Question Is the Richard Petty Driving Experience worth it?

I have been to Disney World countless times, but have never done the Richard Petty Driving Experience. I am taking my boyfriend in less than two weeks. He has only been once (in 1998 for his HS senior trip), so this will almost be like taking him for the first time. I have no interest in the driving experience, but he saw something on TV about it and mentioned he may be interested. We only have 4 full days in Orlando (one of which at Universal/IOA). Basically my question is whether it's worth it?
    Longtime Disney fanatic and former cast member at the Backlot Tour

Re: Is the Richard Petty Driving Experience worth it?

I had a friend who did it, and he said it was the greatest activity he has ever done at WDW. Myself, i would do it in a heartbeat, no matter what it costs, but i just dont think id fit into the window ! If he is a fan of stockcar racing, id go for it !

• Program

It looks SO worth it. I'd do it myself... but it's a tad out of my price range right now (a new car and a vacation in the same year!) and my ability to drive stick is about 7/100.

When I participated in this activity, admittedly a few years ago, they had both manual and automatic transmission vehicles available. It was a great experience and, although I don't recommend the in-car video, paying for the photo of you with the car in full 'racing gear' is great for the memories. If you have the money I would actually recommend the shorter 'race' and afterwards opt for the ride along with the professional driver. The process was basically a short course on the rules and the methods for driving the car, viewing a video, signing a waiver, and getting a once over of the car and equipment and then waiting your turn to take to the track! Basically you follow a set out path on the track to keep things safe and are given flag signals on each lap. If you drive well below the track speed they end up giving you a guided pace car but at no point does this become a slow drive. At the end you receive a paper showing your average track time and speed as well as your numbers for each lap.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I want to do the exotic car one. It's pricey, but I would love to be able to say I drove a Ferrari at breakneck speed around a track. I AM THE STIG!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was in Disney World in 2005 with my grandson Sean, and his mom Kathy. Kathy did the Richard Petty Riding Experience. She didn't drive the car, but she rode alongside the driver. She had a great time, and came out of the car with a big smile on her face. Don't remember the price, though.

• Program

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarus View Post
    When I participated in this activity, admittedly a few years ago, they had both manual and automatic transmission vehicles available. It was a great experience and, although I don't recommend the in-car video, paying for the photo of you with the car in full 'racing gear' is great for the memories. If you have the money I would actually recommend the shorter 'race' and afterwards opt for the ride along with the professional driver. The process was basically a short course on the rules and the methods for driving the car, viewing a video, signing a waiver, and getting a once over of the car and equipment and then waiting your turn to take to the track! Basically you follow a set out path on the track to keep things safe and are given flag signals on each lap. If you drive well below the track speed they end up giving you a guided pace car but at no point does this become a slow drive. At the end you receive a paper showing your average track time and speed as well as your numbers for each lap.
    Interesting!

Still... too expensive. I'll be doomed to drive my itty bitty Chevy Spark for the rest of my life