Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Am I the only one who's not crazy over the old Beastly Kingdom concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post

I'm not saying that the Beastly Kingdom plans that exist are the greatest thing ever. In fact, the only thing I'd want to keep as is would be the Loch Ness restaurant, but the overall concept of a land devoted to legendary animals is something very much ingrained in the Animal Kingdom theme and needs a larger presence than some rocks, a parking lot, and a malfunctioning yeti.
    Exactly. Plus the irony was that the slogan for DAK was originally meant to be nahtazu ("not a zoo"). However the imbalance of exhibits vs shows vs rides have pretty much caused this slogan to backfire on them.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't know why I keep doing this. OK, I thought I explained how it was a cornerstone in the last post, but apparently that didn't get through to you. Aside from the dragon in the middle of the Animal Kingdom Logo, there is this one that sits above the entrance off to the left as you make your way into the park. This dragon effect that was seen along the Discovery River boats around the spot where Beastly Kingdom was to be built (aka Camp Minnie Mickey) along with this very dragon looking rock formation. Additionally, one of the parking lots is named unicorn. If you don't believe me, here is a picture of that. Ome more thing. The official dedication of the park delivered by Michael Eisner on April 22 1998 reads: To say that mythical creatures were not an intended cornerstone of the park's overall theme would be a willful ignorance of facts.

While we're on the topic of facts, when I said Beastly Kingdom was the number one reason the park was built, that wasn't hyperbole. Back in 1993 when Disney was toying with the idea of an animal park and were surveying guests on what aspects they were most interested in Beastly Kingdom was number one. The article for that can be read here. I know, Jim Hill isn't my favorite source either but the historical information there seems to be a lot more reliable than the "inside information." The reason why the land was never built is also in that article. Spoiler Alert: in retrospect, it's not a very good reason.

I'm not saying that the Beastly Kingdom plans that exist are the greatest thing ever. In fact, the only thing I'd want to keep as is would be the Loch Ness restaurant, but the overall concept of a land devoted to legendary animals is something very much ingrained in the Animal Kingdom theme and needs a larger presence than some rocks, a parking lot, and a malfunctioning yeti.

I could go into the Epcot thing too, but that's best left for another thread.
    The park is called Animal Kingdom and the centerpiece is a giant tree. Those other things like the name of a parking lot are interesting, but they are not intrinsically tied to theme of the park.

It is hyperbole. If it was the reasons the park was built, they would have built it. No one other than you will be this dogmatic about Beastly Kingdom because this concept that they built the park for Beastly Kingdom is silly.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Exactly. Plus the irony was that the slogan for DAK was originally meant to be nahtazu ("not a zoo"). However the imbalance of exhibits vs shows vs rides have pretty much caused this slogan to backfire on them.
    Speaking of promotions, They also ran this commercial when the park first opened and hey look, another dragon. Disney's Animal Kingdom Opening Commercial - YouTube
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    People praise Beastly Kingdom because it will never be built. It's a way to criticize what Disney is doing now using something that will never exist and they can just build up into this theoretical awesome land they will have never visited.
    People praise it because it we original and full of storytelling
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123