Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

I also like One Man's dream. It could use a bit of freshening up to be more like the Walt Disney Family Museum for the East Coast. It is also great for when the weather turns South but I agree DHS is just as bad (if not worse) than California Adventures was before the re-do. Maybe gutting the items you listed (other than One Man's Dream) and retooling the park as more of a Movies themed park with more "lands" similar to Cars would fix it. Spot on on most of the rest of the parks especially Chester & Hester and Conservation Station.

Re: Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

God, there is soooo much great stuff to go through here! I wish I had posted the article. Id love to go comment on all of it, in bits and pieces, starting here. But first...

In general, I think that the suits in Burbank/Anaheim are so close to Disneyland that it gets much more attention then the parks in Florida get. It seems they feel they can leave well enough left alone, and have put most of their attention into California Adventure and parks over seas. Now Lassiter needs to go park by park in Florida and engineer a complete redo of each and every park, ala CA. It will take time and money, but absolutely necessary if they want to remain the dominant force in Florida.

Off the top of my head I have to say that DHS and Epcot are in most desperate need of attention. I have never been a big fan of Animal Kingdom outside of Expedition Everest. Speaking of which, and here I think is the primary problem with all of the parks, Disney lost its edge to build and design the great thrill rides. The new Fantasyland expansion is really for young kids (nothing wrong with that). But how long has it been since Tower of Terror opened? Rock & Roller roller coaster? Or Everest? Disney used to lead the way for innovated thrill rides, and now they seem stuck on building Meet and Greets and catering to the young Princess fans and their parents. Even CA's biggest ride is just an expanded version of Test Track. THAT is where Disney is getting lost and falling behind the Universals. Where are they pushing the technology? Giving us a new Must See attraction that is worth booking our trips and building our war chest to afford to go to? I dont think they realize that most people who go to CA and Disneyland are either locals or people who are in LA for other reasons. I know very few people who plan a whole vacation there. Where they DO go is DisneyWorld, and that needs to start getting the same attention as the parks in thier own backyard. OK, thats my opening statement your honor : ) more to come

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    God, there is soooo much great stuff to go through here! I wish I had posted the article. Id love to go comment on all of it, in bits and pieces, starting here. But first...

In general, I think that the suits in Burbank/Anaheim are so close to Disneyland that it gets much more attention then the parks in Florida get. It seems they feel they can leave well enough left alone, and have put most of their attention into California Adventure and parks over seas. Now Lassiter needs to go park by park in Florida and engineer a complete redo of each and every park, ala CA. It will take time and money, but absolutely necessary if they want to remain the dominant force in Florida.

Off the top of my head I have to say that DHS and Epcot are in most desperate need of attention. I have never been a big fan of Animal Kingdom outside of Expedition Everest. Speaking of which, and here I think is the primary problem with all of the parks, Disney lost its edge to build and design the great thrill rides. The new Fantasyland expansion is really for young kids (nothing wrong with that). But how long has it been since Tower of Terror opened? Rock & Roller roller coaster? Or Everest? Disney used to lead the way for innovated thrill rides, and now they seem stuck on building Meet and Greets and catering to the young Princess fans and their parents. Even CA's biggest ride is just an expanded version of Test Track. THAT is where Disney is getting lost and falling behind the Universals. Where are they pushing the technology? Giving us a new Must See attraction that is worth booking our trips and building our war chest to afford to go to? I dont think they realize that most people who go to CA and Disneyland are either locals or people who are in LA for other reasons. I know very few people who plan a whole vacation there. Where they DO go is DisneyWorld, and that needs to start getting the same attention as the parks in thier own backyard. OK, thats my opening statement your honor : ) more to come
    Please feel free to steal this idea and write your own article. I would love another perspective on the abandoned space issues. There are so many more spaces like at discovery island, river country at at the resorts.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I agree with about 75% of your suggestions. I have to put in a plug for DisneyQuest. My son and I love it, we always reserve at least one day of our DisneyWorld trips to go there and spend all day. Several of the existing DQ attractions could use some TLC for sure. And we were sorry that Pleasure Island was for the most part abandoned just to add more shops. David Koenig at MousePlanet has a great article about Epcot: Is World Showcase Finished? (Mouse Tales' David Koenig) by David Koenig

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

One thing that's off topic, but related: I have always suspected that the music from Disney's LuminAria might have been reused from the canceled Rivers of Light show.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    One thing that's off topic, but related: I have always suspected that the music from Disney's LuminAria might have been reused from the canceled Rivers of Light show.

Timekeeper
    That would be a great way to re-purpose that music.

• Closed Account

Stop suggesting to "gut" classic rides please. We need Disney to build new things, not take more things away. As you point out, there is plenty of unused room.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

But some are so dated they would be better closed.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

So to move this discussion forward, what would you replace each of those vacant spots with?

i'm not sure where (somewhere in animal kingdom, most likely) but i'd love to see a lion king ride. for such a beloved movie it really gets very little in-park recognition. maybe a dark ride? or something bright and fun to do with "i just can't wait to be king".

• Insomniac

Not all of the spots are vacant but i would fix DHS by:

Demolish Indiana Jones, Sounds dangerous, Echo lake, AIE, and the buildings next to Star Tours to create an Indiana jones boat ride, Ewok playground, and a racing speeder bike coaster (Area now called Lucas Studios). Demolish HISTK playground and the building behind Muppetvision and re-theme pizza planet to create a Muppets studio cafeteria (with live performances from Dr. teeth), Muppet labs interactive play area, and the great muppet movie ride (Muppet Studios).

Studio tram tour, buildings/ parking lots behind pixar place, and LMA demolished and replaced by Pixar studios tour (people mover tour that takes your through John Lasseter's office and behind the scenes and experience the creation of iconic characters who then come to life and jump off the screen to interact with guests as they slowly glide through the studio. After you see the characters come to life, the characters welcome you into the world's of Cars, Monsters inc, Nemo, a bug's life, Incredibles, Wall-e, and Ratatouille. Each world is a full show scene with animatronics/ projections that interact with guests as they pass). The Monsters inc portion would travel through the show building of Monsters inc door coaster built where the employee parking structure currently sits (Whole area now Pixar studios).

The hat and parking lot behind the food court area would be demolished for a Rocketeer ride. Rock N' Roller coaster rethemed to gangster movies of the 1940's. Parking lot next to RNRC demolished for a gangster's market with a South Seas club restaurant. Great movie ride gets updated with new animatronics and show scenes. Fantasmic gets tech upgrades. A new show replaces Beauty and the beast. The new area from entrance to great movie ride up Sunshine plaza is Hollywood Studios (aka Hollywoodland).

The old DHS is never going to hold up. It needs a new park wide theme of Hollywood's studio's invite you to experience the characters, stories, and settings of the movies.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Not all of the spots are vacant but i would fix DHS by:

Demolish Indiana Jones, Sounds dangerous, Echo lake, AIE, and the buildings next to Star Tours to create an Indiana jones boat ride, Ewok playground, and a racing speeder bike coaster (Area now called Lucas Studios). Demolish HISTK playground and the building behind Muppetvision and re-theme pizza planet to create a Muppets studio cafeteria (with live performances from Dr. teeth), Muppet labs interactive play area, and the great muppet movie ride (Muppet Studios).

Studio tram tour, buildings/ parking lots behind pixar place, and LMA demolished and replaced by Pixar studios tour (people mover tour that takes your through John Lasseter's office and behind the scenes and experience the creation of iconic characters who then come to life and jump off the screen to interact with guests as they slowly glide through the studio. After you see the characters come to life, the characters welcome you into the world's of Cars, Monsters inc, Nemo, a bug's life, Incredibles, Wall-e, and Ratatouille. Each world is a full show scene with animatronics/ projections that interact with guests as they pass). The Monsters inc portion would travel through the show building of Monsters inc door coaster built where the employee parking structure currently sits (Whole area now Pixar studios).

The hat and parking lot behind the food court area would be demolished for a Rocketeer ride. Rock N' Roller coaster rethemed to gangster movies of the 1940's. Parking lot next to RNRC demolished for a gangster's market with a South Seas club restaurant. Great movie ride gets updated with new animatronics and show scenes. Fantasmic gets tech upgrades. A new show replaces Beauty and the beast. The new area from entrance to great movie ride up Sunshine plaza is Hollywood Studios (aka Hollywoodland).

The old DHS is never going to hold up. It needs a new park wide theme of Hollywood's studio's invite you to experience the characters, stories, and settings of the movies.
    All of your ideas are AMAZING. I just wish that something like this would happen.

Recently I had a friend in from out of town, and they were creating an itinerary for what parks to see, etc, and when it came to DHS, and after probably an hour of discussion they determined that there wasn't anything there for them, and that it was a skippable park, and that if they were going to go to a Studios Park it was going to be Universal.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    All of your ideas are AMAZING. I just wish that something like this would happen.

Recently I had a friend in from out of town, and they were creating an itinerary for what parks to see, etc, and when it came to DHS, and after probably an hour of discussion they determined that there wasn't anything there for them, and that it was a skippable park, and that if they were going to go to a Studios Park it was going to be Universal.
    It's kind of ironic since Eisner built DHS to keep that from happening, but it was never built up to its potential and it failed. Instead of building a park that was completely out of the league of Universal they built a park that was worse, and they are now paying for it. Disneyland was significantly higher quality than every other amusement park at the time. Magic Kingdom was supposed to be an even more amazing park than Disneyland. EPCOT was the largest non-government funded project ever constructed (at the time). It was unlike anything anyone in the world had seen (outside of world's fairs). MGM Studios was designed to be exactly at the same level as Universal Studios, and as Universal has improved quality, DHS has actually lost quality.

What's truly sad is that I don't even think TDO knows what is thematically/ technically wrong with DHS. They just assume its because they don't have enough thrill rides so we get RSR and maybe a Monsters Inc coaster. Instead of looking at what might the problem be, they assume it is lack of rides. I honestly think that all the suits at TDO need to take an introductory Creativity class so they can understand why assumptions are such a bad idea. The reason DCA's reboot was successful was because they looked into what the main issues were and solved them.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Metro-Retro Historian

The funny thing about Disney Hollywood Studios is that it proves Walt was right. Watching movies is a lot of fun. Watching people make movies, not so much. Contrary to what old Hollywood used to tell you and what your dvd extras may lead you to believe, film making is a long, slow, and often boring process. Why anyone thought the working studio idea is beyond me. Why anyone thought that Hollywood would start filming regularly in Florida is even more baffling. It's hot, has no topographical features and though the weather is pretty predictable, it's not what I would call cooperative.

Even if the studio did stick Walt knew that watching people make movies doesn't hold audience attention very long. This is especially true for animated movies. Who wants to watch someone sit at a desk drawing Donald Duck all day? This is why he built Disneyland in the first place. It was way more entertaining than a studio tour.

Eisner seems to have a weird knack for unwittingly finding rejected ideas and putting them on display so people can see just why they were rejected in the first place. One of the ideas that was rejected when World of Motion was in the design phase was an automobile testing facility. This was rejected because those places are very bare bones and not interesting to look at. Yes they can drive fast, and crashing stuff is always cool but the scenery is either empty warehouses or abandoned airfields. So they tossed that idea and went on to something else. Ten years later, the new management team decides to build Test Track and we see the empty warehouse those old guys were talking about.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    But some are so dated they would be better closed.
    With nothing better to replace them? What a miserable point of view. Plenty of those rides have lots of fans and they don't get a lot of complains since they are favorites. I don't understand the idea of just bulldozing capacity for no reason.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast