Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

Sigh. The Neon Cactus. The memories.

Just got back from my 10th visit to WDW and still feeling the childlike magic that it brings up. BUT for the first time i feel like it needs a lot of updating. Sure a lot of things have been renovated(Thunder Mountain nvr felt so good) BUT Ive never felt so much like a lot of what i was seeing needs updating. I do hope the new Fantasyland is going to be as good as it looks. The plans for HS come through. BTW a cast member told me they had big plans for Epcot. I hope so, whilst WSC is still amazing, large parts of Epcot for me are old and new updating. E.G Soarins screens look broken and blurry. If you're going to Florida and hadn't planned on going to Universal(and like rides) then give Universal a try. Is it WDW no, does it bring the same childlike feelings for me as WDW no. Does it make WDW feel like it been caught napping, for me it does.

I will always hold WDW dear to me, and i guess that what Disney hopes for, and take advantage of. BUT, I am already looking forward to my trip in 2015. Hopefully by then most of the current work and planned work will be done.

Is WDW overated? Did i feel ripped off this year? No. I guess something is only worth what you subjectively feel its worth.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I completely agree that Walt Disney World feels like it was caught napping for the past decade. I also feel like it's just now starting to wake up.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I completely agree that Walt Disney World feels like it was caught napping for the past decade. I also feel like it's just now starting to wake up.
    Amen

• former CM

Yet I'm not seeing a lot of articles like, "Has Walt Disney World Lost It's Magic?" outside of threads on Disney-centered websites,
    and I don't hear too many comics joking about the price increases.

I wonder if that's coming.

If Bob Iger and Thomas Staggs focus foremost on their own salaries as post-Wells Eisner did,
    and if they do let the parks decline, they might attribute attendant attendance declines to "Americans' changing recreational preferences."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Yet I'm not seeing a lot of articles like, "Has Walt Disney World Lost It's Magic?" outside of threads on Disney-centered websites,
    As happened with the decline of Disneyland, longtime fans are like canaries in a coal mine, an early warning system that nobody wants to hear -- until things get so bad they can't be ignored.

That depends on Disney. If they continue raising prices and lowering quality at WDW, yes.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If Bob Iger and Thomas Staggs focus foremost on their own salaries as post-Wells Eisner did,
    and if they do let the parks decline, they might attribute attendant attendance declines to "Americans' changing recreational preferences."
    I think part of the reason for not seeing a larger commentary is that people have stopped caring. Disney continues to make itself and Walt Disney World more childish with every years. A Walt Disney World that is more than kiddie fare is worth commentary, a large scale kiddie playground is not. The numbers of people now flooding to Universal Orlando Resort spending money they never would at Walt Disney World shows the problem exists and is growing.

i don't think as a whole its overrated. but if i would pick what was overrated it would be the parks. Mk is it disneyland? no but it's still is very enjoyable and the new fantasyland will do wonders to the park. so to me magic kingdom will be fine. but the other parks are overrated. DHS please please! do something to that park. even when i saw Fantasmic! i was shocked on how bad it is not talking about the show it itself. but in the condition its in. its a complete joke when compared to Dl or TDS. and Epcot AK DHS really lack in attractions. but as a whole resort its still beautiful. just the 3 parks need alot of work imo

• former CM

In the cover story of the Sept. 23 NY Times Travel section, "Fleeced by Fees," one frequent traveler (law professor Jonathan Turley) used Walt Disney World as the bad example of what airlines are turning into.

"'There is this increasing feeling of a shakedown.' . . . And don't get him started about plane tickets, which he likens to tickets at Disney World. 'You pay this upfront cost, but then you find out that everything in the park is designed to eke out a little bit more of your money. . . I get the feeling that the airline industry is really waiting for my generation to die [Turley was born on May 6, 1961] . . . We're the cranky, loud ones because we have a higher expectation. Every day fewer people remember what it used to be like.'"

Remember the old Tomorrowland attraction, "If You Had Wings"? I used to love that ride (no ticket required) and the thought of flying to WDW seemed to me as close as one could get to going to heaven on Earth. Well for some like Turley, the thought of taking one of today's airlines to today's Walt Disney World is a double negative that doesn't = a positive.

I might still take my family to WDW in a couple of years, but now it's more of an every decade or every other decade trip, and we used to go every year. Of course, since attendance #s are even higher today than they were back then, Bob Iger and Thomas Staggs might not care about making every square foot of the park into part of a dreamland that's striving admirably for perfection.

I do hope that after seeing WDW through my daughter's eyes, I'll report back that the resort is still filled with magic. I certainly think the Disneyland Resort is now and has been since the 50th Anniversary.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'd like to share your optimism. What is it based on?
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    I'd like to share your optimism. What is it based on?
    Possibly partial drunkenness on EPCOT Center nostalgia. It was also funny to read all the posts on the Disney Parks Blog about how many people miss Horizons and Imagination. I hope they can take the hint. Setting aside how much they like to mess around with classics, most of the new additions lately that have made it all the way into the parks have been positives. Besides, I have to be optimistic. If I didn't think things would get better, posting here wouldn't be any fun.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here's another point of disappointment: Epcot turns 30 TODAY. I had no idea... and they had nothing to celebrate it. This is a pretty big number!

WDW really treated it like it's dirty thirty.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Here's another point of disappointment: Epcot turns 30 TODAY. I had no idea... and they had nothing to celebrate it. This is a pretty big number!

There was a D23 celebration yesterday...
    and there was a ceremony, merchandise, and presentations today
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

This isn't true at all - there was a special, all-day D23 event yesterday (that you had to pre-register for) that was awesome if also slightly bittersweet/depressing since pretty much the entire day was about awesome attractions that no longer exist. Today, there were three D23 presentations (two at which Marty Sklar spoke) that were open to all park guests and were awesome. There was also a kind of crappy (at least in comparison) presentation/ceremony put on by park management. And there was TONS of very popular merch - the line to get in Mouse Gear was between 2-4 hrs for most of today.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

The park has the same age as I , anyways I do miss the Dreamfinder a lot, and I feel bad because I never watched cranium command .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast