• Foolish Mortal

Peter Pan's Flight

So I was on YouTube looking up the difference between the rides at WDW and DL and I came across this statement:

"Creepy fact about this ride is that it never turns off. It actually costs more to shut down all the animatronics each night so they just let it run with no lights and obviously no music. Some cast members can't even do a walkthrough of the ride because it's too creepy. All you hear are the animatronics creaking and moving."

Can anyone debunk this or confirm it?

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Re: Peter Pan's Flight

I've heard a similar thing about Harold in Matterhorn. (Which confuses me because if I remember right he doesn't even move. <.<)

I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. I've actually heard of this before and it's quite possible. WDW and DL are working locations 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. I'm pretty sure the attractions get custodial crews to clean the up the garbage, employees looking for lost and found items, and maintenance. After everything is done, you got about 5 or so hours till reopening.

Anyone who has been on an attraction when it breaks down can tell you that squeaks from Animatronics are quite creepy.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Koubu Pilot

The same thing is true about Small World. They never turn off the animatronics unless the attraction is getting refurbished. Part of it is the skins used (ie the faces of the children) and another part of it is synching up all the dolls.

I'm not so sure that's true about Small World. As a former parades CM who lined up for parades right there outside of the attraction (and sometimes peeked in) I can tell you the dolls were off all the time outside of normal operating hours.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

It is the overall systems that aren't shut off, but the ride system, and mechanics are shut off. So for instance they don't turn the audio off, they simply turn the volume all the way down at night.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• World Famous Gold Mickey

The are alive and they are rehearsing thier parts so they can put on a good show for all the guests.....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by misterdisney View Post
    The are alive and they are rehearsing thier parts so they can put on a good show for all the guests.....
    Is the Magic Kingdom movie still in the works?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• World Famous Gold Mickey

Yes - the last I heard was that they were going to take thier time and try to get it right.

What MK movie are you talking about?

• Suspended

AAs DO turn off at night and show lighting. It's called "night mode", where ALL show lighting and AAs are turned off and all that is left is the work lights. This works very well in the Mansion and it TRULY feels like an empty haunted Manse. I have seen AAs turned off. Cosmotology needs them turned off to check costumes, change costumes, check and do hair and makeup.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    What MK movie are you talking about?
    This one: Jon Favreau Gives Magic Kingdom Update and Discusses how Pixar is Involved in the Disneyland-Based Film - IGN
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Just thought of something. All of the Fantasyland dark rides now shut off during fireworks and go into night mode. The bright white floodlights are on, all animation and vehicles are stopped, and sound is off. Also, if you hang around Fantasyland past closing time by a few minutes, you'll see that the CMs bring the attractions to this mode to prepare for closing. So I'd say yes, all animation does stop. Granted, maintenance may come in during the night and turn things on to adjust, but on the whole I believe that the general rule is that they're turned off.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Do you have a 27B/6?

All vehicles and AAs are shut off at night; it's as much a safety precaution as anything. In order to do a final walk-through in the evening, safety locks have to be put in place, and if anyone (ANYONE) goes inside of the ride, that means that nothing mechanical is allowed to move.

This goes for show hours, as well. If, for instance, a child managed to get out of a ride vehicle, he/she would trip sensors that shut EVERYTHING down, mid-ride.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Just thought of something. All of the Fantasyland dark rides now shut off during fireworks and go into night mode. The bright white floodlights are on, all animation and vehicles are stopped, and sound is off. Also, if you hang around Fantasyland past closing time by a few minutes, you'll see that the CMs bring the attractions to this mode to prepare for closing. So I'd say yes, all animation does stop. Granted, maintenance may come in during the night and turn things on to adjust, but on the whole I believe that the general rule is that they're turned off.
    I was at MK last Sunday for the Halloween party and all Fantasyland rides were operational during the fireworks... even New Fantasyland (which was open for dress rehearsal). Seeing the fireworks go off behind the Beast's castle was a pretty spectacular sight!