Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Am I the only one who's not crazy over the old Beastly Kingdom concept?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Mythical and Legendary animals coming alive, but I wouldve liked it more if it was supposed to represent these animals in a realistic way, as if they were actually in our world like what they did with EE (with the exception of Fantasia Gardens). For example...

The evil side is dominated by DRAGON'S TOWER, a burned, wrecked castle inhabited by a greedy, fire breathing dragon. He hordes a fabulous treasure in his tower chamber. The castle is also inhabited by bats who speak to us from their upside down perches. The bats have a plan. They enlist our help trying to rob the dragon and fly us off on a wild chase. At last, we meet the fire-breathing dragon himself and barely escape un-barbecued
    The bolded part of the quote is what doesn't sit well with me. It's not really necessary, and doesn't stay true to dragon folklore (besides the treasure part). There are just some parts that are to...fictional i guess(lack of a bettter word) like the bat part, and the troll under the bridge and the Mother goose workshop. There are plenty of other concepts that i like, like the Loch Ness Terrace, the quest for the Unicorn, and Dare the Dragon, but i would like if it would be presented in a more realistic way to fit DAK and the natrual look that they've made today.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Am I the only one who's not crazy over the old Beastly Kingdom concept?

i know now that if BK ever presents itself to us that it won't be anything like what you read or stated. I just want an escape within an escape aka AK that takes me to a world I can't see at any theme park on either coast. I'm all for the money that was suppose to go into Avatarland into BK. It would be something "original" than all the movie turned ride stuff going on.

I just don't want Monsters Inc to find their way into Beastly Kingdom at all.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

I'm not a fan of it myself, but I understand why some want it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

BK isn't very exciting in the post Potter era. M
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

I'm a fan of the BASIC concept; that is, an area devoted to fictional animals from legend. But I'm not crazy about some of the specifics of it that made it to the drawing board.

Disney fans love to idolize certain previously planned projects such as this and Western River Expedition. I find it ludicrous to think that this is the only solution, as many have suggested. But its the most well known.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I thought the idea of the Fantasia-themed ride was kinda dumb and would work better if Greece had a pavilion in Epcot. Other than that some of the ideas have potential and a BK-like land could still work if they considered taking on some new ideas with it.

What KingEric said - I didn't even think of the fact that pretty much every mythological animal is represented in Harry Potter! That's a good point.

Toonaspie - I think a Greece pavilion with a ride based on Greek mythology is a GREAT idea! The only possible problem would be that Disney would just be soooooo tempted to put characters from Hercules all over it, which would probably be a mistake since that movie is not exactly beloved.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I feel just like movies are represented at Universal Studioes... Hollywood Studios does it share of representing the same brand. The same could be said for this Harry Potter place you all speak of.

Just because they are featured there in some form or another WDW can still do their own version of the idea of mythological creatures to the standard they do it. That's how I view it.

I don't see it as a scrap it all because well Harry Potter is out and built now.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• ɦɑʋʂ ɵɟ ɑɱɑɾʋ

I think the BK concept could have been really good fot the park. I really like it except for the bit you bolded about the bats (which sort of ruins it). I wouldn't want it in AK now though. However, I do want Disney to do a Dragon themed ride and a Hercules themed attraction in the future though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I like the overal concept, of mythical creatures, and a land being devoted to it, but when you look at the actual plans:

Hedge Maze
    Slow outdoor boat ride
    Exposed coaster

it isn't really exciting.

I want something more. I want escapism, I want adventure, I want a reason to spend hundreds of dollars on an Annual Pass.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

A Hedge Maze also figures heavily in the 4th Harry Potter book, so if Disney built one, people would probably raise their eyebrows (even though Disney planned it way before a Harry Potter theme park was ever even a possibility).

• Minion

personally i think the amazon, or australia, or an expansion on the african rainforest, or an America national parks area a la the Humphrey the bear cartoons, or an expansion and refurbishment of dinosaur, or a conservation station and in park railroad expansion, or a night time show like world of color would all be great additions to Animal Kingdom next.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The basic concept of Beastly Kingdom rounds the Animal Kingdom not a zoo theme park concept out perfectly. The specifics on some of the individual attractions could have used some work, but that doesn't mean that the whole idea should be thrown out. The Beastly Kingdom shown above is still from the height of the Eisner build it cheap dumb tourists don't know the difference era. With a proper budget and Imagineers that aren't forced to cater to 8 year olds, this could be one of the best lands in any park. It's certainly not the only idea for an Animal Kingdom expansion, but for many reasons it is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    I didn't even think of the fact that pretty much every mythological animal is represented in Harry Potter! That's a good point.
    That's not even close to true. There are quite literally thousands of mythical creatures not mentioned in the Potter books and even the more famous ones that are don't belong to the franchise. Dueling Dragons or Dragon Challenge or whatever it's called now isn't the first dragon themed coaster ever. It's also not so amazing that no dragon ride can ever be made again. There were hundreds of spooky dark rides built before the Haunted Mansion. Disney just did what they always did back then, made it better than anyone else had even thought of.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I'm a fan of the BASIC concept; that is, an area devoted to fictional animals from legend. But I'm not crazy about some of the specifics of it that made it to the drawing board.
    I completely agree. I would love to see a well-done version of this. On the scale of Cars Land, only bigger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast