Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Last Sacred Cow Slaugthered. BOOZE IN MK

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    My opposition stems, in part, from the American cultural norm from the 50s to today that kids and alcohol should not mix. I believe that norm is even stronger today than it was in the 50s. Hence, not only is Disney going against tradition but against the prevailing wind of today's American culture itself.
    How does one get to that conclusion? Alcohol is served in a large portion (I'd argue even majority) of table resturants around the country... be it a Japanese steakhouse... Applebees... to a white linen, top shelf restaurant.

You're clinging to some over branching ideal that simply doesn't exist anywhere EXCEPT in the MK-concept.

We are more aware about promoting alcohol to kids.. and there is a greater tenacity to keep alcohol out of kids hands... but this notion that alcohol must be kept SEPARATE from kids in a dining atmosphere just doesn't exist in common culture.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I'd be more bothered if they started selling gum in the park.
    Oh yes, THAT would be something truly scary.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    How does one get to that conclusion? Alcohol is served in a large portion (I'd argue even majority) of table resturants around the country... be it a Japanese steakhouse... Applebees... to a white linen, top shelf restaurant.

You're clinging to some over branching ideal that simply doesn't exist anywhere EXCEPT in the MK-concept.

We are more aware about promoting alcohol to kids.. and there is a greater tenacity to keep alcohol out of kids hands... but this notion that alcohol must be kept SEPARATE from kids in a dining atmosphere just doesn't exist in common culture.
    Yeah, this view point is straight out of 1950 and not a single solitary person that opposes this lives up to those kinds of standards because they all eat with children at restaurants that serve alcohol on a regular basis. It's just not factual and will never be factual. I'm pretty sure last time I was at Applebee's or Red Lobster, there weren't drunken brawls because alcohol was on the menu. This whole concept that something will happen like that due to people having wine with their French meal probably wouldn't make it into a cartoon it's so laughable.

When Disneyland was opened, prohibition and Al Capone were all still fresh in the public consciousness. Contrasting those mindsets against 2012 is insane. I understand some people are just out to nitpick everything Disney does, but if you don't even live up to that standard yourself when it comes to a certain issue (eating in places that serve alcohol) you have zero moral argument. Most people in Walt's time didn't even eat at restaurants for crying out loud. They ate every meal at home. There is at least one story about Walt not wanting to employ people of color. Would that be acceptable under the "What Would Walt Do?" mantra?

• Metro-Retro Historian

Name one other thing at the Magic Kingdom that has an age restriction, anything that a person can be too young or too old to do.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My grandson had a 16th birthday party where he made one request to his mother. Don't serve any alcohol. There would be both kids, and adults at his party, and he obviously wanted everyone to stay sober.

I wonder as I read this thread how many of the children who visit MK, and WDW at large wish this very thing inside their hearts.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Name one other thing at the Magic Kingdom that has an age restriction, anything that a person can be too young or too old to do.
    The rides have height restrictions. Same thing as age restrictions unless you live in a alternate universe populated by robots that don't grow taller as they age. I notice the arguments against this are getting increasingly sillier.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    The rides have height restrictions. Same thing as age restrictions unless you live in a alternate universe populated by robots that don't grow taller as they age. I notice the arguments against this are getting increasingly sillier.
    Not only the height restrictions, but many of the physical restrictions also tend to become more likely with age.

Also, the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter had an age limit.
    Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is limited to children ages 3 to 12.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My grandson had a 16th birthday party where he made one request to his mother. Don't serve any alcohol. There would be both kids, and adults at his party, and he obviously wanted everyone to stay sober.

I wonder as I read this thread how many of the children who visit MK, and WDW at large wish this very thing inside their hearts.
    It's my thought that the families with drinking members already experience this situation on a daily basis. I have a really hard time picturing little Timmy standing outside the Be Our Guest restaurant with a tear in his eye and pleading, "Please, Daddy, don't go in that evil place - they serve WINE!!!"

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It's my thought that the families with drinking members already experience this situation on a daily basis. I have a really hard time picturing little Timmy standing outside the Be Our Guest restaurant with a tear in his eye and pleading, "Please, Daddy, don't go in that evil place - they serve WINE!!!"
    Maybe 16 year olds are having a different type of party these days, but I would assume the atmosphere at a party, even a tame one, would be quite different than the atmosphere at what is supposed to be a somewhat fine French restaurant.

• We'll hold them at bay

I for one cant wait for a glass of wine at the eatery

to be honest, i wish the sold them on that god awful peter pan queue
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by RB Dash View Post
    Unless you live in an alternate universe where everyone grows at exactly the same rate, height and age are not the same thing.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Unless you live in an alternate universe where everyone grows at exactly the same rate, height and age are not the same thing.
    They may not be the same but the idea is that there are averages and a height can be verified more easily and quickly than age. Of course, you did not comment on the two age based restrictions I listed.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post

I for one can't wait for a glass of wine at the eatery.

. . . I wish the sold them along that god awful Peter Pan queue.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-24-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: that's what editors do

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    They may not be the same but the idea is that there are averages and a height can be verified more easily and quickly than age. Of course, you did not comment on the two age based restrictions I listed.
    I remember Alien Encounter having a height restriction, but I don't remember anything about age. I forgot about the Bibidi Bobidi Boutique and I think the age restriction there is equally stupid. In fact on my last trip down I remember by girlfriend being bummed out that she couldn't be done up all pretty like a princess. I think they have some loophole like an adult can get makeup if they have a kid also doing it but they can't wear a costume because of that whole adults can't wear costumes at Disney rule, which is a stupid but unfortunately necessary rule. Is that an age restriction too or just based on if you look old enough to be a cast member? I think that Tinkerbell girl a couple months back was only 15.

I'm going to attempt to climb out of this downward spiral, or peel back the onion, or whatever metaphor suits your fancy. So now we have adults able to buy adult drinks in the Magic Kingdom. We also have kids only princess and pirate dress up boutiques and the new Dumbo playground waiting area which may or may not have age restrictions. I'm having trouble finding out if the ages for the areas are enforced or just guidelines.

Regardless, the whole age and height guidelines can be traced all the way back to the Matterhorn, the very first attraction to have any kind of restriction. This was of course a minimum height requirement and strictly for safety reasons. Truth is that because roller coasters are a bit intense and have things like height requirements, Walt was very reluctant to build one because not everyone would be able to enjoy it. Back then Walt was serious about making sure that his park for the whole family really was for the whole family. Dick Nunis had to do an awful lot of convincing to get Walt to finally sign off on the roller coaster. It was just one ride after all and there was the whole rest of the park for people who for whatever reason weren't up to the Matterhorn.

I'm not going to say that Walt gave in just this one time, after all, when Walt died, Space Mountain plans were already very much already in motion. So one ride became two, and then Thunder Mountain, and Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Finally Alien Encounter which had a height restriction not for safety but because it was too scary for...short people? I hope I'm wrong but there is no reason why this booze in one place policy won't follow the same trend, especially if it proves to be a money maker.

Walt and his team of super heroes created a park that families could enjoy together. This is very different from the modern trend toward a park that ha something for everyone in the whole family. One attempts to appeal to all ages, while the other uses different areas to target specific demographics. One believed there was something better than the bench for parents to sit on while the kids play and the other... just finished construction on that very thing. The drinks on their own aren't bad, they are just the latest symptom of a much bigger problem.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I was just reading about this somewhere else, where Disney raised the height requirement and then raised it again, all in the hopes of keeping the littlest (youngest) kids out of the Alien Encounter attraction.

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 02:26 PM ----------

Walt and his team of super heroes created a park that families could enjoy together. This is very different from the modern trend toward a park that ha something for everyone in the whole family.
    I've always thought that the above "Walt" idea is one of the most misunderstood. Walt never intended that every ride in DL would be able to be enjoyed by every person of every age. He had kiddie rides, and with the advent of the Matterhorn he had thrill rides that appealed more to the adult. It's a great aspect of the park that most attractions can be enjoyed by most people, no matter what their age. But it was never a requirement that an attraction be able to be experienced by ALL people.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast