Since May 2003

• Closed Account

Re: Last Sacred Cow Slaugthered. BOOZE IN MK

Till a drunk guest stumbles out.......

• Minion

yay i like this news lol, imagine alcoholic dole whips :o

They failed to mention that it will only be available during dinner and guests will not be able to leave the restaurant with it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Disneyland Paris serves some alcoholic beverages and I never saw a problem when I was there. In fact I've never seen an issue with drunk guests at any Disney park that serves liquor. IMO if people want to get drunk they will somewhere else and come to MK.
    Jeff Wayne

• WDW will always be home.

As someone who enjoys a good beer, and enjoys attending F&W at Epcot for that very reason, I think this is horrible. I'm aware of the restrictions on its sale/consumption, but why have it at all in the first place?? It's completely unnecessary and goes against Walt's express wishes. Alcohol should not be served in the MK or MK style parks with the exception of Club 33. Outside of DLP, that's how it's always been and always should be, and the only reason WDW is changing it now is for the bottom line. They certainly won't be getting any more $$ from me out of this. Not at MK.

Choose which way you want it, Disney. Do you care about Walt's legacy or not? Because this bullcrap of trying to tie Walt to everything from DHS to DAK to the Cruise Line and a million other things he has absolutely nothing to do with in order to give them more legitimacy, while simultaneously flying in the face of his specific, unambiguous, recorded wishes doesn't fly. Either live up to Walt or stop putting on this farcical show of pretending you care about him at all. You can't have it both ways.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

It's not like a bar, it's for casual dinner drinking. The likelihood that we'll see problems with drunk people are very slim.

Why is it okay for DLP to have it, but the ones in the states are forbidden? They fulfilled his legacy by allowing it in parks outside the country? Doesn't that contradict the point?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Why is it okay for DLP to have it, but the ones in the states are forbidden? They fulfilled his legacy by allowing it in parks outside the country? Doesn't that contradict the point?
    I never said it was OK for DLP to have it. Prior to this announcement DLP was the only MK-style park to offer alcohol outside of Club 33. Now there's one more. With DLP it was claimed that it was a business necessity in order to be successful in Paris and respect the cultural realities there. I don't like it, but fair enough, especially given the resort's debt problems. None of that is true in MK. This is purely a $$$ move. Nothing more. It's TWDC spitting on Walt's memory to pad the bottom line a little. And it's likely the start of a slippery slope.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Not here to help

Atleast people donīt smoke all over the place like in Disneyland Paris or pee all over the park like in Hong Kong Disneyland.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Walt didn't want alcohol in the parks because the thought it would bring rowdiness. The price of the beer prohibits the rowdiness lol

My attitude towards "It a money move" doesn't concern me. A company is supposed to find ways to increase profits, not sit there and look pretty.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 09-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Well, why did Walt not want alcohol in the parks?
    Walt was quoted in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney
    No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax.
    Obviously, people can agree or disagree with Walt's reasoning, but that's irrelevant. The question isn't, "Is alcohol good or bad?" The question is, "Should TWDC respect Walt's wishes?" TWDC voluntary choose not to sell alcohol at MK-style parks as a symbolic measure of respect for Walt. They're now choosing to forego that restriction. It's hard to see that as anything other than, "We don't care about respecting Walt's wishes anymore because we can make more money this way."
    -Walt Disney

The one thing we don't know is if Walt would've changed his mind about it. An important thing to consider is the public's change in opinion on beer and alcohol. It's important to consider the demand for it. I remember a lot of guests were asking where they can find some beer or wine. Theres demand and it's their responsibility to adjust to demands. It's not a disregard towards walt Walt, they're doing what Walt did frequently - adjust and change things according to what the public was looking for.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

My attitude towards "It a money move" doesn't concern me. A company is supposed to find ways to increase profits, not sit there and look pretty.
    It would undoubtedly be very profitable for Disney to offer pay-per-view adult content in the resort rooms as well. There are a near infinite number of things that Disney could do to increase profits. The challenge for Disney, and all companies, is growing profits while remaining true to their core competencies and values. The primary reason that Bob Iger chose to shut down Pleasure Island was because he didn't want a "night club" type atmosphere associated with a Disney vacation. Disney sold Miramax Pictures because they didn't want Miramax's harder-edged films associated with TWDC anymore. Those were both instances of choosing values over profits. The fact that they're doing the opposite when it comes to honoring Walt's wishes says a lot about where Disney is as a company. Nothing new, sadly, but it's one more way that Disney is distancing itself from its founder.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Don't like it at all. And based on a lot of choices Disney has been making, I have little faith....or pixie dust.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast