Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• -

Re: Princesses to look like CP look

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I mean, what are they going to do next, go back into the movies and reanimate Belle's hair to look curly and untamed, and put flyaways in Cinderella's and Jasmine's perfectly groomed coiffures?
    When did Lucas start working for Disney?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

I like the change, do not see how it looks demeaning or hoochie, and think that they actually look more like the teenagers they're supposed to be rather than their original designs.

Photo Via jdhilger

• I'm from Canada eh!

Once again another over-reaction to a non-issue. Under this logic, Mickey Mouse or Donald duck would still look like they did in the 1940’s.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    ROFL

I'm okay with these Princess changes, though I do thinkJasmine received the worst costume changes, with Aurora's new look being 2ndworse.

As for hair, they're a little wavier, more romantic and younger looking. I'venever liked Cinderella's hair in merchandise. I believe I own one of the fewitems ever sold where she and her hair look identical to the movie. Her hairwas dark strawberry blonde in the movie, so if they now want to change it fromhoney blonde to platinum within their merchandise, okay by me... might as wellkeep it consistently incorrect.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Word is from my friends, who are "friends" w/ certain toons, that the Princesses (and Princes?) WILL be going to the new Lady Of The Night/Snooki look done by Consumer Products. If this comes to pass I AM DONE. Walt Disney's Cinderella does NOT have matty hair like she just got outta bed and Eisner's Belle does NOT have a come hither look w/ Housewives hair.......This will destroy our childhood memories more than any closed ride.

Attachment 23881Attachment 23882

I see what you are saying. I don't like that look.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    IDK, when did Captain Eo come out?

• Queen Elsa

I've seen the new drawings of Cinderella,Ariel,Belle & Aurora and I like them. If you look there the only 4 they really change the rest look the same. I've been trying to fine pictures or anything of the new look for Aurora and Ariel. The new shirt I had made of Belle I had though it was the new look for her. That is how much I want some pics of the new look to them.

Well, to notice the minor changes in a doll, thats fine. To say you like or dont like the changes, thats fine too. BUT, to say your "done with Disney" because Cinderella parts her hair now, well, thats abserd ! You either have found new interests , or you were never that big of a Disney fan in the first place. Things change, get over it, and move on.....sheesh.....Just one Disney freaks opinion, nothing too personal.....lol

• Princess in her own mind!

The part that really bothers me is that this decision to change the princesses' appearance (whether that change makes it into the parks or just stays on merchandise) seems to only have been based on the of-European-descent princesses (+Jasmine). Tiana and Pocahontas just had glitter applied to their typical costume and Mulan only recently seemed to have gotten a crap-ton of glitter and jewels thrown all over her to where she looks ridiculous in comparison to the others. Whether I like the changes made to Belle, Aurora, Ariel, Snow White doesn't really matter, I do admit they are still pretty, in the light that those changes seem to exclude the princesses of color I have to protest it's continuation. If they were trying to modernize the girls' looks, why didn't they modernize ALL of their looks?!?! I think the answer to my own question could be that they were afraid of the repercussions of changing certain princesses' outfits. To explain, let's look at Pocahontas and Mulan.

My criticism of Mulan's new appearance is that it completely disregards her personality as depicted in the film, in addition to her physical appearance in the film. What does drowning her in sparkles do to her title of Warrior Princess?! I'm not saying that the girl can't wear gems like the rest of them. But when you think of Mulan you think of her strength and spirit and I don't think that is reflected in this new incarnation of her appearance at all. The outfit she wore previously isn't just better because she was wearing it in the film, it's better because it reminds of the journey she took and lessons she learned.

I think my conclusion is even further seen in the treatment of Pocahontas; her appearance is basically the same in this updated version of Disney's go-to-girls. [I won't go into how I feel about her typical appearance (or lack thereof) on typical merchandise here because that's another argument.] If you haven't seen Pocahontas 2: Journey to a New World (and most likely you haven't) you probably only recognize her in the one outfit she wears throughout her film. However in the sequel, she dons a dress of typical-for-the-time-period European standards. Although the sequel was by far of lesser quality than its predecessor and didn't do so well by way of sales (and you can tell I have a soft spot for the film because most who have seen it would have far harsher words), Disney has recently acknowledged its existence by putting it into a Blu-ray combo pack. With this in mind, I wonder why the people in charge of these new design alterations didn't put our Indigenous Princess into her sequel mode apparel? Again, I have a potential answer to that question as well: because it wouldn't reflect the Pocahontas that we watch and grow to love in the film. If you saw Pocahontas in this dress (especially if you've never seen the sequel) you would be taken aback at who that was supposed to be. Is that the girl that "run[s] the hidden pine trails of the forest," painting with all the colors of the wind?! I certainly wouldn't initially recall that this is the girl that jumped off of a cliff in her first scene if I saw that dress and powdered face!

In conclusion, to me, this decision to "update" the princess look represents more than just a different look for the girls we've seen all our lives. I'm not going to say that this choice was solely racist because even though these alterations weren't equal across the color line, I don't think the intention was to segregate the princesses by color and only give the European girls glitter and a new hair-do (because that would be racist). Instead, I think this is another way Disney is being really rash in its recent marketing decisions, not thinking of how it really reflects on the characters they've created and on the company itself. In the end, I think if they are going to go through with these changes, they could at least consider the characters' characters and what they mean for people who admire those girls' because of their spirits and not just for their appearance.

(And for God's sake, please tone down on the glitter!!!)

• Just drawn that way

It's a marketing thing. Happens all the time....they test something out. It's hit or miss, and most likely to be replaced the next season or with the next fads.

• Small World Ninja

Cinderella is the first princess to get the new look, and right now her new wig/costume is scheduled to hit the parks in October.

Sadly, Disney does not test. They spend buttloads of money on something (like very expensive costumes and wigs...you'd be shocked how much those dresses cost) and make it go whether people like it or not. We'll all be able to judge in person just how off the new parks look is very soon.

I was told the other princesses will have new looks in time for the new princess locations to open in Disneyland and MK.

• -

I'm not that upset by this. There are worse looks they could have used:

"You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallWorldNinja View Post
    Cinderella is the first princess to get the new look, and right now her new wig/costume is scheduled to hit the parks in October.

Sadly, Disney does not test. They spend buttloads of money on something (like very expensive costumes and wigs...you'd be shocked how much those dresses cost) and make it go whether people like it or not. We'll all be able to judge in person just how off the new parks look is very soon.

I was told the other princesses will have new looks in time for the new princess locations to open in Disneyland and MK.
    Assuming this is true... And it does mesh with what my friends who are CMs have told me about how these things generally happen...
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

These designs will be everywhere soon, including on park meet & greet characters. To be honest, it's quite well known already. I'm surprised some of you are doubting this story.
    -Bill

• Closed Account

Cannot believe they're going to destory teh classic looks that truly represent how they look on film. Now we will have Real Housewives of Disney instead. A true disgrace. Snow white does NOT or EVER WILL have a sparkly dress, w/ sidebow, and be capeless!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast