Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79
  1. #16

    •   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Posts
    65,641
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Can you please just stop. I do not get why you are always disparaging and belittling Magic Kingdom. Just because you think Disneyland is superior does not give you the right to say Magic Kingdom is terrible. Stop comparing Disneyland and Magic Kingdom and recognize them for what they are individually. Even now you are saying that it has stuff that is not in Disneyland. Why even bring it up? They are two totally different parks. Almost every single post of yours (it's hard to forget with that face as your profile) have something negative to say about Magic Kingdom. Why?
    Bold mine....

    We are a discussion board, and therefore people discuss not only facts, but opinions. And has to the statement bolded, I've seen the very same thing happen in reverse. People who think WDW is far superior, and who at any opportunity will bash Disneyland.

    If you can't take it don't dish it out.

    And everyone has the RIGHT to say whatever their own personal opinions are about something. To tell someone that they don't have a right to voice an opinion, is bordering on censorship. Would you want someone to tell you that you can't voice an opinion about Disneyland?

    You have already been given on warning by a moderator. Consider this warning number two to drop the personal asides.




    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

  2. #17

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but I am just expressing my right to say what my personal opinions are about something.
    Last edited by WDW1971; 09-22-2012 at 07:28 AM.

  3. #18

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    281

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Why would I have strong opinions to a park I haven't been too?

    Kinda annoyed I'm being interrogated about whether or whether not I've been to WDW just because I have un-popular opinions about the parks.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but for me I'm just trying to see "why" your voicing these opinions. And you still didn't answer the question, How many times have you been to WDW?

    If you have been to the park once, and only spent one day there then to me your opinion doesn't hold a lot of water. Seeing as the OP asked... "Your responses could influence our future vacation plans
    so please write responsibly." I think having accurate information would be better than basing a decision on an opinion built on a single visit to the park.


    There is nothing wrong with posting your opinion, but maybe prefacing it with.... "I've only been to WDW X times, but here's what I think" would help the OP in weighing how relevant your opinion should be in making their decision.

  4. #19

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    736

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but for me I'm just trying to see "why" your voicing these opinions. And you still didn't answer the question, How many times have you been to WDW?

    If you have been to the park once, and only spent one day there then to me your opinion doesn't hold a lot of water. Seeing as the OP asked... "Your responses could influence our future vacation plans
    so please write responsibly." I think having accurate information would be better than basing a decision on an opinion built on a single visit to the park.


    There is nothing wrong with posting your opinion, but maybe prefacing it with.... "I've only been to WDW X times, but here's what I think" would help the OP in weighing how relevant your opinion should be in making their decision.
    I've been twice. My first visit was in 2008 for 4 days, and my second visit was last August for a week. I know I don't have super relevant opinions, but I remember what I remember, and what I remember wasn't all that great.

    Maybe I'm voicing these opinions because the thread asked me too...
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.











  5. #20

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I've been twice. My first visit was in 2008 for 4 days, and my second visit was last August for a week. I know I don't have super relevant opinions, but I remember what I remember, and what I remember wasn't all that great.

    Maybe I'm voicing these opinions because the thread asked me too...
    I am sorry that you had a bad time at WDW but I do not see as to why you need to be rude? Any reason in particular why you did not like what you saw at WDW? I find it hard to believe that anyone would think WDW was not great, even coming from someone who goes to Disneyland all the time. Something really bad must have happened to you and I am sorry that it ended up tainting and ruining your opinion and appreciation for WDW. Just because you did not enjoy yourself at WDW I hope that you do not prevent others from enjoying it because 99% of people would love to go to WDW. I hope you give it a second chance and learn not to compare it always to DLR but enjoy it for what it is.

  6. #21

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    736

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    I am sorry that you had a bad time at WDW but I do not see as to why you need to be rude? Any reason in particular why you did not like what you saw at WDW? I find it hard to believe that anyone would think WDW was not great, even coming from someone who goes to Disneyland all the time. Something really bad must have happened to you and I am sorry that it ended up tainting and ruining your opinion and appreciation for WDW. Just because you did not enjoy yourself at WDW I hope that you do not prevent others from enjoying it because 99% of people would love to go to WDW. I hope you give it a second chance and learn not to compare it always to DLR but enjoy it for what it is.
    Nothing bad happened to me, I just didn't enjoy the park, why is that so hard for everyone to believe? I'm not preventing others to go to WDW, I'm just saying the ugly truth, which is that the parks have lost the former glory they had.
    Can they get back the magic the park once had?
    Yes! Disneyland went through a slump just like this in the 90s, and bounced back. If that little park can do it, so can WDW.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.











  7. #22

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Nothing bad happened to me, I just didn't enjoy the park, why is that so hard for everyone to believe? I'm not preventing others to go to WDW, I'm just saying the ugly truth, which is that the parks have lost the former glory they had.
    Can they get back the magic the park once had?
    Yes! Disneyland went through a slump just like this in the 90s, and bounced back. If that little park can do it, so can WDW.
    Well why did you not enjoy the parks? What was wrong with them? It just seems like every post of yours has something negative to say about WDW, like you really hate the place.

    How do you know the former glory WDW had if your first visit was in 2008? Pictures and other people's perceptions should not influence your view on WDW. I do not see how you experienced WDW when it was in its glory days as you say if you have only gone 4 years ago?

    Also how do you know Disneyland was in a slump in the 90s? It looks like you were probably only 3 in the 90s? Form your own opinions rather than taking those of others.

    Just wondering because I have never encountered someone who hates WDW (specifically MK) as much as you seem to.

  8. #23

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    736

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Well why did you not enjoy the parks? What was wrong with them? It just seems like every post of yours has something negative to say about WDW, like you really hate the place.

    How do you know the former glory WDW had if your first visit was in 2008? Pictures and other people's perceptions should not influence your view on WDW. I do not see how you experienced WDW when it was in its glory days as you say if you have only gone 4 years ago?

    Also how do you know Disneyland was in a slump in the 90s? It looks like you were probably only 3 in the 90s? Form your own opinions rather than taking those of others.

    Just wondering because I have never encountered someone who hates WDW (specifically MK) as much as you seem to.
    Bold: Please read, I've re-stated my problems with the park many times.

    I never said I experienced WDW in its former glory, I wish I had, but I didn't. From pictures, articles, and other fun stuff, I've been able to read about DHS when the theme of Hollywood and show business was actually there, and Future World was devoted to human achievement, not Nemo. When I first went, I wasn't really bothered by it, seeing how I was younger, but on my second trip (after I had started becoming more of a Disney freak), I started asking questions, such as: Why is there a Star Wars ride in a park devoted to show business? Why did a thrill ride about a car being built replace a peek into the history of transportation?
    My own opinions? I didn't have an opinion back then, I wasn't even alive. Many, many, many posters have commented though about how the 50th Anniversary Celebration brought back the spirit of Disneyland. It's a well known fact!
    I would elaborate more on this, but I have to run.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.











  9. #24

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I've been twice. My first visit was in 2008 for 4 days, and my second visit was last August for a week.
    This explains everything. You never experienced the resort in its heyday the way a lot of us who so fiercely defend it are. That's not to say that your opinions are invalid, just that you are coming from a different perspective.

    Walt Disney World as it exists now is pretty overrated. This is bound to happen when ticket prices keep going up and quality keeps going down. Back in the good olden times the place was bursting with greatness and was very well rated, maybe even a little underrated but not now.

    A lot of the truly great places that used to be in the parks have had inferior replacements or worse left vacant. There's still a lot of good things there but I'm in the same boat as Barbaraann. After my last trip in 09 I needed to wait for them to get their act together a little better before going back again.

    The Florida parks change a lot more than their California counterparts. Our cows are apparently much less sacred and it seems that over here there is no such thing as a classic. That makes us east coast fans very jumpy about everything. Our Tomorrowland still pwns Disneyland's though. At least we still have that.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  10. #25

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Let me just say that no, I do not think that WDW is overrated. I think that it is a great vacation destination and I know that every time I go there I have a blast and are always anticipating my next trip.

    There are tons of fun and exciting things to do at WDW that justify a trip. The entrance to MK is amazing with the monorail around Seven Seas Lagoon (and crossing through Contemporary). The castle is so large and inspiring, it can be seen from everywhere around the MK Resort area, and it looks great going down Main Street. There are some great thrill rides at MK that still are popular with today's audience at MK such as Splash, Thunder, Space. There are nice classics that everyone loves such as Pirates and Haunted Mansion. There are good things for the kiddies such as Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, it's a small world, etc. There is something for everyone. And I have only talked about MK.

    Epcot is amazing, being able to travel to all those different countries. We love eating here and experiencing those cultures. It also has Test Track, Soarin, and Maelstrom which are great attractions. And there's slower paced rides such as Ellen's Energy and Living with the Land to relax and spend a while. Also, Epcot has IllumiNations - the best Disney nighttime show ever. Great story, fireworks, fountains, fire, etc. It has got it all.

    DHS has some great stuff to. Hollywood, Sunset, and Echo Lake make it feel like you are in the 30s and 40s of Hollywood. There is the best version of TOT with the grand walk up and how it looms over Sunset. Star Tours is cool in that it is the only one that has the forest outside of it rather than the urban building found at the other versions. Toy Story Mania is always fun and LMA is awesome to watch. American Idol is also fun, you feel like you are actually there. Plus Animation Academy is a great half hour. GMR is like a POTC and is a relaxing ride through. Lastly Fantasmic! is almost as good as IllumiNations and a great way to end the night.

    Animal Kingdom is probably the most beautiful Disney park in the US and has the most detail. Some parts equal to TDS in theme. Expedition Everest, great thrill ride with awesome queue. Kilimanjaro Safaris is unlike anything else besides going to Africa. Festival of the Lion King is a great, energetic show similar to African tribal dances. Dinosaur is a fun ride. Tree of Life is gorgeous and It's Tough to be a Bug is a fun family show.

    Then there is the resort hotels, beautifully themed hotels that take you to another place. Polynesian overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon, relaxing Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans and the old south, the list goes on and on.

    Golf courses, the two best water parks in the country, and tons more fill the property twice the size of Manhattan. It is a great place to visit and definitely not overrated. People can have as much fun there today as they did in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

    Now, I cannot see why anyone would think the place is not great. Something very bad must have happened to make them hate this place.

  11. #26

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    736

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    This explains everything. You never experienced the resort in its heyday the way a lot of us who so fiercely defend it are. That's not to say that your opinions are invalid, just that you are coming from a different perspective.

    Walt Disney World as it exists now is pretty overrated. This is bound to happen when ticket prices keep going up and quality keeps going down. Back in the good olden times the place was bursting with greatness and was very well rated, maybe even a little underrated but not now.

    A lot of the truly great places that used to be in the parks have had inferior replacements or worse left vacant. There's still a lot of good things there but I'm in the same boat as Barbaraann. After my last trip in 09 I needed to wait for them to get their act together a little better before going back again.

    The Florida parks change a lot more than their California counterparts. Our cows are apparently much less sacred and it seems that over here there is no such thing as a classic. That makes us east coast fans very jumpy about everything. Our Tomorrowland still pwns Disneyland's though. At least we still have that.
    You're right, I never experienced it in it's heyday; all the parks were probably really awesome back then.

    WDW's Tomorrowland is awesome, I wish we could get back the PeopleMover.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.











  12. #27

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Considering the fact that the title of this thread invites negative opinions, I don't think anyone should be castigated for being critical here.

    Yes, maybe there are some posters who are particularly quick to offer up a negative opinion on threads that may not call for it, but I think that a thread that directly asks people to say if they think a park is overrated is meant to be a place to discuss those criticisms.

    That being said, no, I don't think WDW is overrated. It's certainly not perfect, but it still gives me my required dose of "magic" every time I go, and to me it holds up compared to DLR. What it may lack in cohesive theming is made up for by the experience of being in a gigantic resort that feels completely removed from the real world. And you gotta admit that the crowds at DLR can get pretty intolerable - especially the way Fantasmic just paralyzes half of the park. MK and WDW overall absorb crowds much better.

    Of course, being a Midwesterner who only gets to visit either of the resorts once in a great while, I'm not in a position to make very direct comparisons, and I am always just so happy to be at any Disney park that I'm not exactly interested in "rating" or "overrating" things
    Very well said. I totally respect this post and Barbaraann's posts in this thread even though I have a different opinion of WDW.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-22-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  13. #28

    • We'll hold them at bay
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    The parks are. The resort isn't.

    The hotels, the lagoon, and everything else that isn't in the parks are just awe-inspiring.

    Can't say the same for the parks. While Animal Kingdom and the World Showcase are amazing, Disney Hollywood Studios lacks a cohesive theme, and Future World at Epcot got off track of "human achievement" a long time ago.

    Magic Kingdom lacks in quality (besides Fantasyland Forest), to be blunt. If you've been to Disneyland before, you'll definitely be disappointed. Though its missing Matterhorn and New Orleans Square, the park has attractions you can't find in Disneyland, including Country Bear Jamboree, Disney's Philarmagic, Monster Inc. Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, and Stitch's Great Escape.
    I like your thinking. World showcase and dak are awe inspiring
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom


  14. #29

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,291
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Have you ever loved a movie so much, that you will watch it over and over, and over again, despite the fact that you know it by heart, and the ending never changes. It has that certain something that makes you feel a certain way inside. It keeps drawing you back because of how it makes you feel.

    For some, the themeparks are like that. They always get the same feeling. They always feel the same way. Their ending never changes. They always come out happy, and satisfied.

    For others, the themeparks are not like that. They don't always get the same feeling. They feel differently, and their ending is not the same. Not necessarily unhappy, but just that lingering doubt about how something is missing.

    It is an emotional feeling that is either there or it isn't. Theme parks cost money, and Disney World is more expensive than a lot of other ones, and when the feelings don't coincide with a person's value in dollars, than I can see an evaluation of "Overrated".

  15. #30

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    121

    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    Yes. I think the Magic Kingdom is very, very dumbed down. You really don't see this clearly until you have been to many other Disney Parks (Paris, Hong Kong, Anaheim) and have something to compare it to. I don't go there anymore. I think it has become, well, sort of embarassing (this is coming from a HUGE Disney theme park fan).

    PS I am not interested in defending or arguing my viewpoint. I just wanted to respond to the open question. Thank you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] 2012 Brings More Great Deals from Fairy Godmother Travel for Walt Disney World
    By BigDisneyKid in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
  2. Apr. 1, 2012: Walt Disney World Renamed!
    By Werner Weiss in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
  3. [Pictures] Tom Bricker's Februrary 2012 Walt Disney World Photos
    By WDWFigment in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
  4. [Fun] walt disney world -A-Character-A-Day 2012 Yearbook
    By mickeyfan4ever in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM
  5. [Question] Walt Disney World at Christmas or in Spring 2012
    By ronf in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •