Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

I don't see the Carousel of Progress as "outdated;" I see it as a tribute to the twentieth century. The technological progress made in the last century is staggering, and I think it perfectly captures the non-literal concept of "tomorrow."

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I don't see the Carousel of Progress as "outdated;" I see it as a tribute to the twentieth century. The technological progress made in the last century is staggering, and I think it perfectly captures the non-literal concept of "tomorrow."
    Even if it's only supposed to encompass the 20th Century, it is in dire, dire need of maintenance. (It also should be clearly set in the context of, "This is a retrospective of the last century." Right now, it's not, so the last scene just looks embarrassing.)
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Even if it's only supposed to encompass the 20th Century, it is in dire, dire need of maintenance. (It also should be clearly set in the context of, "This is a retrospective of the last century." Right now, it's not, so the last scene just looks embarrassing.)
    Something just needs to happen.

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 08:02 PM ----------

I didn't even include restaurants that I think need to go.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    While I 100% agree with you... I feel that it is one of those thing where, they let the magic out of the bottle, and you can never recapture it. Had they simply left it alone, it would be exactly that. It would be Epcot's Pirate or HM. But they killed it mercilessly... (and I do know the imagineer responsible). But the problem is, is that they can never truly recapture what was there. That is why I would just love it, if they started from scratch, and really, really dug deep into the amazing possibilities of the imagination.

You know what I forgot on here... DTD. I need to add DTD.
    Hey king Eric alot of the animatronics from the original are in warehouses I saw. So some of the old animatronics could be saved. Also dude I bet they hve all the plans and part lists on papers and such an could recreate animatronics aswell. Or could make brand new ones. Just think about the possibilities dude

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DreamfinderFigment View Post
    Hey king Eric alot of the animatronics from the original are in warehouses I saw. So some of the old animatronics could be saved. Also dude I bet they hve all the plans and part lists on papers and such an could recreate animatronics aswell. Or could make brand new ones. Just think about the possibilities dude
    That would be nice... I guesse we can always dream. As you can tell with this rant like thread I don't have a lot of hope.

• Minion

Maintenance, absolutely. But lack of maintenance /= "outdated."

Personally, I don't see how it could possibly be clearer about being about the twentieth century without insulting the intelligence of the audience. When I watch Ben-Hur, I'm not in any doubt that it's set in ancient Rome.

• WDW will always be home.

Personally, I don't see how it could possibly be clearer about being about the twentieth century without insulting the intelligence of the audience. When I watch Ben-Hur, I'm not in any doubt that it's set in ancient Rome.
    Well, I guess what I mean is, there needs to be some kind of explicit statement somewhere that "we made a creative choice to make this about the 20th century." For instance, the narrator at the beginning of the show could say something like "In tribute to Walt Disney's dream of progress, we now present the last century's worth of progress," or something like that - that could obviously be phrased better, but something that communicates that idea.

Right now, the idea that's communicated (to me at least) is, "We're too cheap/unmotivated to update the last scene."
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Maintenance, absolutely. But lack of maintenance /= "outdated."

I think you are confusing an unintended future past, with something that was not intended to be there for as long as it has.

The attraction reopened as part of the new Tomorrow land in 1994.

In 1994 the final scene was meant to be the contemporary future. It was supposed to be the year 2000.

Right now that scene "could" be viewed as an old view of what we thought the future would be. But that is not so. It is simply laziness. They have let that last scene sit there for 18 years with no update.

"car phones" and "laser discs" ugh.

Personally I would be fine if they did the following with the last scene:

cut out "car phones" and "laser discs"
    updated all the electronics, computer graphics, and kitchen appliances

We are in the age of Siri. People talk to their appliances, so this would at least seem contemporary.

Just SOMETHING needs to happen.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Well, I guess what I mean is, there needs to be some kind of explicit statement somewhere that "we made a creative choice to make this about the 20th century." For instance, the narrator at the beginning of the show could say something like "In tribute to Walt Disney's dream of progress, we now present the last century's worth of progress," or something like that - that could obviously be phrased better, but something that communicates that idea.

Right now, the idea that's communicated (to me at least) is, "We're too cheap/unmotivated to update the last scene."
    I think if they wanted to say that this is a look at the 20th century, they should move the thing to Main Street since it no longer has anything to do with tomorrow. Something they could do that would be really cool would be if you entered on Main Street and exited into Tomorrowland. Of course that would involve all the extra expense of moving the attraction and expanding Main Street or Tomorrowland or both and that would be a heck of a lot more expensive than just updating the thing.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I think if they wanted to say that this is a look at the 20th century, they should move the thing to Main Street since it no longer has anything to do with tomorrow. Something they could do that would be really cool would be if you entered on Main Street and exited into Tomorrowland. Of course that would involve all the extra expense of moving the attraction and expanding Main Street or Tomorrowland or both and that would be a heck of a lot more expensive than just updating the thing.
    That would be an AMAZING way to enter tomorrowland! sigh...

Swan boats?

Great job,wow those are a lot of empty things

I agree wit DHS being the worst park, is so boring mainly the tour and seeing the pearlharbor things over and over again :[

There's also the hole river country park, I know the laws now protect the natural water, but there they could build an hotel or a restaurant area like downtown.

Anything can be better than having instead an abandoned water park were the swap have claimed it again, well at least the crocodiles and storks are having fun on those slides.

*Edit* I forgot, there's also discovery island.
    Last edited by Sapphire-Light; 09-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Yeah I didn't include the abandoned areas on property

It's funny how all but one of the issues you listed for Magic Kingdom lie in the southeast corner of the park. Anyway, a few notes:

Carousel of Progress - I used to be all in favor of updating this attraction so that it could stay but after seeing it again in June, I noticed something that makes this implausible. The current version of the show, with 20 year gaps between each scene, ends in the room that once represented the 80's but now includes flat screen TV's and HD video games... with John and Sarah clearly in their 70's or 80's. If the final scene were to be updated to represent the current year, Disney would not only be placing a 40-50 year gap between the previous scene but they would also be asking us to believe that John and Sarah live well into their 100's. After realizing both of these things, I'm totally in favor of ripping it out.

I really wish they'd get rid of the Swan Boats loading platform. Just tear it down. It's so ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb when you're crossing the bridge from the hub to Tomorrowland. There are covered food/merch stands around the hub that share the same roof design and I wish they'd be redesigned as well. Maybe it's just me, but the inward slope and copper color are so off-putting and don't blend in well with the surrounding area.

As for Epcot - I'd much rather see The Circle of Life and Ellen's Energy Adventure updated with new HD films than torn out completely. (Soarin' needs a new HD film too, or at least a digital projection of the current film, but that's for another thread.) I'd like to see the Imagination pavilion be either completely gutted and replaced with something better that stays true to the pavilion's theme, or just be torn down all together and replaced with an E-ticket. I also don't understand why World Showplace is still there. Tear it down already! What is this Canadian log flume ride you speak of? Also, I never knew about the show buildings in World Showcase that were built for rides but serve as storage now... That's tragic.

And I think you've been a bit too harsh on DHS. The Indiana Jones stunt show doesn't feel aged at all imo and every time I've seen it, the place has been packed. I don't think it should go. The Muppets 4D also doesn't feel aged to me, though there are a few effects that need to be patched up. Also, One Man's Dream is a fantastic little walk-through that is always busy and definitely should not be removed. Voyage of The Little Mermaid could use some updating but it's also a people-eater and crowd-pleaser and shouldn't go.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    . . . Carousel of Progress - I used to be all in favor of updating this attraction so that it could stay but after seeing it again in June, I noticed something that makes this implausible. The current version of the show, with 20 year gaps between each scene, ends in the room that once represented the 80's but now includes flat screen TV's and HD video games... with John and Sarah clearly in their 70's or 80's. If the final scene were to be updated to represent the current year, Disney would not only be placing a 40-50 year gap between the previous scene but they would also be asking us to believe that John and Sarah live well into their 100's. After realizing both of these things, I'm totally in favor of ripping it out. . .
    I've been to 9 of the 11 Disney parks (not including the two water parks) and
    the Carousel of Progress is
    (tied along with Soarin' OVER CALIFORNIA),
    my second favorite Disney attraction
    after the Haunted Mansions/Phantom Manor. And,
    since we no longer have it at Disneyland, it and the PeopleMover are two of the biggest reasons why my family might cross the country to visit WDW in two years. I haven't been to WDW in 11 years (and I went about 18 times from 1972--2000--get to the point old man!), OK,
    please don't "rip out" this classic of classics!

I wrote the part below while fighting my insomnia. I'm making it light grey to reflect its weakness, but at least two Micechatters like my weird posts, so I'm not deleting it. Yet.

In 1964 the CoP covered just 64 years.
    Now, that it starts in 1900 and goes to the present, it's almost twice that. I want (but won't get) two Carousels of progress with one ending in '64, and the other starting in 1969, then 1985, then 2000, then 2014. Maybe change the CoPs from these two versions every five years, with spiffy updates each time.

Or go with one CoP and the years 1900, 1925, 1969, 1985 (pick three of those four--I want all four) then have an incredible (impossible, I know) vertical & underground system that can have (like Star Tours) different scenes for the last family room.

In one John & Sarah are in urns & it's present day.

In the next it's 2050 and their functioning heads are floating in clear balls atop robotic bodies and everything is wonderful because everyone is a Scientologist. I'm not a Scientologist, but I'm sure they'd cough up 60 million for a referb if this were the final family room.

Final option John & Sarah reveal their last names: Conner! But since Universal has the Terminator's John & Sarah Conner, we'll make them O'Conners and they are fighting the Taliban or the Chinese overlords. Or the French--that'd be funnier.

Good night.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Rofl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast