Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Belle's Enchanted Mirror - How it works and the secrets behind the magic

Quote Originally Posted by NautiMatt View Post
    I'm assuming that until the action starts when cast members ask guests to step back a certain distance, anyone can go up to the wall to touch and closely inspect it. Canvas would be an impossible material to use in such a situation.
    No, they keep everyone back.. the the base of the wall is semi-obscured with props.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

The mirror (to me) looks like the same technology as the "mirror" as TOT.
    If you watch in the top portion of the mirror (mainly right side), you can still see the "light fixtures"...when the "doors open" due to the "light fixtures" still being projected, it kinda ruins the effect because you can see that the projected area is splitting in two (the way the "light fixtures" "disappear". Hard to explain.
    As far as the mirror going down and expanding. I think flynnibus has it, then again I haven't watched it over and over and I trust his observation of the events.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 09-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Pilot EdForceOne

In the videos often you can watch things because you can see their reflections. This is also in part why I think the projector for the mirror surface is behind the glass.

As for seeing it open, I think the animation does a good job of selling it as doors actually opening. In fact at first I thought it was paneling swinging backwards because the wooden door animation sells it so well

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Flynnibus... I can confirm that your description is 100% accurate.
    -Bill

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Flynnibus... I can confirm that your description is 100% accurate.
    Sweetness! Deduction and study for the win!

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think that the walls are real, they are just a light-weight as well is the frame, although I bet the fame will have some kind of coating added the guests don't scuff it up with shoes or with wheel chair. The way I think they do it is walls push out behinde the buckhead than just one sheet of glass, probaly a oneway pain of glass, flys either up or to one of the sides once the animation stops. You to remember they will be having guests occuping the room for a while and they will figure out the wall is canvis pritty quickly. I would just hate if the glass shatters, That could shut down the attraction for a while. The imgineers would have thought about it and I think they needed to use materials that would endure in a guest que area.
    Just like for the Tower of Terror (IDK about the one at WDW) but at DCA all the iteams in the room were built to be touched by guests. This mirror/doorway is no difference. I would expect there to be a problem on opening day with this attraction.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I think that the walls are real, they are just a light-weight as well is the frame, although I bet the fame will have some kind of coating added the guests don't scuff it up with shoes or with wheel chair
    Guests aren't allowed near the wall. The base of the wall is also obstructed with props (barrels, things sitting on them, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    The way I think they do it is walls push out behinde the buckhead than just one sheet of glass, probaly a oneway pain of glass, flys either up or to one of the sides once the animation stops. You to remember they will be having guests occuping the room for a while and they will figure out the wall is canvis pritty quickly. I would just hate if the glass shatters, That could shut down the attraction for a while. The imgineers would have thought about it and I think they needed to use materials that would endure in a guest que area.
    The glass moves out of the way before the animation stops. Any glass would be made of tempered glass, which makes it extremely durable as long as you protect the edges. For an example of just how durable tempered glass is.. check out this video. The glass can literally take the weight of a person.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Dreamer

If I had too much money, I'd build this mirror into my bedroom to access a walk-in wardrobe.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    If I had too much money, I'd build this mirror into my bedroom to access a walk-in wardrobe.
    buhaha.. that's funny

Am I evil? yes, I am

It's MAGIC!!! Heehhehehehehe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12