some criticism about the themes being quite similar. But if it is done well, I certainly wouldn't complain!
    Maybe that's why they don't want to do Beastly Kingdom. They know they'd have to put in some real money and effort to come out on top in the inevitable comparison. There's nothing wrong with being compared to something else as long as you win. It's probably just a lot easier to do some completely different concept, and cut corners then hope nobody compares it to anything.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• -

The concept is sound. I just think it needs a different name. Beastly Kingdom seems really bad to me. Almost like a name they threw out there as a placeholder until something better came along.
    Last edited by calsig31; 09-19-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I agree with you on this.

I loved, loved, loved the River of Light concept that was proposed for Animal Kingdom.

I to this day believe it is the best concept for a night time show at this park. The park is so low key, and is about letting it unwind slowly, and a slow moving, and slow building parade on the water would be perfect.

Anyways. That is a long killed concept, one that as far as I know is no where on the development calendar.

I will say that Avatar is probably the greatest hope for WDW right now.
    and i would say it is the park's preverbal Armageddon so we will have to agree to heavily disagree on that point.

• We'll hold them at bay

I like the idea but it will never be done since its at IOA. Maybe middle earth will be there one day
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Nutty about Disney parks

I have a couple of ideas that could make Beastly Kingdom unique from WWoHP/Lost Continent...

* Instead of a dragon roller coaster, a flume ride where the dragon shoots fire right over you as you make the final drop. The fire can be seen from outside the ride similar to Tokyo Disneysea's Mt Prometheus

* A carousel (don't groan) themed to look like Ancient ruins and consisting of strictly mythical animals (unicorns, pegasus, griffins, dragons, phoenixes, etc)

* A loch ness monster animatronic that will occasionally submerge from a nearby lake.

* An area themed to Brave

I think the unicorn hedge maze could still work provided the right execution.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Beastly Kingdom is a good general idea for a land but the concept art and proposed attractions that they came up with weren't very exciting imo. I wouldn't want that Beastly Kingdom to ever be built but I would like for the Imagineers to create a land with the same general theme for that part of the park.

I would love to see DinoLand USA leveled and replaced with a land that is meant to transport you to the time when dinosaurs roamed the earth... Maybe that would be too similar to Jurassic Park at Universal though. Would also love to see Australia built on the pad behind Everest.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    Beastly Kingdom is a good general idea for a land but the concept art and proposed attractions that they came up with weren't very exciting imo. I wouldn't want that Beastly Kingdom to ever be built but I would like for the Imagineers to create a land with the same general theme for that part of the park.

I would love to see DinoLand USA leveled and replaced with a land that is meant to transport you to the time when dinosaurs roamed the earth... Maybe that would be too similar to Jurassic Park at Universal though. Would also love to see Australia built on the pad behind Everest.
    I would love to see us time travel to the times of the dinosaurs. Too bad they can't bring Lucky the Dinosaur back.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Closed Account

People praise Beastly Kingdom because it will never be built. It's a way to criticize what Disney is doing now using something that will never exist and they can just build up into this theoretical awesome land they will have never visited.

• Metro-Retro Historian

^^ This is incorrect. People praise the Beastly Kingdom because it is a cornerstone of the theme that that the park was built around. Animal Kingdom celebrates animals past, present, and legendary. Not having the legendary part is like having the Magic Kingdom themed around yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy, then not have a Tomorrowland.

Here is the Disney Animal Kingdom logo. What animal do you see in the very center of that logo? This isn't the idealized fiction of a perfect land that you need it to be to stick it to the foamers. It is in fact the number one reason the Animal Kingdom was built in the first place. People praise the Beastly Kingdom concept because it belongs there and everybody knows it.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    * A carousel (don't groan) themed to look like Ancient ruins and consisting of strictly mythical animals (unicorns, pegasus, griffins, dragons, phoenixes, etc)

* A loch ness monster animatronic that will occasionally submerge from a nearby lake.
    The loch ness monster idea was a part of the plans for BK

as was a carousel

http://www.jamboeveryone.com/Blog/En...have_been.html
    Last edited by MJMcB; 09-23-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    ^^ This is incorrect. People praise the Beastly Kingdom because it is a cornerstone of the theme that that the park was built around. Animal Kingdom celebrates animals past, present, and legendary. Not having the legendary part is like having the Magic Kingdom themed around yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy, then not have a Tomorrowland.

Here is the Disney Animal Kingdom logo. What animal do you see in the very center of that logo? This isn't the idealized fiction of a perfect land that you need it to be to stick it to the foamers. It is in fact the number one reason the Animal Kingdom was built in the first place. People praise the Beastly Kingdom concept because it belongs there and everybody knows it.
    It wasn't a cornerstone and not the number one reason the park was built, because they never built it. It has been totally idealized. I imagine if it was built, the same people would be bashing the heck out of it in the same breath they act like defunct Epcot attractions were the most exciting rides that ever existed. Like I said, for certain fans, it's easier to enjoy things that don't exist anymore or have never existed than to get over their selves and enjoy things that exist in the present.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    It wasn't a cornerstone and not the number one reason the park was built, because they never built it. It has been totally idealized. I imagine if it was built, the same people would be bashing the heck out of it in the same breath they act like defunct Epcot attractions were the most exciting rides that ever existed. Like I said, for certain fans, it's easier to enjoy things that don't exist anymore or have never existed than to get over their selves and enjoy things that exist in the present.
    I don't know why I keep doing this. OK, I thought I explained how it was a cornerstone in the last post, but apparently that didn't get through to you. Aside from the dragon in the middle of the Animal Kingdom Logo, there is this one that sits above the entrance off to the left as you make your way into the park. This dragon effect that was seen along the Discovery River boats around the spot where Beastly Kingdom was to be built (aka Camp Minnie Mickey) along with this very dragon looking rock formation. Additionally, one of the parking lots is named unicorn. If you don't believe me, here is a picture of that. Ome more thing. The official dedication of the park delivered by Michael Eisner on April 22 1998 reads:
    Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
    To say that mythical creatures were not an intended cornerstone of the park's overall theme would be a willful ignorance of facts.

While we're on the topic of facts, when I said Beastly Kingdom was the number one reason the park was built, that wasn't hyperbole. Back in 1993 when Disney was toying with the idea of an animal park and were surveying guests on what aspects they were most interested in Beastly Kingdom was number one. The article for that can be read here. I know, Jim Hill isn't my favorite source either but the historical information there seems to be a lot more reliable than the "inside information." The reason why the land was never built is also in that article. Spoiler Alert: in retrospect, it's not a very good reason.

I'm not saying that the Beastly Kingdom plans that exist are the greatest thing ever. In fact, the only thing I'd want to keep as is would be the Loch Ness restaurant, but the overall concept of a land devoted to legendary animals is something very much ingrained in the Animal Kingdom theme and needs a larger presence than some rocks, a parking lot, and a malfunctioning yeti.

I could go into the Epcot thing too, but that's best left for another thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast