Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Self Congratulative

Re: The Concept for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    DAK not a success? The numbers suggest otherwise.

It's more successful than any non-Disney park, and only saw 400,000 fewer guests than MGM did in 2005.
    C'mon. You don't think that that has anything to do with the fact that the name "DISNEY's" comes before Animal Kingdom? I don't think vacationing families are going to spend $2,000+ to come to Disney and NOT get their money's worth by seeing everything. That attendance figure is residual attendance from the resort. If Animal Kingdom was by itself in some other place that wasn't a vacation conglomerate it wouldn't even make that list.

Personally I think the park is a great 3/4 of a day park. I think most people can agree that people do not come to see the animal exhibits more than once. It's cool the first time but doesn't create a euphoric sense of entertainment that rides or shows create.

The Magic Kingdoms have had yetis, sea serpents, and dragons long before D.A.K., so those elements in the latter park are, ultimately, redundant, while the factual orientation of D.A.K.'s zoological attractions is somewhat at odds with the mythical beasts that Disney thinks the park needs in order to differentiate it from zoos.

Disney would be better served by expanding the concept for D.A.K. beyond animals to: relate Homo sapiens to other animal species', including protohuman species'; relate the animal kingdom to other kingdoms of organisms; relate organisms to non-organic parts of the planet; relate planet Earth to the rest of the universe; and, relate Homo sapiens to its constituent parts. There's a story to tell that's not being told. Instead, Disney is relying on gimmicks that, ultimately, weaken the overall effect of the park. What's left are heavy-handed, awkward, and bizarre conservationist messages in one attraction after another.

Unicorns, griffins, and sasquatches do not fit well with a park that is necessarily about the natural sciences. The live animals in D.A.K. are not used as props in the same way that the live animals in The Magic Kingdoms are, so the overall effect D.A.K. strives to achieve needs to be something entirely different from that of The Magic Kingdoms.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    C'mon. You don't think that that has anything to do with the fact that the name "DISNEY's" comes before Animal Kingdom? I don't think vacationing families are going to spend $2,000+ to come to Disney and NOT get their money's worth by seeing everything. That attendance figure is residual attendance from the resort. If Animal Kingdom was by itself in some other place that wasn't a vacation conglomerate it wouldn't even make that list.

Personally I think the park is a great 3/4 of a day park. I think most people can agree that people do not come to see the animal exhibits more than once. It's cool the first time but doesn't create a euphoric sense of entertainment that rides or shows create.
    Really? Then compare DCA to Disneyland. People are actually smart enough to not visit parks that they don't like. Animal Kingdom is turning 8 years old this year, so most people who are visiting it now have already been there before and choose to visit. I'm not arguing that the same 8.2 million people who visited AK in 2005 weren't also going to the other parks, but I am arguing that people are choosing to go to that park just like they are choosing NOT to go to DCA--and DCA is even more convenient to DL than AK is to the other parks at WDW. I think Disney is very pleased with AK's performance, as they should be. Imagine what kind of numbers it will see once Everest opens. It has seen increases without having anything new since 2002, and without having any MAJOR expansions since 1999.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Minion

I'm glad I can enjoy Animal Kingdom without having to analyze everything about it. I love DAK, its my favorite park at WDW. I've been there at least 12 times, just got back a few weeks ago, and can't wait to go again. I can't get enough of those Cotton Top Tamarinds, or those Bats, or the Tigers, or the Giraffes, or the...well, you get the idea!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disneyland and WDW attendance figures fighting each other doesn't quite work. At every Resort worldwide the more popular of the parks is the Magic Kingdom park. Disneyland Resort is still, despite the Resort move, very much about locals. Walt Disney World Resort is about extended stays. The whole purpose of Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom is to make people stay longer. Can you honestly say that Epcot would bring in the same number of people if it wasn't at Walt Disney World? Epcot only brings in 61% of the Magic Kingdom's total attendance. If Epcot wasn't an addition to a visit to "Disney World" then wouldn't attendance be higher?

• Banned User

I must disagree... the fact of the matter is that it was built like it is... in other words, get over it. And yes, the Disney name is attached to it. But it has Disney quality theming. Disney's Animal Kingdom is an amazing park... it just needs more to do. DCA is an odd park... it's not really built correctly. There's no "escape from reality" that you get at Disneyland. AK is an escape... DCA isn't. And Busch Gardens definately isn't. Although, Busch Gardens is one heck of a park. Though, that's coming from a coaster lover. But the theming can't hold a candle to Disney's.

Agreed on that...just compare Rhino Rally to Kilimanjaro Safaris...no contest.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

ok as an employee of busch gardens i am going to say " what's this with busch bashing?" I happen to like rhino ralley more than khilamojaro safari and we have the coolest coasters on the west coast of florida!!! to me ak is simply a copy of an already established and well loved park. I was told imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I Find it tedious and redundant.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Best coasters on the west coast of Florida? How many big name parks are there to compete with on the Florida coast?

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Best coasters on the west coast of Florida? How many big name parks are there to compete with on the Florida coast?
    Cypris Gardens.....
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Lmao No kidding.

Dare I say Busch Gardens is the best theme park on the west coast of florida, too...Rhino Rally better than Kilimanjaro Safaris? Exactly when did Wendy's start sponsoring African safaris?
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Looking for the Mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart

I was staying out of this- but here goes. We are going to do our first family vacation to WDW in 34 days (but who's counting?) We used to live in Phoenix and had passes to DLAnd.

My family is THRILLED about DAK- we are members of our local zoo- always have been- love the aquariums and safari wildlife parks around the nation that we have been to, and here's real life---
    For this trip (8 days) we had to decide whether to be ALL DISNEY or a little of everything. We could have gotton better hotel deals and spent less money doing 'other parks' in addition to the Disney thing. I am a syndicated Radio personality who gets discount or free pass offers from 'other parks' to go there and promote it on the air (Not so with Disney- Paying FULL price)- and DAK was THE deciding factor in our decission.

The kids (I am the biggest KID) are excited about meeting Mickey (and Goofy in my case- maybe a long lost cousin- but I digress)- and going to Animal Kingdom.

Great idea for and hopefully- great execution of an original Disney theme park.

I'm sure everyone feels better knowing how I pick vacations...

By the WAY- Bill- why weren't you here on the last page telling cmash that this wasn't the "happiest place on earth"...
    You always tell me...lol

Mark Bee

• WDW FAN

Does anyone remember the "Natazu" commercials back in 2001-2002? lol

I happen to think that Disney's Animal Kingdom is a park unlike any other in the world. I really do not compare Busch Gardens and Animal Kingdom for several reasons. The most distinctive is that Busch is a thrill park, pure and simple. I love Busch Gardens, I thought it was a very nice and very interesting place to be, I consider it to be among the world's best.
    When I was down in Florida on the WDWCP, I made several visits to the Animal Kingdom, and I was impressed beyond all belief. I thought it was funny that when my parents came to visit me in December, I took them to AK, which was a park we skipped in 2000, and they couldn't believe that they had actually even considered skipping it. DAK has something other Disney parks only try to create, the separation from the real world. DAK goes a quantum leap past any other park, it is truely off the beaten path within the Walt Disney World Resort, the entire place feels like a giant jungle. That's what impresses me most, you step inside it's gates, and all of a sudden you forget that there is a world outside of the jungle.
    Kilmanjaro is great, I think the poaching aspect gets a little old after a few rides, but once you look past it and pay attention to the animals, it's breathtaking. The last time I rode it, a Giraffe nearly stuck it's head inside our truck, WOW!
    The Festival of the Lion King is by far my favorite show at WDW. It's creative, stunning, and fantastic. Dinosaur is a lot of fun, there is plenty of room for improvement, but it's still a good ride.
    I think DAK has some of the best and worst theming in the world, I love Africa, Asia, and half of Dinoland. However, Camp Minnie-Mickey and Dino-Rama could use some serious work!
    I absolutely love this park, and I think that it has more potential than any other Disney property. I really think it's Nahtazu, it's much, much, more!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast