50's Cafe or Sci-Fi for Dinner!

Which one for our only dinner at Hollywood Studios?
    We have reservations for breakfast at Play N Dine since our 2 year old is a HUGE fan!

So for me, DH, DS (17) and DS (2) ~which place would suit us best? I have looked at the menus and they don't help me decide as I really don't care for one over the other! We are more in favor of what the kids would enjoy!
    One and Only WDW Visit: March 2013

DL Visits: Aug 2005, Dec 2007/Jan 2008, Oct 2010, Aug 2011, May 2012, Aug 2012, Nov 2012

Re: 50's Cafe or Sci-Fi for Dinner!

I have never been to 50s but I really really love Sci-Fi. Love that place! the atmosphere is amazing!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• formerly very helpful

You can't go wrong with either. Personally, I'd probably go with 50s, since you sit at tables, which makes a dinner a little nicer together. In Sci-fi, you sit in cars, and everyone is facing the same direction, which would make conversation difficult.
    Of course, kids will LOVE the huge drive in movie screen and humorous film clips showing at Sci-FI, but there are TVs all over in 50s, so the kids can look at that, too.

This probably doesn't help, but as I said, you can't go wrong with either.

(Just be sure to request a car table at Sci-Fi, since there are seats that are not in a car.

• We'll hold them at bay

Generally, Prime Time gets much better reviews than Sci-Fi, but I prefer the latter myself. I really like the cars/movie screen atmosphere
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Inappropriate

I also like the Sci-Fi, and I know the kids would really like it too. Even if they just served rock salt, the atmosphere would still be worth it.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Mostly Harmless.

The interaction at 50's Prime Time is a lot of fun…
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

I'd say for the kids go with 50's, but omg is sci-fi just so cool.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The car tables at Sci-Fi are open on one side to get in and out and all the seats face toward the screen. The server serves from the open side as well. I don't know how they handle the high chair thing and it seems like it might be a bit awkward, but it says they have them, so they probably have it figured out better than me. I love this restaurant and always try to eat here, but I'm also a huge fan of cheesy B sci-fi and horror movies.

Prime time has a lot of interaction with the wait staff. They treat you like family and make sure you eat your vegetables. The servers are a lot of fun and every table has a tv set running clips of old shows. The tables here are probably better suited to handle the little one but the atmosphere is definitely more high energy. It's almost like being in a sitcom where as Sci-fi is more subdued with its permanent night at the drive in feel. Both restaurants are great in their own ways, so it's more the type of experience your family is looking for.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I'm all about atmosphere and the sci fi enclosed dark setting is AWESOME. Love the videos playing and the car tables. The only downside, if any, is the cars I think can only sit about four per car, 2 in front seat, 2 in back seat, you can't sit and view everyone at once. I do believe there's regular tables around the car tables. I don't remember every table being a car table. You may have to request the unique car tables.

Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Closed Account

The Scifi drive-in diner is by far the best thing at DHS.

Micoofy Duck - thanks for the video - its wonderful!
    We don't have to have a highchair for our little one he will be big enough to sit in the car with us and his older brother!
    Do you have to request to get a car table? I thought I saw that comment somewhere?
    One and Only WDW Visit: March 2013

DL Visits: Aug 2005, Dec 2007/Jan 2008, Oct 2010, Aug 2011, May 2012, Aug 2012, Nov 2012

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Dec2009Mama View Post
    Micoofy Duck - thanks for the video - its wonderful!
    We don't have to have a highchair for our little one he will be big enough to sit in the car with us and his older brother!
    Do you have to request to get a car table? I thought I saw that comment somewhere?
    Nearly all the tables are the cars. I think there are only a couple real tables in the back by the kitchen that are probably for guests with mobility issues. It's much more likely that you would have to request a normal table than a car one. I've eaten at the restaurant many times and never had to request a car table. Of course, I've also never made reservations more than a few hours in advance either. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

We've never eaten at sci-fi, but last year we were pleasantly surprised when we went to 50's. it was my family's favorite restaurant of the trip. Food was great and they without a doubt have the best dessert menu around! Looking at the menu, you wouldnt think the deserts looked that great, but when you see them you won't believe how good they are. I couldnt tell you what we had for dessert at any other restuarant we ate at that week, but mmmm, my mouth is watering thinking of my brownie sundae and those AMAZING s'mores my wife had!

Also they have a GREAT waitstaff. They totally make the restaurant and truly make you feel at home. Hopefully if you go, that hasn't changed since I know waitstaff attitudes and service can change on any given day.

Either way though, you can't lose.