Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

Ok my negative nancy hat is on. But I wanted to take a moment to illustrate what in my opinion are wasted opportunities at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Each of the 4 parks have either expansion pads that should be filled, old show buildings that lie vacant, or attractions so out of date, or so universally loathed, that they should either be replaced at best, or closed with no replacement at worst.

Please feel free to add your own 2 cents here. But I keep finding it harder and harder to pony up the cost for an Annual Pass with so much gone to waste.

Magic Kingdom:

1. The Frontierland Expansion pad that the placement of Splash Mountain has pretty much made impossible.
    2. The Walt Disney Theater on Main Street that is now used for meeting Mickey Mouse was once an amazing show theater.
    3. The parking lot behind Mainstreet was once slated as an Expansion pad.
    4. The Tomorrowland Theater, now removed, no longer a daily show theater.
    5. The Carousel of Progres. While this is a personal favorite of mine, it is humiliatingly outdated, and does not receive the maintenance, and cleaning needed.
    6. Stiche's Great Escape - the ride system is 20 years past it's prime, and the theater just needs to be removed, and replaced.
    7. The Swan Boats disappeared from the Magic Kingdom and never were replaced. They never removed the infrastructure for this attraction either.

Epcot Future World:

1. Expansion pad that has never been used
    2. The Circle of Life attraction is incredibly outdated
    3. The Food Rocks Theater was simply boarded up and left to rot when they decided to build Soarin'
    4. Journey Into your Imagination with Figment hated almost universally (though not by me) this attraction sees only a small fraction of daily guests and the parks satisfaction score remains the same when this attraction is close (meaning guest don't care if it is opened or closed)
    5. Image Works Lab depressing, vacant, unused, sad
    6. Captain EO - the tribute was nice, but we need a new concept, and Honey I Shrunk the Audience isn't that.
    7. Ellen's Energy Adventure - Ellen has personally aged better than this attraction. Out dated, long, and stale this attraction excites no one.
    8. Wonders of Life Pavillion - now simply a convention space. Vacant and unused
    9. Odysse Center - now simply a convention and meeting space.
    10. Innoventions East - character meet and greets and show room displays
    11. Innoventions West - character meet and greets and show room displays

Epcot World Showcase:

1. Expansion pad never used
    2. Expansion pad never used
    3. Show building for a ride never built now used as Food and Wine Storage
    4. Expansion pad never used
    5. A show building for 2 attractions never built now used as storage for WDW merchandise
    6. Expansion pad never used
    7. Museum that could be a small dark ride or show, but is politically outdated, and never seen.
    8. Expansion Pad never used
    9. Impression De France while a personal favorite, is embarrassingly outdated. Nothing like seeing 1980's France with bell bottoms and striped shirts.
    10. World Show Place - a temporary building built for the Millennium celebration, that just happened to stay forever as a convention and meeting space. has now made it impossible for both the UK and Canada to ever get an attraction.
    11. Expansion pad for a Canadian attraction (once a proposed log flume ride) that never got built, thanks to the location of Soarin' and World Show Place.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

1. Indian Jones Epic Stunt Show - this has not aged well, and desperately needs to be removed.
    2. Drew Carey Sounds Dangers - now sits empty, and is used as convention/meeting space
    3. Muppets 4D - has not aged well. the ending with the 1990's clothing, and the 3D ghosting just looks bad.
    4. Honey I Shrunk the Kids Adventure Play Set - while this one I might take off here, because it still thrills kids. The reference is long gone, and no longer relevant.
    5. The Great Movie Ride - also has not aged well, and desperately needs to be refreshed or gutted.
    6. Back Lot Studio Tour - an embarrassment, a waste of space, and insults the visitors intelligence. the Bone yard, has been left to rot, and the studio aspect is completely gone. This needs to be removed asap, or just closed.
    7. Catastrophe Canyon - needs to be ripped out with the backlot tour
    8. Old production space that needs to be ripped out.
    9. Empty Sound Stage - once used to film the Mickey Mouse Club, it now is a sad Mickey Mouse Meet and Greet.
    10. Empty Sound Stage
    11. Old Production Space that needs to be ripped out
    12. Narnia, now a Pirates thing, completely wasted space
    13. The old parking tour for Animators who worked at Feature Animation, needs to be ripped out.
    14. Feature Animation Building, and Office space no longer utilized.
    15. One Man's Dream while this is quaint and cute, it is a waste of prime real estate.
    16. Voyage of the Little Mermaid - old tired, needs to be put down.
    17. The Magic of Disney Animation - this attraction feels lost, and pointless and out of date.
    18. Old Production space needs to be ripped out
    19. Old production space needs to be ripped out.
    20. Beauty and the beast Live an old show that needs to be upgraded or taken out, and is sitting on a massive expansion pad that could be better utilized.
    21. (not listed) located in the Old Hunch Back Theater, at the end of the Streets of America (the SF facade) after years of being boarded up and being used for Osbone Festival of Lights storage, it was renovated, and turned into Special Event Space.

Disney's Animal Kingdom

1. Conservation Station - people get there, and find out it is a petting zoo, and they turn around only to have to wait an hour to get back on a train.
    2. The old Firework testing grounds, this was once slated for Australia, now just an empty Expansion pad.
    3. This large bay area, was once slated for a night time show called "The Rivers of Light" would have been incredible. Now it is simply a bay/lake area with no real purpose, and lots of seating around it.
    4. Chester & Hester - intentionally tacky doesn't mean worthwhile.
    5. The Animal Kingdom River Boats might have closed it's first year, but Disney never removed the infrastructure much like at MK with the Swan Boats.
    6. Expansion Pad never used (slated for Pandora)
    7. The theater for Pocahontas and her Forrest friends currently sits closed. (slated for demolition for Pandora).

Downtown Disney

1. Expansion Pad Never Used
    2. Expansion Pad Never Used
    3. Bus Station and Expansion Pad Never Used (bus station built and no longer used)
    4. Valet at Cirque no longer used
    5. Disney Quest - so old, smelly, and boring it really is a blight.
    6. Expansion Pad Never Used
    7. Characters of Flight - no longer flying. - Correction is now flying.
    8. BET Sound stage - closed
    9. Adventurer's club - closed
    10. Comedy Warehouse - closed
    11. 8 Trax - closed
    12. Mannequins - closed
    13. Former Beach Club - closed
    14. Former Club - Closed
    15. Fultons - ok this is punitive, I just really don't like this restaurant, and think it is a waste of money. lol
    Last edited by KingEric; 11-15-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

This is a great list! I agree with the vast majority of this. My $0.02:

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    5. The Carousel of Progres. While this is a personal favorite of mine, it is humiliatingly outdated, and does not receive the maintenance, and cleaning needed.
    Carousel of Progress needs to be refreshed (and yes, it desperately needs it) rather than replaced. It is a Walt Disney classic, and WDW has the last extant version. Though I can't find the reference presently, I'm nearly positive that Walt once said it was the one attraction that he hoped would never leave his park.

7. Ellen's Energy Adventure - Ellen has personally aged better than this attraction. Out dated, long, and stale this attraction excites no one.
    Ellen's Energy Adventure needs to be updated badly, but I honestly, genuinely still enjoy it as is. Tons of potential for an update here, though - probably the most relevant Future World pavilion to current world challenges.

9. Impression De France while a personal favorite, is embarrassingly outdated. Nothing like seeing 1980's France with bell bottoms and striped shirts.
    I love Impressions de France. The footage is definitely very dated, but most Americans are so unfamiliar with French fashions/style, that they don't even realize how dated it all is and just assume it's French. The landscape/city scenes are still absolutely gorgeous and the narration is pitch-perfect. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to an update if they kept the same tone.

3. Muppets 4D - has not aged well. the ending with the 1990's clothing, and the 3D ghosting just looks bad.
    Similar to Carousel, I believe Muppets 4D should be kept, not only because it's still very funny, but because it's the last thing that Jim Henson worked on prior to his death. I do agree that the 3D effect needs to be updated/improved and they should re-shoot the final scene (possibly w/ different versions for night/day, different types of weather).

5. The Great Movie Ride - also has not aged well, and desperately needs to be refreshed or gutted.
    The biggest problem with The Great Movie Ride is not the technology or the show scenes, but the embarrassingly corny/terrible/awful script. That attraction could be a lot more interesting/relevant if they didn't make the CM tour guides sound like tools.

15. One Man's Dream while this is quaint and cute, it is a waste of prime real estate.
    One Man's Dream is absolutely a relevant, entertaining, and worthwhile use of space - the one thing on your list that I totally disagree with.

17. The Magic of Disney Animation - this attraction feels lost, and pointless and out of date.
    DCA made the The Magic of Disney Animation fresh and relevant again - WDW could learn from that.

Two things that I would add that are missing from your list:
    1. I know WDI/TDO sank a ton of money into it, but Mission: Space needs to be replaced as well. The intensity of the attraction means it has a very limited ridership (and the "green" version is pointlessly dull), and it has the unfortunate distinction of being the WDW attraction responsible for the most deaths on property.
    2. DHS is a totally dysfunctional park with no identity. Replacing/adding attractions here won't cut it - the entire park needs to be re-conceptualized/re-themed. I think this actually could be accomplished using a lot of the existing infrastructure/attractions and discussed that in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    what the park really needs is a total reboot/reconception to a park that doesn't pretend to be a studio, but rather celebrates movies through immersive experiences, and limited behind the scenes tidbits. That would mean scrapping all currently established themes aside from Hollywood Blvd/Sunset Blvd, getting rid of all the false sets, and "re-districting" the rest of the studios into something that kind of resembles immersive, genuinely themed lands.

The rough framework for this is already there - a Lucas land, a Pixar land, a WDFA land, a Muppets land, and an area that just needs to be totally demo'ed and either absorbed by one or more of the above lands or turned into something totally new (perhaps Marvel land using lesser known characters not in use at IoA, or heck, even Avatar land?). You could do all of the above without making super drastic changes to the existing infrastructure/attraction lineup (i.e.: spending tons and tons of $$$) - you just need to get the details right (i.e.: caring). Unfortunately, TDO doesn't seem to be willing to do either.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

PSUMark I agree with 100% of what you are saying. Mission:Space as sad as it is, is a massive $150 million failure. I didn't include it on this list, as I didn't want to seem too petty.

I am going to do DAK when I have some more time.

But I agree with you on the DHS thought. I honestly didn't realize just how dysfunctional this park is until I started marking up on the map, and I kind of had an "ah ha" moment.

DHS is a waste.

Disney World is not meant for fanatics of the Disney brand. It's meant for infrequent visitors who really do not comprehend what criteria should separate Disney from the bunch. Hence, the sad state of the World. Thank goodness the folks in Anaheim know the meaning of Walt's traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    Disney World is not meant for fanatics of the Disney brand. It's meant for infrequent visitors who really do not comprehend what criteria should separate Disney from the bunch. Hence, the sad state of the World. Thank goodness the folks in Anaheim know the meaning of Walt's traditions.
    This thinking works as long as TDO is content to allow Universal to keep stealing days of people's vacations away from Disney. That may be true, but if that's the case, hopefully that sends the message to Burbank that TDO is in need of new management.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

This thinking works as long as TDO is content to allow Universal to keep stealing days of people's vacations away from Disney. That may be true, but if that's the case, hopefully that sends the message to Burbank that TDO is in need of new management.
    The sad thing about TDO is that the average tenure of someone in an upper management position there these days is 3 years.

So you have people who spend their first year getting into the position, their 2nd year trying to improve performance, and their 3rd year wrapping things up before they go on to their next career.

• Inappropriate

Ugh, while I disagree with a lot of the "rip it out" items on this list, suggesting many updates instead, there is still a whole lot of depression present. I never realized just how much wasted space DHS has. And expansion pads galore! It really is sad and it's taking it's toll. I've been visiting WDW exclusively for quite a few years now, but next year, I'm cutting down on my Disney days and adding some Universal days in their place. Sorry, WDW, but get your act together. Just look at your sibling park across the country. They know what they're doing.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

The sad thing about TDO is that the average tenure of someone in an upper management position there these days is 3 years.

So you have people who spend their first year getting into the position, their 2nd year trying to improve performance, and their 3rd year wrapping things up before they go on to their next career.
    That explains quite a bit, sadly. I've thought for a long time that the biggest problem with WDW post-1994 is complete lack of long-term vision/goals.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Ugh, while I disagree with a lot of the "rip it out" items on this list, suggesting many updates instead, there is still a whole lot of depression present. I never realized just how much wasted space DHS has. And expansion pads galore! It really is sad and it's taking it's toll. I've been visiting WDW exclusively for quite a few years now, but next year, I'm cutting down on my Disney days and adding some Universal days in their place. Sorry, WDW, but get your act together. Just look at your sibling park across the country. They know what they're doing.
    My Annual Passes expired in June, and I just can't muster the reason to buy anew. I have a Premium Annual Pass at Universal and I feel like I get my money's worth when I go.

With my Disney AP, I just never felt like I got my money's worth.

---------- Post added 09-11-2012 at 01:28 PM ----------

Dang it.. I forgot one for the studios... the old Hunchback theater, that is now just a special event theater.

---------- Post added 09-11-2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

Ok added Animal Kingdom. So now all 4 parks are up there.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Great list with a lot of helpful information. It also helps illustrate just how bad The Studios park is. I'm with Mark on One Man's Dream and Muppetvision though. The Carousel of Progress needs a complete overhaul. The first three acts may look vaguely like the original but as far as the script goes they are not. Because of that, even as a relatively ardent purist I'm still ok with completely changing the show as long as the basic concept remains the same. Oh and bringing back act 5 would be icing on the cake, but that's more of a pipe dream... as if the rest somehow isn't?

Edit: I'd also add to the Magic Kingdom list the former Snow White's Scary Adventures show building which will be under-used once it becomes the princess meet and greet.

That explains quite a bit, sadly. I've thought for a long time that the biggest problem with WDW post-1994 is complete lack of long-term vision/goals.
    Yes, no long term vision and no sense of unity anywhere. It's as if everything was designed and implemented by individual project units with no communication between them. Every attraction, show, or restaurant is its own little island. This is why we'll never see anything like the Peoplemover or riverboat again. Those attractions hinge on harmonizing with everything else going on around them.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

I'd really like for the original imagination to come back with modernized effects,ride system,and animatronics. Same soundtrack though but restored. The new one is terrible. Ive neer been to Florida but I became a fan by watching martin's ultimate tribute and I want to see the original one day so badly.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DreamfinderFigment View Post
    I'd really like for the original imagination to come back with modernized effects,ride system,and animatronics. Same soundtrack though but restored. The new one is terrible. Ive neer been to Florida but I became a fan by watching martin's ultimate tribute and I want to see the original one day so badly.
    Personally I want to see a brand new concept. At this point let the past die. That doesn't mean that the concept can't involve figment but, I would like to see a whole new ride system.

Personally I want to see a brand new concept. At this point let the past die. That doesn't mean that the concept can't involve figment but, I would like to see a whole new ride system.
    The original Journey Into Imagination is the only 82 Future World attraction that I wouldn't mind seeing come back in an updated "shot for shot" remake. It doesn't get/wouldn't be dated like Horizons/WoM and I truly believe that it was/is an Imagineering masterpiece - EPCOT Center's PotC/HM.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

The original Journey Into Imagination is the only 82 Future World attraction that I wouldn't mind seeing come back in an updated "shot for shot" remake. It doesn't get/wouldn't be dated like Horizons/WoM and I truly believe that it was/is an Imagineering masterpiece - EPCOT Center's PotC/HM.
    While I 100% agree with you... I feel that it is one of those thing where, they let the magic out of the bottle, and you can never recapture it. Had they simply left it alone, it would be exactly that. It would be Epcot's Pirate or HM. But they killed it mercilessly... (and I do know the imagineer responsible). But the problem is, is that they can never truly recapture what was there. That is why I would just love it, if they started from scratch, and really, really dug deep into the amazing possibilities of the imagination.

You know what I forgot on here... DTD. I need to add DTD.

• Metro-Retro Historian

You know what I forgot on here... DTD. I need to add DTD.
    I don't know if there are enough numbers to list all the problems there.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast