Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mr Test Track

Great Movie Ride Update

This isn't a rumor, I would just like to hear your opinions.

If Disney was to update the Great Movie Ride, what would you like to see in it?
    Trips to WDW / DLR

Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

Re: Great Movie Ride Update

I think it needs quite a bit of updating. I know the film at the end gets long and annoying after a while.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Just replace the whole thig with Disney movies starting with steam boat willey, then snow white, onward through Disney movie history
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Nic

I feel like if it were updated, it'd become a giant commercial, with cheap animatronics.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Disneyland Original '55

Muppet Great Movie Ride, if anything.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Nutty about Disney parks

Yes, it needs updating.

No, plastering Disney or Pixar or Muppets all over the ride is not the answer.

This ride may very well be the last representation/homage to classic 20th Century cinema in the Disney Parks and I think it should stay that way. Cinema now is all about CGI and franchises. People are forgetting what classic movies used to be like. We need this ride to remind them. Shift around some of the scenes and effects. Maybe do something different with the ending and it can still be a good ride.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

The problem is, is that this attraction would be a massive people eater. It needs to be a draw... and it needs to be seen, but sadly is hidden by that D%MN hat!

• Bangarang!

I was about to say that they can't really add much without messing with the chronology of the movies, but doesn't it jump about anyway?
    If it is in strict order (Not that I'm suggesting this addition), but you couldn't really have a scene from Cameron's Avatar right next to Casablanca...

Anyway I guess Tarzan would be the best candidate for replacement, if not solely for the amount of space it would yield. You could probably get a few more vignettes in that space.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Characters are my friends

Nothing. Just needs to update the AAs and the finale film. I like the scenes that are currently there
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• King of Los Angeles

If I were in charge, they'd build the rumored Carthay Facade and make it a true into to Disney Studios - change the ride system to something more interactive like Spider-Man at IOA so that you can truly experience the movies. I'd also start with Snow White since its at the Carthay, then 20,000 Leagues, Mary Poppins, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Muppet Movie, Roger Rabbit, Tron (either one) Pirates, Toy Stoy, Avengers, and Alice. The Disney company now has 4, Billion dollar franchises. They should lead with their strong foot to set the tone for the park.

• formerly very helpful

Personally, I love the movie at the end, so I don't want to see it shorter, but I do see the need to update it with more current flicks.
    I think there are a few movies that have been made since the ride first opened - and some olders - which could be inserted somehow, based on their overall impact to the film industry.

I know there's Star Tours, but Star Wars was significant enough to sci-fi movies that it should be represented. Rocky. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Schindler's List. ET. (I know it's Universal, but I'm just spitballing here) Lord of the Rings. Forrest Gump. Citizen Kane. Stanley Kubrick, ALfred Hitchcock. George Melies should all be included somehow. I know not all of these ideas could be incorporated without really changing the whole attraction, but you get the idea.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Either that or pick 1 iconic movie a decade and go through 100 years of film making. Or for the 100 year anniversary of snow white do 100 years of Disney films

• Minion

ORWEN: It really does need to be updated to keep guests coming back. They need to add a scene from The Black Cauldron, too, because that's the only movie I was ever in and it would mean so much to me if they would do that.

ORGOCH: Thought the idea was ta bring in more guests--not scare 'em away!!!

I agree the ride needs some great updating, but maybe with replacing old movies with other old movies. As I read in "Realityland", one scene that proved very problematic was the first scene, themed to "Footlight Parade". Here's what the book said:

The ride's most problematic scene was its first, an extravagant set piece from Busby Berkeley's musical "Footlight Parade", featuring dozens of 1930s bathing beauties rotating on a gigantic, five-tiered cake, as fountains of water shot forth and bubbles filled the room. Rarely could Imagineering get all the effects working simultaneously. As the years went on, they would gradually give up on the scene, first by covering the cake with a partially-see-through scrim, then by removing the art deco details and showgirls on diving boards that led up to the cake, and by turning off the fanciful lighting, fountains, bubble machine, and the cake's rotating mechanism.

So perhaps we should just get rid of this problematic scene and replace it with something else. The question is, what?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Bangarang!

^Good question, but I'm surprised they couldn't figure out a solution more recently. Surely it'd be easier to fix than the Yeti.

I can just about remember the bubbles filling the air as you entered the attraction. Cheap effect and yet it worked as it sort of signalled that you were on a fun adventure into the movies.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast