Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: The Concept for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    If DAK were allowed to fully explore it's original concept of a park filled with animals real, extinct and imagined, as it says on the plaque, it could be a wonderful park.
    I think that the imaginary animal idea is great! I would separate it into another land, but it is a Disney concept. I think Walt would have placed himself in the shoes of a child. Children love animals, but they also have imaginations. They can see themselves talking to animals, flying with birds, and encountering mythical creatures. It is all the same to them. The whole family could enjoy that.

I think that including imaginative animals and more imagination in DAK would work well. It would put it past the glorified zoo concept, to which I have seen guests react very negatively.

I also agree that the Dinoland concept, which is an excuse to put up cheap games of chance to get more money, weakens the Animal theme.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• meganmegaphone

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    What is the park wanting to say? Disney needs to justify its creative decisions. Why animals? Why zoology? What do they have to do with Disney, and why are they more important than: astronomy; biology; anthropology; botany; chemistry; etc.?
    Because biology is (well... now was) covered in Epcot. Because astronomy is to an extent covered in both Epcot and Tomorrowland. And because botony just isn't all that interesting. Sorry

Ok, so I'll agree here... anthropology would be very interesting. There's a little bit of it if you think about the World Showcase pavillions... man, in different parts of the world creating different cultures, and then the guest exploring and compareing them. Personally, I'd like to see a journey back through the great civilizations of the past. Throw in some archaeology...

Oh... and one more thing...

What about Palentology?
    Though I'll admit the dinosaur dig playground and dino-land is...well... ech, hem... shall we say lacking.

But back to your post...

Again, you claim the park actually is a zoo. I suggest for a stark look into what Animal Kingdom would be if it WERE a zoo to visit the San Diego Wild Animal Park. The park is run by the San Diego Zoo. There are no other attractions. There is minimal theming except that which has been planted for the animal habitat. There is a trammed safari ride, but one hardly ever sees any of the animals on it due to the extreme distance from them. Ironically, they also sell this as more of a park though it has only one attraction: the safari tram. However, I will argue that the SDWAP is a zoo. So... to review: SDWAP: no "rides"... DAK: Numerus attractions, a new E-ticket, gorgeous theming= "nah-ta-zu"

And I rest my case.

For now
    Last edited by iluvstitch; 01-09-2006 at 01:51 AM.

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

Thumbs up Re: The Concept for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Hello,

I have one child, and he loves Disney films, especially "Lion King", so i bought him animal plates and also for my sisters kids and they love the product. The plates are durable and 100% microwave, oven and food safe. Really, an original gift idea!!!

The thing is that we love only animals Disney films!!!

• Banned User

Disney's Animal Kingdom is the last "amazing" park Disney paid to build. The theming is amazing, it just needs some more attractions and it will be fine! Oh, and a nightly lagoon show.

• Screenwriter for NLF

I think the way AK is designed is incredible. And the Animal exhibits are phenom! It is still a baby park if you think about it and still needs a lot more attractions to draw people in. People spend the same amount of money on AK as they do the big parks, and they can finish the park in nearly half a day. I think AK has a lot of potential, if we give it time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.newlineagefilms.com

• Banned User

animal kingdom was designed and built for one reason and one reason only, to stop people from going to tampa to busch gardens and keep them on the resort. Busch Gardens has been in tampa for years and successfully integrates thrill rides and animals, and it only an hour or so drive from the happiest place on earth. but it was taking people away from mickey mouse and like MGM was built to compete with Universal Studios the only other competitor in Eisner's eyes was anheiser busch, so.... animal kingdom. my opinion,, busch does it better.

• e komo mai

I don't consider DAK a failed park in the least. It has a wonderful, immersive theme, the animals are amazing and the attractions are fun. I think Beastly Kingdom is a failed land, but I think if Everest is a hit, they may rethink expanding that idea. There are other failed Disney parks, this is not one of them.

• Screenwriter for NLF

But with all the rising park costs, don't you think for a Zoo AK is a little pricey? I'm not saying Busch Gardens isn't either, they all are. But I'm just thinking since AK is about half the park right now, no offense intended I like it too, maybe it shouldn't cost the same as the other parks. And I'll scream if anyone uses the tag line: " Animal Kingdom, it's a lot of things but it'snotazoo!" LOL

• e komo mai

Personally, I think all the parks are 'too pricey'. But that's just me maybe.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

What is the park wanting to say? Disney needs to justify its creative decisions. Why animals? Why zoology? What do they have to do with Disney, and why are they more important than: astronomy; biology; anthropology; botany; chemistry; etc.?
    How are animals not Disney? Fiction to reality is not a large jump.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Is it any wonder that people think of Disney's Animal Kingdom as a glorified zoo?

Animals are fairly limited subject matter for a Disney theme park.
    No they are not very limited. Hell give me a ride and I'll love it. Point being...a ride. Not a walking tour. As someone who is not an animal fan I'd love AK if it was all omnimovers past animal displays. I dont care what it is if I am riding by it. But for walking. No. Hence why I think AK needs more strait up rides...not just "attractions".

• Screenwriter for NLF

<<<Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    What is the park wanting to say? Disney needs to justify its creative decisions. Why animals? Why zoology? What do they have to do with Disney, and why are they more important than: astronomy; biology; anthropology; botany; chemistry; etc.?>>>

Just for the record, one of my favorite quotes is by one of the smartest men Albert Einstein. "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    http://www.newlineagefilms.com

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

DAK not a success? The numbers suggest otherwise.
    1. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Florida, 16.1 million, +6.5 percent
    2. Disneyland, California, 14.5 million, +8.5 percent
    3. Epcot at Walt Disney World, Florida, 9.9 million, +5.5 percent
    4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, Florida, 8.6 million, +5 percent
    5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Florida, 8.2 million, +5 percent
    6. Universal Studios, Florida, 6.1 million, -8.5 percent
    7. Disney's California Adventure, 5.8 million, +3.6 percent
    8. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, Florida, 5.76 million, -8.5 percent
    9. SeaWorld, Florida, 5.6 million, +0.2 percent
    10. Universal Studios, California, 4.7 million, -6 percent

It's more successful than any non-Disney park, and only saw 400,000 fewer guests than MGM did in 2005. I call that successful. Busch Gardens WISHES it could pull 8,200,000 guests through its gates...along with Sea World and Universal. To argue DAK is a failure is to argue everything besides the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland, and (possibly) Epcot are failures. That's a bit ridiculous.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Well the argument would be that people are not just going to DAK. People are planning to stay at WDW for something like a week and hit DAK because they have Park Hoppers for TMK, Epcot, and MGM. However, IMHO, this argument holds little water as WDW is about extended stays and not local one-day visits.

• meganmegaphone

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie Pueblo
    But with all the rising park costs, don't you think for a Zoo AK is a little pricey? I'm not saying Busch Gardens isn't either, they all are. But I'm just thinking since AK is about half the park right now, no offense intended I like it too, maybe it shouldn't cost the same as the other parks.
    But like was said (I think?) in a MA article a while back, to keep AK's price lower than the other parks, would be for Disney to say that it's less valuable, thus lowering its percieved value as well. This would in effect lower guest expectations and possibly even keep some people for visiting the park at all. Actually creating a 'failed park' situation/scenario.

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast