Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    MK's Pirates ride is already a contrived addition that really only erodes the original attraction.
    Not really. The idea of the Florida Pirates is that it's cutting out the middleman of the other versions that is the time travel.

The fort you enter is the one in the ride and before they drowned it out with movie music, you could hear the soldiers preparing for battle against the pirates. The guests are directed to the boat dock to evacuate the fort, the boats taking you through an old cavern full of dead men not telling tales, and then you drop right off to the sea-side of the fort.

*Passport to Dreams Old & New: The Case for the Florida Pirates

A detour to Murmaider Island is more damaging to this flow of show then all the other movie stuff forced in there.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Closed Account

Mermaids do NOT tie into the nature of the attraction because the entire attraction is reality based. There is NO fantasy in PoC. We're going back in time to see how real 1700s pirates lived and fought at sea. Ridculous to claim that mythological figures, not to mention waterfalls w/ faces on them, fit...

Then what about the pirate skeletons that are magically moving and steering rafts in the beginning? That's not part of my reality...

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeJackRunn View Post
    Then what about the pirate skeletons that are magically moving and steering rafts in the beginning? That's not part of my reality...
    True & neither is the skeleton that is drinking. Time travel itself isn't reality.

If the addition is very discreet I don't mind. Like you seeing their shadows on the walls of the cave or something like that.

From what I've heard (and I don't have sources, just speculation) they will probably be more desecrate than the other additions. The attraction is reality with a touch of fantasy. If they add the mermaids and incorporate them the right way, it could possibly add a little "mystique" to the attraction.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    From what I've heard (and I don't have sources, just speculation) they will probably be more desecrate than the other additions. The attraction is reality with a touch of fantasy. If they add the mermaids and incorporate them the right way, it could possibly add a little "mystique" to the attraction.
    a concept drawing shows the mermaids on the edge of the water with a projection background in the cave wall (think Nemo...) of the lighthouse
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Where did you get the concepts?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    Honestly you just sound like a purist that doesn't want the ride to change any from what it was in the beginning... but this isn't Citizen Kane, the ride isn't sacred its just entertainment.
    Films are entertainment. Books are entertainment. Plays are entertainment. Music is entertainment. Dance is entertainment. But they all can be art. Why is this not true of built storytelling? Why are the very fans of themed entertainment so often the first to try and knock it down towards nothingness?

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    POTC doesn't have a storyline, imo, at least not in the ride; you basically go through random scenes related to Pirates.
    As stated, there is a narrative structure to Pirates of the Caribbean. It is not a deliberate, three act structure as Disney has become fond, but the narrative is there to be read. What the attraction lacks is some big ridiculous backstory that prescribes a specific for each instance. There is no Imagineering coffee table book which will give us the Auctioneer's name and history, that is left for us, but is not of concern for the morality tale that is at the heart of Pirates of the Caribbean.

I think somewhere right after the drop would fit the mermaids great, it's a quick area that has a lot of deadspace. I could see the boat starting to shake, and the noise the mermaids make sounding. It's be as if the mermaids were coming after you.
    "Deadspace" implies that the area had some intention that for some reason or another was not attained. I would imagine what you perceive as dead was intentionally designed as part of the build up to the big reveal of the ongoing battle.

Don't badmouth something before you see the final product
    Based on this logic, architects should build a concept before deciding its a bad scheme. This is also more about ideas that aesthetics, as so many of these issues are, thus there is no need to wait and see because the issue cannot be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    MK's Pirates ride is already a contrived addition that really only erodes the original attraction.
    For the win!

Man, I really hope they don't screw things up.

I don't mind it if it's done the right way.
    I thought they would add Jack Sparrow properly, but that was not done. I'll have faith when Disney offers proof I should have faith in their adjustments to the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeJackRunn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    True & neither is the skeleton that is drinking. Time travel itself isn't reality.
    These are slight twists as part of a longer unfolding narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    If the addition is very discreet I don't mind. Like you seeing their shadows on the walls of the cave or something like that.
    This nonsense gets brought up constantly. What is the point if it is not obvious? Why spend the money? Why add the element? They would not be a detail, as they do not further the story being told. Just ornament for the sake of ornament, regardless of its role in the overall structure.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    On Disaster-watch.
    right behind you too. ughh if it is true. for now it is a rumor and i will take with a grain of salt

• Nic

I feel like it will be a small change, if anything. They're adding the update overnight, so it really can't be that big, unless they have everything set up, and just need to add it in.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Yeah, I agree with you. It's not really bothering me for some reason. I've actually heard that they've been doing some work after hours. Some people on other forums claim to see a black curtain of some type where the old talking skull was. Not sure if anyoen can confirm that though.

I have a feeling that it will be relatively minor compared to the rest of the crap they added.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Member of Baxter's Army

To be honest I would be more upset if this were happening at Disneyland and i am saying this with WDW as my "Home" resort.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I feel like it will be a small change, if anything. They're adding the update overnight, so it really can't be that big, unless they have everything set up, and just need to add it in.
    I have a feeling that it will be relatively minor compared to the rest of the crap they added.
    Then why bother? Why not use the money to instead finish upgrading the audio system or put it towards any number of better uses?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Mermaids do NOT tie into the nature of the attraction because the entire attraction is reality based. There is NO fantasy in PoC. We're going back in time to see how real 1700s pirates lived and fought at sea. Ridculous to claim that mythological figures, not to mention waterfalls w/ faces on them, fit...
    POTC is not a realistic representation of Pirates. If it were, it would not be suitable for child audiences!
    Jeff Wayne

• -

I'm sorry, but the thread title is misleading. This has in no way been confirmed by the blog. All they said was that something from Pirates 4 was coming to the ride, but not what it was.

I just wish they would stop with adding movie stuff to the ride. It was better without it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast