Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Seven Seas Buffoon

Re: The Concept for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Just a test by a new member. Can't wait to weigh in on Eisner an AK though.....

• Banned User

Ummm, wrong forum for test posts. lol

• Just this guy......

I do not get out to WDW all that often, but two years ago I went to the Animal Kingdom for the first time are really enjoyed it. It was a great place to explore and found more than enough to do. Did I find the park perfect? No, there were a good number of things that I would like to see changed or improved, but when you compare it the San Diego Zoo’s wild animal park there is no contest.

Like all the Disney Parks I look forward to watching them build and improve DAK as the years go on.

• Disney Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    See, that's the thing... original stories and characters and rides aren't as marketable... and aren't going to do as well as a ride that at least has some existing fan base. Countdown to Extinction was built when Dinosaur was in production... same with "it's tough to be a bug." They knew they were for the movie tie in. And WDI doesn't always get things right. When AK was planned, they had no plans to have Disney Characters in the park, no plans for a parade or shows (save for flights of wonder) and no plans for much atmosphere entertainment. They figured the animals would be the entertainment. Forget the fact that most animals sleep during the day. LOL

To solve the problem, Walt Disney Entertainment was called in only seven months prior to the park's opening to fix all the problems that WDI left. The concept for Festival of the Lion King was invented. Theatre in the Wild was created. And all the African Entertainment was added as well.

That's a lot to do in 7 months... and no, Festival of the Lion King was not planned before that. Contrary to what you may have heard before, there were never plans to add it later on. Festival was going to go into Africa (just to the left of the Tusker House) but then the park's budget was cut and Beastlie Kingdome was cut only six months before opening, and a replacement land was needed. Walt Disney Entertainment basically moved the plans for the Festival of the Lion King into an entire temporary land called "Camp Minnie-Mickey" that Walt Disney Entertainment bascially built on its own. Pocahontas was created. And all of Camp Minnie Mickey was created in less than 6 months.

Meanwhile, (and much earlier) WDI had problems of its own. When they found out that "it's tough to be a bug" couldn't be made by PIXAR, they had to go to an outside company to have the film made. It almost didn't open on time with the park. Some of you might remember that during those AP previews for AK "it's tough to be a bug" wasn't open yet. That's basically why. The whole project was cut down to the wire.

And in Dinoland, they had even more problems. (earlier on of course) WDI wanted two major attractions in that area, a steel coaster designed to look like a wooden coaster... (gee, wonder where that went. lol) and a simulator attraction to take you back in time to the age of the Dinosaurs. They also had plans in the pipeline to build the Indiana Jones Adventure over at the Disney-MGM Stuidos in the parking lot. Execs stepped in and cancelled the project for Indy at the Studios, and they told WDI that Dinoland only needed one ride. Well... WDI threw out the coaster, took the idea for the simulator, and used a clone of Indy to carry it out instead of the next generation of Star Tours Motion Bases.

Then Asia (which was also in planning) was having problems. WDI wanted a Rapids ride there to be the tallest and longest in the world, and to have real tigers on the banks of the river. A little budget cut happened there.

Now, what's interesting is where Joe Rhode kept the money on all these projects. He refused to cut the budget on the theming. And he refuses to say that Beastlie Kingdome will never be built. And that's why AK is what it is today. The best themed Disney park in WDW, and with an interesting slew of great rides and shows that fall just a little short from being awesome. (Except Festival of the Lion King and Kilimanjaro Safaris, basically the only two things in the park that didn't have a budget cut... but there are some reasons for that) Festival was designed as a temporary show... so the budget was small to begin with. It didn't need to be trimmed. Kilimanjaro was the one attraction that WDI couldn't cut the budget on, it dealt with real animals and people, and you can't cut a budget on that or you'll have a Jurassic Park situation... then again, "we spared no expense." Ha.

great story, mind giving more details about The Excavator Coaster and the original plans for Tiger River Rapids?

• Banned User

Well, I could... but I think it might deserve its own thread... I'll start one up in a few days.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    great story, mind giving more details about The Excavator Coaster and the original plans for Tiger River Rapids?
    If you look at original concept art for Dinoland, you can see the Excavator in the background...it's a pity that they built Primeval Whirl instead. The Excavator would have made Dino-Rama something worthwhile...Cali Screamin' in Dinoland
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Primeval Whirl wasn't built instead of the Excavator. It was thrown in with the whole Dino-rama as filler attractions as Team Disney was desperate to keep people in the park.

But someone (I'll call him JR) once told me that the majority of Dinorama could be removed in 72 hours, so one never knows what the future holds.

As for the original Tiger River Rapids, it went from being what would have been the best, longest and most unique raft ride to one that has one good thing going for it -- its queue.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    As for the original Tiger River Rapids, it went from being what would have been the best, longest and most unique raft ride to one that has one good thing going for it -- its queue.
    This is something I never understood...they clearly spent a lot of money on the queue...why couldn't they spend some of that money on actually theming the ride? Imagine Grizzly River Run's ride system with Kali's queue theming...THAT would be a raft ride...I feel bad for those people waiting 80 minutes for Kali...what a let-down.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

^^Agreed. You have such anticipation after going thru an amazing queue and then ... a ho-hum, short, off-the-shelf raft ride. A very wasted opportunity. This park would have given TDS a run for its money if they had given Rohde the money to build what was planned. That it's as great as it is, is a tribute to him and his team at WDI.

^^Agreed. You have such anticipation after going thru an amazing queue and then ... a ho-hum, short, off-the-shelf raft ride. A very wasted opportunity. This park would have given TDS a run for its money if they had given Rohde the money to build what was planned. That it's as great as it is, is a tribute to him and his team at WDI.
    I know...it's very unfortunate that they have yet to build Beastlie Kingdomme...it would, no doubt, be incredible...give Dueling Dragons' queue a run for its money.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Disney Prince

This is so true. it could've been DAK > TDS or at least DAK=TDS.

Anyone have any info on the original "Circle Of Life" thesis show that was supposed to be inside The Tree of Life?

in my perfect world, WDW would have been made up of DLP's MK, Westcot, The "complete" Disney-MGM Studios, the "complete" DAK, and TDS

• Screenwriter for NLF

One of the main things that bothered me about the river rapids ride is you don't really get that wet. If you get lucky you can get a good drenching but most of it is just a little sprinkle here, and a sprinkle there. And I agree with most of you, especially on a hot day, after waiting in such a long line the ride is not worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    http://www.newlineagefilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie Pueblo
    One of the main things that bothered me about the river rapids ride is you don't really get that wet. If you get lucky you can get a good drenching but most of it is just a little sprinkle here, and a sprinkle there. And I agree with most of you, especially on a hot day, after waiting in such a long line the ride is not worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    http://www.newlineagefilms.com
    Well the wetness isn't all that much of an issue to me...it's similar to Splash. Every once in awhile, I get absolutely drenched on Splash...usually it's not too much, though. But, Splash has the amazing theming and story going for it, so if I come off pretty dry, it's no big deal.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Disney Prince

I think it's because Kali doesn't really make much sense. Great queue, horribly dissapointing ride. The Tigers thing could've been great.

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    I think it's because Kali doesn't really make much sense. Great queue, horribly dissapointing ride. The Tigers thing could've been great.
    I dunno..Kali makes sense to me, it's just a very simplistic story. You go on a rafting trip in Asia that is disrupted due to logging...clearly the message on logging is poignant enough, but that isn't enough to make a ride. It would have been far more effective to have all the tigers in the beginning (and other animals) to contrast the lack of any real life in the area being logged (a ride more than 2 minutes long would also help). The queue, in contrast to Expedition Everest, doesn't really have much of anything to do with the ride (other than explaining where the rafts come from).
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast