Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

Comparisons are inevitable, and yet, it still gets back to emotion.

Sometimes a person cherishes a place because of what happened there, and what emotions it evoked in them. They rave about the place, and talk it up so you believe it to be a grand spectacular place. Once you visit you find it ordinary because you didn't share the same experience or feel the same emotions.

No, WDW is not over-rated. Ive been to WDW in the 70s, 80, 90s, 2000s, and not one time was i disapointed ! Has it changed? Yep. Is it better or worse than it used to be? All i can say, is its differant. It will always be differant for every generation who visits the resort. All i know, even in my older years, when i walk through the gates, and see the Castle, i get goose bumps , every time, every decade.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    No, WDW is not over-rated. Ive been to WDW in the 70s, 80, 90s, 2000s, and not one time was i disapointed ! Has it changed? Yep. Is it better or worse than it used to be? All i can say, is its differant. It will always be differant for every generation who visits the resort. All i know, even in my older years, when i walk through the gates, and see the Castle, i get goose bumps , every time, every decade.
    Proves my point. It is an emotional attachment. That's why you get the goosebumps. That's why you return time and time again.

Now I could take this one step further, and say that it's this emotional attachment that the people that run Disney count on.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by traumwelt View Post
    Yes. I think the Magic Kingdom is very, very dumbed down. You really don't see this clearly until you have been to many other Disney Parks (Paris, Hong Kong, Anaheim) and have something to compare it to. I don't go there anymore. I think it has become, well, sort of embarassing (this is coming from a HUGE Disney theme park fan).

PS I am not interested in defending or arguing my viewpoint. I just wanted to respond to the open question. Thank you.
    Well me and many others get to just move up a step in line to get inside MK. Thanks!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    The parks are. The resort isn't.

The hotels, the lagoon, and everything else that isn't in the parks are just awe-inspiring.

Can't say the same for the parks. While Animal Kingdom and the World Showcase are amazing, Disney Hollywood Studios lacks a cohesive theme, and Future World at Epcot got off track of "human achievement" a long time ago.

Magic Kingdom lacks in quality (besides Fantasyland Forest), to be blunt. If you've been to Disneyland before, you'll definitely be disappointed. Though its missing Matterhorn and New Orleans Square, the park has attractions you can't find in Disneyland, including Country Bear Jamboree, Disney's Philarmagic, Monster Inc. Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, and Stitch's Great Escape.
    WDW is my home resort, and sometimes I think your attacks on it are a little hyper-critical and off base. But I can't disagree with anything in this post; in fact I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    This explains everything. You never experienced the resort in its heyday the way a lot of us who so fiercely defend it are. That's not to say that your opinions are invalid, just that you are coming from a different perspective.

Walt Disney World as it exists now is pretty overrated. This is bound to happen when ticket prices keep going up and quality keeps going down. Back in the good olden times the place was bursting with greatness and was very well rated, maybe even a little underrated but not now.

A lot of the truly great places that used to be in the parks have had inferior replacements or worse left vacant. There's still a lot of good things there but I'm in the same boat as Barbaraann. After my last trip in 09 I needed to wait for them to get their act together a little better before going back again.

The Florida parks change a lot more than their California counterparts. Our cows are apparently much less sacred and it seems that over here there is no such thing as a classic. That makes us east coast fans very jumpy about everything. Our Tomorrowland still pwns Disneyland's though. At least we still have that.
    And this is the other side of the coin. Chesire's post describes the current state of WDW. Dapper Dan (and Barbarann) describe why some of us still love it and keep coming back despite its faults. Does TDO take advantage of that? Probably.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Suspended

One funny post by the infamous Chesire in the Disneyland forum:

I find it funny that some people here keep saying how overrated it is, but somehow find time in their everyday life to post messages on a forum devoted to Disneyland.
    It seems like you contradicted yourself there haha. I find it funny that some people here keep saying how overrated WDW is, but somehow find time in their everyday life to post messages on a forum devoted to Disney World.

Don't give a double standard.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The WDW fan versus the DL fan.

The Cubs fan versus the Sox fan.

Not exactly the same, but the responses sure seem to bring out the same range of emotions.

I've been twice. My first visit was in 2008 for 4 days, and my second visit was last August for a week. I know I don't have super relevant opinions, but I remember what I remember, and what I remember wasn't all that great.

Maybe I'm voicing these opinions because the thread asked me too...
    Well there you go, your basing most of your "angst" by what you've read.

Like one poster said, WDW isn't the same as it was, but that doesn't mean is bad, or over rated, it's just different. You have to look at things with a "It is what it is" attitude. It IS WDW, and as it should be, a bit different each time you go. How horrible it would be if it stagnated and never changed, attendance would drop and continue to until it was turned into a strip mall.

Comparisons between parks like traumwelt's

"

Yes. I think the Magic Kingdom is very, very dumbed down. You really don't see this clearly until you have been to many other Disney Parks (Paris, Hong Kong, Anaheim) and have something to compare it to. I don't go there anymore. I think it has become, well, sort of embarassing (this is coming from a HUGE Disney theme park fan).

PS I am not interested in defending or arguing my viewpoint. I just wanted to respond to the open question. Thank you."

drive me nuts! While they both have the "Disney" name they are very much different. Just due to locations they MUST be different. I'll never go over seas to any other park, and the odds are not very good that I'll ever make it to Disney Land even. I have no trouble with that. WDW itches that itch for me very well, and as long as they do I'll keep coming back. I find something new and different every time I go.

• Seasick

What is the standard by which we are deciding whether or not WDW is overrated? When someone says WDW is better than DL because it has twice as many theme parks, then they might be overrating it, when you consider that there aren't actually twice as many attractions. When evaluating the entire resort experience, it's another matter.

Chesire's comments on the MK are spot-on, and the attacks on him are unwarranted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but MK has the highest attendance of any theme park in North America. It has this despite not being the best. From that perspective, it's overrated. A truncated Pirates, a vastly inferior Space Mountain, no subs, no Indy, no Star Tours, no Toad, no Snow White, no Casry Jr, no Storybook land, etc. Yes, Phillharmagic is good and the People Mover is wonderful, but there's no way it compares favourably to Disneyland. I would call the MK itself overrated.

WDW as a whole does a remarkable job of letting one escape the real world for days or weeks at a time, in a highly themed and (sometimes) relaxing environment. It has some unique and amazing parks (AK & Epcot) even if DHS is embarrasing.

If WDW is overrated it is absolutely because the prices keep going up but they aren't wowing us like they used to. When did they last add a jaw dropping attraction? One can leave Islands of Adventure being blown away by Harry Potter, but a Little Mermaid dark ride will not have the same effect.

The higher end hotels are nice, but the value resorts are very pricey for a basic place to stay. Is the "immersion" factor really worth twice what one would pay offsite?

The variety of dining options is nice, but again the prices go up while the offerings get more and more generic. I remember every restaurant had their own drink menu in 2006, but by 2010 they all shared the same options.

If you don't think WDW has impoved upon or maintained its' standards, but you still love it based on "nostalgia", that's fine, but to me that means you are overrating it.

WDW can be labelled as overrated, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I have some problems with how the resort has changed (or not changed) in recent years, but I still consider it worth visiting. I just don't think it's as good as some people make it out to be.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but MK has the highest attendance of any theme park in North America. It has this despite not being the best. From that perspective, it's overrated
    If that were the case, the disappointment from being overrated would catch up with that and cause attendance to drop. But it's held that position for decades. So I doubt people enlarge are leaving feeling disappointed. I think the attendance shows more that it has a loyal following.. Much like a sports team that is miserable.. but yet sells out the stadium regardless. That attendance is more about the loyalty of the fanbase - not that they are there expecting far more from the team then they will get.

You ask in what way is it overrated... and then go onto start a comparison. I would call that 'which is better' and not what is 'overrated' or not. Overrated should be a comparison of the product against ITSELF, not other things. Is it's impression greater than reality? That's what overrated really means.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=overrated

This is what I think of when I think of when I think of something that is overrated. It is something that people talk and talk about and say how great it is, and urge others to visit, and when they do, they don't quite get what all the hype is about.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 09-23-2012 at 09:12 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

While much of Walt Disney World itself may not be overrated, its overall experience is moving in that direction and a lot of the newer additions, developments and changes are quite overrated. Walt Disney World can no longer claim the crown as undisputed king of themed entertainment in Florida. While Universal is aggressively working to fix years of neglect and mismanagement Walt Disney World is itself heading down this path of allowing stasis to take hold and an attempt to coast off of what is already there. Walt Disney World as a place of innovation is more what is overrated. It is an experiencing that is becoming far too safe in its movement forward, something that is not good for the long term health of experience-based destination. Even hints of an impending influx of capital are all still all about building more safe bets.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    One funny post by the infamous Chesire in the Disneyland forum:

It seems like you contradicted yourself there haha. I find it funny that some people here keep saying how overrated WDW is, but somehow find time in their everyday life to post messages on a forum devoted to Disney World.

Don't give a double standard.
    Totally different circumstances, WDW1971. I've commented many times that I do enjoy many parts of WDW, the posters on those boards were commenting on Disneyland as a whole. Since there isn't a forum just for Animal Kingdom, the hotels, and the World Showcase, I come on here periodically looking for threads devoted to them; do I sometimes find threads worth commenting on? Yes, yes I do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some cameras to research, I'll be eagerly awaiting yet another personal attack on me from you when I come back.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Suspended

Totally different circumstances, WDW1971. I've commented many times that I do enjoy many parts of WDW, the posters on those boards were commenting on Disneyland as a whole. Since there isn't a forum just for Animal Kingdom, the hotels, and the World Showcase, I come on here periodically looking for threads devoted to them; do I sometimes find threads worth commenting on? Yes, yes I do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some cameras to research, I'll be eagerly awaiting yet another personal attack on me from you when I come back.
    It is a double standard. Play fair then.

---------- Post added 09-23-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

Bold: Please read, I've re-stated my problems with the park many times.

I never said I experienced WDW in its former glory, I wish I had, but I didn't. From pictures, articles, and other fun stuff, I've been able to read about DHS when the theme of Hollywood and show business was actually there, and Future World was devoted to human achievement, not Nemo. When I first went, I wasn't really bothered by it, seeing how I was younger, but on my second trip (after I had started becoming more of a Disney freak), I started asking questions, such as: Why is there a Star Wars ride in a park devoted to show business? Why did a thrill ride about a car being built replace a peek into the history of transportation?
    My own opinions? I didn't have an opinion back then, I wasn't even alive. Many, many, many posters have commented though about how the 50th Anniversary Celebration brought back the spirit of Disneyland. It's a well known fact!
    I would elaborate more on this, but I have to run.
    Exactly! So you really have no ethos and are in no position to speak so harshly about WDW.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Calling out other members is not allowed on this board. All opinions are welcome here, so by all means, state your opinion, but none of us are ever allowed to beat up on others, through questioning their rational or making personal asides about them. Discuss the topic, not what you see as the failings of others.

Most of us have subjects we are very passionate about, but when we give ourselves permission to beat up our fellow members, primarily because they happen to have an opinion different than our own, we are breaking the rules we all agreed to when we joined this site, and putting our very membership here in jeopardy.

Two mods have already posted in here about being kind to each other and following the rules. It's time this thread got back on topic. The personal back and forth will not continue from this point forward. No apologies to each other. No reference to the bad behavior that went before. Let's go forward making sure we are discussing the topic of this thread, and publicly showing respect for others.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast