Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

The long rumored Mermaid addition to the POTC ride in the MK is about to be confirmed by the Disney Park's blog

They posted a teaser today...
    Ahoy! Changes Are Afoot at Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom Park Disney Parks Blog

To be followed up later.

The assumption is they will be turned up during the upcoming one day rehab on the calendar.

Given both parks have followed with the POTC movie additions.. one has to wonder if DL's will get this in the near future as well.

What do you think?

Personally I think it's another contrived addition that really only erodes at the original attraction and is a misguided 'plussing' that ultimately will make the attraction weaker.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    What do you think?
    I think it's jumping the gun to assume that the upcoming change is mermaid-based.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Shall we see what Disney is actually working on before making opinions on if it's going to be misguided or weak. I rather enjoyed the last movie upgrades and do really hope the rumoured addition of AA's Mermaids is true. Also very impressed that WDW is making enhancements to one of its attractions.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I think it's jumping the gun to assume that the upcoming change is mermaid-based.
    The addition of mermaids has been rumored for 6+ months now.. and all but confirmed by insider sources. It's only been a question of 'when'. In addition, we've seen the work done in the caves while the attraction was still open.

And lastly, the article points to 'On Stranger Tides' - where the mermaids were introduced in the franchise.

True there are other things introduced in the movie.. the chick.. fountain of youth.. the spanish.. blackbeard.. but all of those would be much greater additions to fit in.. and we already have the long, long, trail of mermaid fins.

A few hours will tell.. and I'm betting the bank

Am I evil? yes, I am

I believe the mermaids will only enhance the attraction. While they made a huge impact in the 4th film, the addition of mermaids would have been appropriate wether or not they were in the movies. Mermaids are a HUGE part of pirate lore and a welcome addition in my opinion!
    Last edited by SeeJackRunn; 09-19-2012 at 08:29 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

any good story keeps on topic and advances the characters or plots. The mermaids will do neither IMO... and should end up on the cutting room floor like so many scenes that 'fit' a movie, but are edited out because they detract from the focus or pace of the film.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SeeJackRunn View Post
    I believe the mermaids will only enhance the attraction. While they made a huge impact in the 4th film, the addition of mermaids would have been appropriate wether or not they were in the movies. Mermaids are a HUGE part of pirate lore and a welcome addition in my opinion!
    I was going to say pretty much this. I'm not sure where they'd fit in, especially where they might fit in DL's, but as far as I'm concerned, mermaids and pirates have always gone together. Would I want them to have their own scene/room? Perhaps not, but as long as things are not being removed in favor of mermaids, I'm remaining open-minded.

• Minion

I'm excited to see what it is!
    Jeff Wayne

• Banned User

any good story keeps on topic and advances the characters or plots. The mermaids will do neither IMO... and should end up on the cutting room floor like so many scenes that 'fit' a movie, but are edited out because they detract from the focus or pace of the film.
    How do they detract from the focus or pace of the ride? I remember the ride before any movie was made, remember when the ride was only at Disneyland... and even if there was never a movie I don't see that adding mermaids would be a distraction... the whole ride was always a fantasy land view of what pirates might have been like.... would we also need to go into the Peter Pan ride and remove the mermaids from there too?

Honestly you just sound like a purist that doesn't want the ride to change any from what it was in the beginning... but this isn't Citizen Kane, the ride isn't sacred its just entertainment.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    How do they detract from the focus or pace of the ride? I remember the ride before any movie was made, remember when the ride was only at Disneyland... and even if there was never a movie I don't see that adding mermaids would be a distraction... the whole ride was always a fantasy land view of what pirates might have been like.... would we also need to go into the Peter Pan ride and remove the mermaids from there too?

Honestly you just sound like a purist that doesn't want the ride to change any from what it was in the beginning... but this isn't Citizen Kane, the ride isn't sacred its just entertainment.
    The lead in to the attraction is the Eire foreboding.. a setup including the deaths and crimes of the pirates to cover their tracks.. and the fear and wrath of the sea. It's about the pirates, their cuthrought nature, the sea.. and the common tale of 'dead men tell no tales' of the pirates killing each other to cover their own tracks. This is all about the pirates, their treasure, and their greed.

How does inserting mermaids advance any of those concepts? When are the mermaids going to be woven into the rest of the attraction? They aren't.. they are just orphans in the tale. They are there to be there, not to contribute to the tale.

Peter Pan is an entirely different story and the mermaids there have nothing to do with POTC and it's tale being told. In Peter Pan, the mermaids illustrate the 'popularity' of Peter Pan, the jealously over him, and his boyish nature to just kind of overlook them. Their presence in the story advances the understanding of the Peter Pan character.

In Stranger Tides, the role of the mermaid is to show the compassion of Phillip - a character not even in the POTC ride. The mermaids represent a new villain, much like the kraken was in the earlier films - but their villan role is to represent a challenge and action in the plot of the fountain... again.. threads not represented at all in the attraction.

Just because they exist in the POTC universe - doesn't mean they fit interchangeably in any story line. Here, they do nothing to advance the story about pillaging a town, the curse of greed, or the characters in the attraction.

They are dead weight.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Nic

POTC doesn't have a storyline, imo, at least not in the ride; you basically go through random scenes related to Pirates.

Mermaids relate to Pirates, and could be greatly integrated in the ride if done well. It's not like they're going to adding Ariel.

I think somewhere right after the drop would fit the mermaids great, it's a quick area that has a lot of deadspace. I could see the boat starting to shake, and the noise the mermaids make sounding. It's be as if the mermaids were coming after you.

Don't badmouth something before you see the final product
    Last edited by Chesire; 09-19-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Inappropriate

Personally I think it's another contrived addition that really only erodes at the original attraction and is a misguided 'plussing' that ultimately will make the attraction weaker.
    MK's Pirates ride is already a contrived addition that really only erodes the original attraction.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Member of Baxter's Army

On Disaster-watch.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    POTC doesn't have a storyline, imo, at least not in the ride; you basically go through random scenes related to Pirates.
    BZZZT

It's not random at all. There is a narrative and tale told in the attraction. Too bad it's been mangled by jack sparrow.

I bang my head on the wall everytime someone says pirates and HM are just random.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Mermaids relate to Pirates, and could be greatly integrated in the ride if done well
    They do? Why? Because Disney put them in a movie together?

Mermaids are tales about the sea and sailors.. not necessarily tied to pirates.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Man, I really hope they don't screw things up.

I don't mind it if it's done the right way.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast